2015 NHK Ladies Short Program | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2015 NHK Ladies Short Program

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Anyway guys (most of) the ladies were a hot mess today, let's not talk about the score about their messy programs but pray for them for tomorrow's free

David21

On the Ice
Not according to the judges, atleast they finally did something right, and I have to say her 3f-3lo is a thing of beauty, I can't count the number of times her 3-3 was fully rotated according to many commentators and skaters and was still called, it's soo nice to see all her hard work and risks finally paying off!

Can't tell if you're serious or not...:unsure:

Enidan

On the Ice
Ashley beating Mao on SS, I do not agree with it. This should put a stop to Mao over-scoring BS

She should. Wagner has full package. Let me show you the non-skating example so you can understand better. Wagner skating is like a singer who can sing and dance at the same. Mao skating is like a singer who can sing only or dance only. When she sing, she can't dance, when she dance, she can't sing. Hope you now understand why Wagner beat mao on SS.

Red Helicopter

Rinkside
I think her jumps are actually better than last season. But I would like to see one of those great jumpamatrons nonetheless. I think it's actually funny that she gets a ! for her flip this season, when it's actually better than last season, where she never got a ! for it (because she didn't use her left leg for the take-off last season). But as long as the tech panel isn't allowed to use slow-mo for the take-off this won't change. But I think she's getting better. :yes:
No she doesn't. Check this toeloop in slow motion. Effectively, she prerotates 3/4 turn, and then underrotates more than 1/4. You can hardly even call this a triple jump. Judges should doubt whether to call this UR or downgraded jump, but they mark it as clean one. That's ridiculous missjudgement.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
She should. Wagner has full package. Let me show you the non-skating example so you can understand better. Wagner skating is like a singer who can sing and dance at the same. Mao skating is like a singer who can sing only or dance only. When she sing, she can't dance, when she dance, she can't sing. Hope you now understand why Wagner beat mao on SS.

Sure. Whatever you say, Endian. :whack:

gotoschool

Medalist

Mao's skating skills are definitely better than Ashley Wagner's. Mao gains smooth speed through her deep edges with very little pumping of her arms or shoulders while maintaining erect posture, she also has more expansive rink coverage than Ashley, and Mao glides and keeps her edges in contact with the ice in her steps throughout the program even during her expressions in the middle. I think Mao should have higher PCS in the SP than Ashley.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
No she doesn't. Check this toeloop in slow motion. Effectively, she prerotates 3/4 turn, and then underrotates more than 1/4. You can hardly even call this a triple jump. Judges should doubt whether to call this UR or downgraded jump, but they mark it as clean one. That's ridiculous missjudgement.
So one toeloop that's a little short on the landing shows you that she hasn't improved? To me her take-offs look better than last season and she gets more height than last season, so she has improved her jumps in my opinion. And I repeat myself: As long as the tech-panel isn't allowed to review the take-offs in slow-mo (to check the rotation) she will get those jumps ratified.

Globetrotter

Medalist

I have no issue of Wagner scoring higher overall PCS. Mao had a fall on the 3A, popped her lutz and the transitions were visibly affected by the mistakes and the overall performance was impacted, so rightly, her PCS dropped. However, since you are talking about SS, I have to disagree. SS assesses edge and blade work, stroking, lean/depth of edges, ice coverage and multidirectional skating. Wagner to me has some of the worst edge work among the top ladies. Her edges are shallow, she clearly gains speed by muscling them, not using the edges and she loses speed going into the jumps, a sure sign of lack of edge mastery. I also notice that her coverage is less than Mao and certainly dun get as much of multidirectional skating and edge changes. For that matter, I think Wagner should get only low 7s for SS among the components but she certainly deserves high PE/IN.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I have no issue of Wagner scoring higher overall PCS. Mao had a fall on the 3A, popped her lutz and the transitions were visibly affected by the mistakes and the overall performance was impacted, so rightly, her PCS dropped. However, since you are talking about SS, I have to disagree. SS assesses edge and blade work, stroking, lean/depth of edges, ice coverage and multidirectional skating. Wagner to me has some of the worst edge work among the top ladies. Her edges are shallow, she clearly gains speed by muscling them, not using the edges and she loses speed going into the jumps, a sure sign of lack of edge mastery. I also notice that her coverage is less than Mao and certainly dun get as much of multidirectional skating and edge changes. For that matter, I think Wagner should get only low 7s for SS among the components but she certainly deserves high PE/IN.

I was preparing to reply to Enidan but I have nothing more to add/say after reading your post:agree:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Poor Anna! :cry:

I literally almost fell over when I saw Mao's score even though I was laying down...a little less shocked about Ashley's but still surprised.

Way to go, Satoko! Make that final! :cheer:

desertskates

Medalist
I was too sleepy to get up and watch, but when I saw the scores, my first thought was for Anna :( I watched the video of ladies 1-5. I think the placements seem fair. I'm sure Mao and Ashley will bring things back in the long, and Miyahara is almost sure to win a medal (maybe even a gold one) and a trip to the finals!
I'm thinking that it might be wise for Mao to ditch the triple axel in the short, but that's just my opinion. And Ashley really should have gone for a color for her dress. I love the sparkle, but bright blue or yellow would have taken it up several notches. On to the long... :coffee:

tulosai

Record Breaker
I was too sleepy to get up and watch, but when I saw the scores, my first thought was for Anna :( I watched the video of ladies 1-5. I think the placements seem fair. I'm sure Mao and Ashley will bring things back in the long, and Miyahara is almost sure to win a medal (maybe even a gold one) and a trip to the finals!
I'm thinking that it might be wise for Mao to ditch the triple axel in the short, but that's just my opinion. And Ashley really should have gone for a color for her dress. I love the sparkle, but bright blue or yellow would have taken it up several notches. On to the long... :coffee:

Anna was really hard to watch you are in a way lucky you missed it :( I really hope she's not actually injured and that she'll be able to recover in the long and pull up from 11th :( It really is heartbreaking.

David21

On the Ice
Mao's skating skills are definitely better than Ashley Wagner's. Mao gains smooth speed through her deep edges with very little pumping of her arms or shoulders while maintaining erect posture, she also has more expansive rink coverage than Ashley, and Mao glides and keeps her edges in contact with the ice in her steps throughout the program even during her expressions in the middle. I think Mao should have higher PCS in the SP than Ashley.

Skating Skills is the only component where Mao is clearly better than Ashley. On the other components, Ashley is at least equal to if not better than Mao. :thumbsup:

OniBan

Final Flight
Just caught with the vids of the ladies, and wow I did not expect those results. But these be exciting times - it makes the freeskate even more fun to anticipate because it's anyone's game at this point, I think.

My heart goes out to Anna P. - those falls look utterly painful, the last one(in the middle of a step sequence!) being so heartbreaking because you can see she was just DONE with it >.< Her body just flopped in defeat, it was so hard to watch. I hope she's ok. Much love to the audience in Japan for clapping and cheering her on through the last moments of her program.

Last edited:

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It's funny how more obvious technical mistakes like, for instance, Gracie's 3F edge in the TEB SP did not cause this much indignation but take one slightly underrotated jump in a very difficult combination and it's the end of the world.

Hmm, I seem to recall plenty of indignation about Gracie's triple flip edge!

chloepoco

Medalist
I thought Satoko was just wonderful; felt she should have been a bit higher in PCS. She has such a wonderful sophistication about her.