2015 NHK Ladies Short Program | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2015 NHK Ladies Short Program

3dsushi

On the Ice
Im glad Satoko skated clean and in 1st place. Mao Asada had her run, but she needs to disappear. Satoko is the future of Japan. And her triple-triple is FULLY ROTATED. So far Gracie has the highest sp score this season, she can easily win both GPF and Worlds if skated clean. And she will.:agree:

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Well this was an interesting sp. Very few clean or even close to clean skates. I thought Mirai's toe was unquestionably clean, but still it was by far the best it's ever looked. Was anyone was perplexed by the goe on her loop? I thought it would have been higher. It was clean and I thought it had great height, great flow and extension going out and definitely steps going in but only a +.3. Two judges gave her a minus 1 and two gave her a plus 2. Definitely a spread. I wonder if anyone could analyze why that would be? Still it was great to see her go after it. She looks like she's in a good place right now so I'm a happy fan!

I agree with everything you said. I thought the Eurosport commentators were going to die of excitement over the height on her loop. I didn't understand the negative GOE on that element at all. I am wondering why the USFS or Tom hasn't called that out (maybe they have) I think the coaches of these skaters need to call this out- look what happened to Ross Miner at Rostelecom. Every point matters. I also don't think PSC should hold much weight in the short program either, it's a technical program. Even though Mao and Ashley do wonderful elements they both botched major elements and I question Mirai being scored behind them. The 3 toe looked pretty clean to me as well.

Leonardo

Final Flight
She wants the OGM.

She's back for the love for the sport, not medals, fame or glory (she doesn't need it). She wasn't even sure if she wanted to come back this season, 2018 is still a huge question mark.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I hope people don't get offended by what I'm going to say but, Courtney Hick reminds me of Tonya Harding during the 1991-1992 season. Very powerful jumps and though she's not the most flexible skater. She's a great performer.

Actually, noone should be offended with the comparison and it's appropriate because in hindsight, I realize Tonya had a LOT more to offer besides jumps, just like Courtney. The B. Eurosport guys really noted how wonderful her step sequence was.

Tonya had great jumps sure, but she also had some great moves in the field and great spins.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Mirai got robbed...hope Mao has a good FS. I can't even comment on Anna...

I agree 100% and since this is her only GP event, I hope she has the free skate of her life. You can do it girl!!:cheer2:

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
So, has Mirai ever danced or done gymnastics at a high level?

Mirai has taken a lot of dance over the years, especially ballet which around 2009-2011 she was doing nearly every day IIRC, but to my knowledge no, she has never done either of these things at a high level- just as a supplement to her figure skating. To my knowledge she has no gymnastics experience at all.

jg2000

On the Ice
Im glad Satoko skated clean and in 1st place. Mao Asada had her run, but she needs to disappear. Satoko is the future of Japan. And her triple-triple is FULLY ROTATED. So far Gracie has the highest sp score this season, she can easily win both GPF and Worlds if skated clean. And she will.:agree:

:slink:

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
Good Morning Everyone, I have a question for you. Most of you know that I was dancer before I skated and when I watch Mirai, I can't help but think she may have danced or done gymnastics before or during her skating career. She reminds me of me. In my case, there was no such thing as a camera or anything other than a judge who basically dinged you if you fell and that's about it. So, has Mirai ever danced or done gymnastics at a high level?

Mirai still has a beautiful spins and one of the best Ina Bauer's of all time. I'm not always shocked when she looses to Ashley but, today, I'm completely shocked. I hope she can lay down a strong LP if for no other reason that a boost of confidence as this is her only GP event.

I don't know to what level she practices it now but Mirai Nagasu took daily ballet classes in 2010. She also worked with James Yorke and Frank Carrol. Yorke was a former ice dancer who taught Mirai until his death. Carrol teaches his students with several assistance who specialize in a participial field, such as ballet or modern dance.

Leonardo

Final Flight

:hpull:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Mirai has taken a lot of dance over the years, especially ballet which around 2009-2011 she was doing nearly every day IIRC, but to my knowledge no, she has never done either of these things at a high level- just as a supplement to her figure skating. To my knowledge she has no gymnastics experience at all.

Thanks for the response Tulosai. Ballet is great for skaters and gymnasts alike. It makes you strong, flexible, and focussed. It's great training for any athlete. I've even had Wide Receivers from the football team attend my Ballet Classes. What puzzles me about Mirai and Polina Edmunds, with all their training, is that they haven't learned to rotate faster in the air. I know Polina is quite tall but, how tall is Mirai?

Last edited:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
She's back for the love for the sport, not medals, fame or glory (she doesn't need it). She wasn't even sure if she wanted to come back this season, 2018 is still a huge question mark.

Im glad Asada is back, but let's be real, that's what they all say after they don't win the OGM, and then backtrack on their previous statement that they're done after Olympics (e.g. Patrick Chan). I bet my next paycheck that if Asada had won Sochi, she'd be enjoying retirement right now.

Last edited:

Enidan

On the Ice

Originally Posted by 3dsushi View Post
Im glad Satoko skated clean and in 1st place. Mao Asada had her run, but she needs to disappear. Satoko is the future of Japan. And her triple-triple is FULLY ROTATED. So far Gracie has the highest sp score this season, she can easily win both GPF and Worlds if skated clean. And she will.

:laugh2: Remember last year @ US national kaka. it can happen again @ GPF and World unless you try to kidnap the Diva :laugh:

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I enjoy Ashley's programs and agree with the placements but her programs are almost devoid of traditions. Oh wait. Are we counting her ott facial expressions as transitions again? Also, Celine Dion or Streisand don't "dance and sing" either. She will also NEVER get 140+ let alone near her Nationals joke score in international competition, no matter how much she gyrates around...

Last edited:

Enidan

On the Ice
I agree and I definitely have to laugh at those 11.10 points she got for her combo considering the flip and loop both were clearly underrotated. Asada should have been behind Leonova in 7th place at best.

ITA. I guess she is just lucky with her placement since the competition held in her country. You have to have real talent. You can not get the medal with money or cheated the jumps all the time. That's why she never win OGM.

Leonardo

Final Flight
That's what they all say after they don't win the OGM, and then backtrack on their previous statement that they're done after Olympics (e.g. Patrick Chan). I bet my next paycheck that if Asada had won Sochi, she'd be enjoying retirement right now.

She's not that kind of skater, sorry if you can't see that. If she simply wanted to win, she would make easier choices, not challenge herself everytime with that crazy difficulty, she wouldn't re-learn technique from scratch, she would skip the grand prix events and so on. Asada is a warrior, and her biggest challenge is overcoming her own limitations.

winky97

Medalist
Anna was really hard to watch you are in a way lucky you missed it :( I really hope she's not actually injured and that she'll be able to recover in the long and pull up from 11th :( It really is heartbreaking.

Just watched on Icenetwork. Ugh! Anna took some hard falls in that program. You are right, it was quite heartbreaking. I hate to see a program go like that for any skater. I too hope she did not get injured from that.

Leonardo

Final Flight
ITA. I guess she is just lucky with her placement since the competition held in her country. You have to have real talent. You can not get the medal with money or cheated the jumps all the time. That's why she never win OGM.

Is there any kind of policy for trolls? Seriously.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Actually, noone should be offended with the comparison and it's appropriate because in hindsight, I realize Tonya had a LOT more to offer besides jumps, just like Courtney. The B. Eurosport guys really noted how wonderful her step sequence was.

Tonya had great jumps sure, but she also had some great moves in the field and great spins.

Absolutely true. I don't know how fast Courtney is but Tonya Harding was lightening fast. She also had a beautiful Ina Bauer and that giant circle she'd do on one foot and she'd drag the pick of her other skate and it made a really cool sound. You could hear the reaction in the crowd. I hope that made sense.

jg2000

On the Ice

If Mao doesn't have "real talent," how many skaters actually do? This wasn't a good skate by any means, but wow, that's insulting to Mao and everyone who placed below her as well (and frankly those who placed above, too).

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Guys I really feel horrible for Anna. People give her such a hard time and make fun of her a lot, but she tries so hard and always attacks her programs. She doesn't pop, the jumps get around, she gives it her all, but these falls are just heartbreaking. She is so beautiful and so talented, I would hate to see her quit skating now. Her season thus far is really reminding me of some of Kostner's rougher years :( . If she's hurt I hope she takes time to heal, and if she's not hurt I hope she works out whatever is causing these problems. I don't think puberty is to blame, she's not THAT tall and she gets the triples around, when she lands the big combos they are great, I just don't know what she needs. Also, she may not realize it but she has a lot of fans, she's a good skater, British Eurosport and CBC and even TAT like her a lot. Poor girl. I hope she figures things out and continues, even if it winds up being for Ukraine. I like her a lot, it's so hard to see her and Julia go from being tough as nails 15 year olds churning out clean skate after clean skate to being in meltdown mode just 2 years later.