2015 Rostelecom Cup Ice Dance FD | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2015 Rostelecom Cup Ice Dance FD

Rissa

Record Breaker
Some of those clips in WATTS are hilarious, some are terrifying.

Aaand just when I thought that they showed Yuzu and Han Yan.

The winner in the crawling beaver baby, lol.

katha

On the Ice
He sounded actually appreciative towards them, I didn't register sarcasm tbh
If it was Nicky Slater talking about that lift, yeah that was appreciation for S/K. He already talked during SA about how very difficult and dangerous that lift is. And how impressive it is that Nikita can control it as well as he does. I agree, IMO it's a highlight of the program and I don't get why people think it's "safe" in any way? It's a very challenging lift, she changes positions, he's in a difficult position and changes directions and edge.

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
The final flight were all good but I thought W/P were the best. I, and probably most people, love to be entertained in a giddy way, but a top notch FD doesn't have to be cute and funny to be high quality. I think W/P took quite a risk with their FD music choices and for me, it has paid off. In particular, seems the Dinah Washington/Max Richter mashup is proving to be a love it or hate it affair--count me as a lover!!!!!! But, even if the music choice is not one's cup of tea, Kaitlyn and Andrew are obviously pouring their hearts and souls into this program. It is absolutely stunning and imo the best work they've done to date.

Last edited:

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
I find Ice Dance very hard to relate to as I just don't get the levels but I have to see I really enjoyed those Free Dances, all very entertaining and totally different. It must be tough for the judges to score on the PCS side.

I think W/P deserved their victory, just about. I love the way the programme builds all the way to the end, I like the choreographic lift at the end, I like the music. You can definitely see they are giving 100%, I wouldn't be surprised if they are higher on the Worlds podium this year. I like last years programme but I found after the GPF they went downhill a bit, hopefully that won't happen this year.

I was never a huge fan of C/L but I love both their programmes this year. They have a real sense of fun and enjoyment about them and for me are probably the best programmes they have done. It was good to see S/K skate so well, they don't get a lot of love, but with these scores and performances they are making a play for Russian No. 1, I would have them ahead of I/Z on both sets of marks.

I'm not a huge fan of G/F programme. There emoting is OTT (very Babs) which for me does play well with the Schindlers list theme and I find the second choice of music from WE a bit odd (maybe inappropriate), it has nothing to do with the holocaust and the suffering of Jews. The BESP guys love it. For I/Z they didn't have a great short dance but came out fighting and delivered a great programme but I did find it a bit scrappy towards the end and one or two of the lifts looked a bit messy.

I didn't like the end to the Korean dance where she is spinning and he is skating around a bit, but a nice programme none the less. The Belarussians were a distant 7th and while they were definitely slow across the ice there was some nice moments to their skating. They only got 68 but looking at their bio they got 90 in the Denkova/Staviski cup, it must have been very generous marking there.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Am I the first to point out that everyone in the FD got a -1 deduction on something? When was the last time this happened?

Kinga

Medalist
I start appreciating W/P FD. It is intricated, fluid, with powerful movements. Though I agree it is a bit difficult to get into. It might be due to the first part of the monotonous music being far too long (IMO). It should only serve as the intro, then they should use another piece that matches the mood and then Einaudi. It would bring some diversity and thus could help to engage the audience more.

Yes, C/L were fun, but my problem with them is that it is same old same old style. They struggle to branch out. It does not help that they are quite slow.

Sackie

Medalist
Well choosing the entries for the GPF has now got tough for the Dance event! With the results here and with what will probably be the results next week those to make it for sure will be W/P, C/L, C/B, S/S and H/D. Then there will be 3 teams S/K, B/S AND G/P all with a 2nd and a 3rd place. But because of G/P didn't get to skate their free dance they can't go on the total scores to decide. And that leaves 8 teams but only 7 spots! Will G/P get in over the lowest of the other 2 teams because they were in France?

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Well choosing the entries for the GPF has now got tough for the Dance event! With the results here and with what will probably be the results next week those to make it for sure will be W/P, C/L, C/B, S/S and H/D. Then there will be 3 teams S/K, B/S AND G/P all with a 2nd and a 3rd place. But because of G/P didn't get to skate their free dance they can't go on the total scores to decide. And that leaves 8 teams but only 7 spots! Will G/P get in over the lowest of the other 2 teams because they were in France?

If next week ends with S/S in first, B/S in second and H/D in third, unless B/S score really well, 66+ and 101+, they're gonna be out of the final and S/K in their place. G/P probably are going to get that final spot for TEB, unless H/D do some major mistakes next week. Other than that, I don't think there's gonna be much shuffling around. Though, you never know...

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Today's best FD for me is Cappellinni/Lanotte! Weaver/Poje rightfully earned their title, but my heart is more drawn to C/L. I was not really a fan of their skating until this season, but I really love them now. I can picture a romantic scenery of Italy where the skaters are eating sweet Italian gelato and sitting near a fountain in a bright day during their performance. So lovely and vivid. :luv17:

I am pleased with the fact that S/K would have a good chance of going to GPF by winning a bronze here.

Last edited:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Today's best FD for me is Cappellinni/Lanotte! Weaver/Poje rightfully earned their title, but my heart is more drawn to C/L. I was not really a fan of their skating until this season, but I really love them now. I can picture a romantic scenery of Italy where the skaters are eating sweet Italian gelato and sitting near a fountain in a bright day during their performance. So lovely and vivid. :luv17:
And (let me say that without bitterness, just as I see it from the inside) soooo stereotypical :laugh:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I watched the free dance with my housband. They isn't interested in FS, thus they doesn't know the skaters. When he saw S/K said they are so beautiful and elegant together.:cool:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
If they treated this in an abstract way and were in black or grey sombre clothes and portraying the emotions of the holocaust, I could take it. However, the literal clothes and the cheesy, OTT-ness of this is awful. It feels like they are doing Auschwitz On Ice.

Did you remember Ilynikh/Katsalapov's Schindler list? They won the JWCH 2010 with it. Then I thought they will be the next Oly Champion 2014. That was great!

rain

Record Breaker
The final flight were all good but I thought W/P were the best. I, and probably most people, love to be entertained in a giddy way, but a top notch FD doesn't have to be cute and funny to be high quality. I think W/P took quite a risk with their FD music choices and for me, it has paid off. In particular, seems the Dinah Washington/Max Richter mashup is proving to be a love it or hate it affair--count me as a lover!!!!!! But, even if the music choice is not one's cup of tea, Kaitlyn and Andrew are obviously pouring their hearts and souls into this program. It is absolutely stunning and imo the best work they've done to date.

Total agreement here. I find this program to be really powerful. It's not at all literal storytelling, but it does successfully create a mood and emotion that I find very moving. On a more basic note, I also find the movements in the choreography very visually interesting. This music was a big risk, but I'm glad they took it. And I remember some people complaining last year that their choice of Four Seasons wasn't risky enough! For me it's a tossup right now between this and the Four Seasons program for which is my favourite of theirs. I'm probably the only one here who HATED Je Suis Malade (they got me with Maria de Buenos Aries though).

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I find W/P and C/B lacking in so many ways. They may be technically gifted but that's all they have at the moment program wise. They don't inspire anything.

Unless the Italians can up the tech and one of the Russians finally decide to become consistent. All I have are the French.

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
Am I the first to point out that everyone in the FD got a -1 deduction on something? When was the last time this happened?

I noticed that too. Bizarre. Were all of the deductions for different things?

Updated: never mind, someone answered that on the last page. Still bizarre, though.

Last edited: