2015 Trophée Bompard Ladies SP | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2015 Trophée Bompard Ladies SP

Tutto

Record Breaker
That's funny. I'm more distracted by when skaters don't cover their boots. I'm always looking at the boots instead of their lines and wondering about why they look so beat up. Halfway over the boot is my favorite for sure. Not only for the look but most importantly the feel it provides. Not sure if you've ever skated with the the front half of your skates exposed (just the toes) but it has a certain aesthetic feel to it that I really like and provides a confidence with it.

I guess for confidence & convenience all skaters would prefer just to wear their training costumes for competitions but thank God it is not allowed - what would we got to discuss then?

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Figure Skating w/o costumes would just be another sport, lol. How many other sports allow costumes (other than wrestling)?

Speaking of costumes, I found Roberta's white gloves distracting since some of the overhead shots of her skating made her look like her arms were cut off. It was creepy. I get that she wanted to look like Vivian in PW but it was too literal. I mean, Marin Honda is supposed to be Lydia in Beetlejuice but she's not wearing a literal copy of the wedding dress. I like costumes that are inspired by but don't necessarily look exactly like the movie equivalent. Elena's Titanic costume comes to mind.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I guess for confidence & convenience all skaters would prefer just to wear their training costumes for competitions but thank God it is not allowed - what would we got to discuss then?

Maybe we could discuss how they performed on the ice :p

ordinary person

On the Ice
Figure Skating w/o costumes would just be another sport, lol. How many other sports allow costumes (other than wrestling)?

Speaking of costumes, I found Roberta's white gloves distracting since some of the overhead shots of her skating made her look like her arms were cut off. It was creepy. I get that she wanted to look like Vivian in PW but it was too literal. I mean, Marin Honda is supposed to be Lydia in Beetlejuice but she's not wearing a literal copy of the wedding dress. I like costumes that are inspired by but don't necessarily look exactly like the movie equivalent. Elena's Titanic costume comes to mind.

I have read several complains about gloves before and all i have to say is, this is supposed to be a winter sport, sooo who gives a hoot about skaters wearing gloves?

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Speaking of costumes, I found Roberta's white gloves distracting since some of the overhead shots of her skating made her look like her arms were cut off.
Aah... but the problem there, was not her gloves... it was the overhead shot...

Overhead shots have no place in figure skating. Skycams distract skaters as they whizz about, some of them are capable of going right down to ice level where a malfunction or operator error could be dangerous... and skating choreography is not designed to be viewed from above anyway. They are as useless and irritating as closeups during a live performance.

If I had my way, TV directors would be given an electric shock every time they used an overhead shot for figure skating... increasing in intensity with each successive transgression. Thankfully, skycams seem to be somewhat out of fashion compared to a few years ago. Perhaps as a result of Patrick Chan's K&C comment? I'd like to think so...

julie17

Rinkside
Hi members and lurkers. I am a long time lurker, but I had to join the club to give my opinion on Gracie's short program. Wow!! If she skates like this at Nationals and Worlds, there is no-one that can beat her.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hi members and lurkers. I am a long time lurker, but I had to join the club to give my opinion on Gracie's short program. Wow!! If she skates like this at Nationals and Worlds, there is no-one that can beat her.

Welcome julie17! Post often and post long!

Franklin99

Medalist

Welcome to GS, Julie17.

In regards to Gracie, no way is she beating a clean Mao or Liza at worlds. 73 is her best score for going clean...ish (the judges completely ignored her lip), while the other 2 are attempting a 4 triple SP, including a 3A and a 3-3.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Welcome to GS, Julie17.

In regards to Gracie, no way is she beating a clean Mao or Liza at worlds. 73 is her best score for going clean...ish (the judges completely ignored her lip), while the other 2 are attempting a 4 triple SP, including a 3A and a 3-3.

Should be 68, for real. Or at least 71. A lip with +0.8 goe and not the cleanest landing, along with 34 pcs make no sense :noshake: But worlds will be in USA, so, yes, she definitely is a favorite for the gold.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Should be 68, for real. Or at least 71. A lip with +0.8 goe and not the cleanest landing, along with 34 pcs make no sense :noshake: But worlds will be in USA, so, yes, she definitely is a favorite for the gold.

Well at least we can all play a drinking game/cookie (not cooking) game of "have one when a pun on Gracie's name is spotted" i mean how many variations of "Gold wins Gold" would we be subjected to?

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
What kind of cooking game.

LOL, that was actually meant to be cookie... not cooking. The idea being if you don't want to drink, just eat a cookie rather than take a shot for a less inebriated version of a drinking game.

i guess you could cook something in response.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Welcome to GS, Julie17.

I actually think Gracie has a good chance of beating clean Mao and Liza. Worlds is going to be held in Boston, expect MAJOR Sochi-level PCS inflation for Gold and Wagner. The U.S. is desperate to have a skater on the podium.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Liza without a 3axel is more then beatable. We are not talking about Yuna Kim here.

Well at least we can all play a drinking game/cookie (not cooking) game of "have one when a pun on Gracie's name is spotted" i mean how many variations of "Gold wins Gold" would we be subjected to?

I think (Yuna) KIM means "gold" in Korean. :)

Edited to add: Ice dancer Jamie Silverstein :love: won silver at 2000 U.S. Nationals. :)

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I think (Yuna) KIM means "gold" in Korean. :)

And Boyang's surname, Jin also means "gold" in Chinese.

If the ladies' gold by Gracie and men's gold by Boyang at the 2018 Olympics, that would be very funny. :laugh:

gotoschool

Medalist
I actually think Gracie has a good chance of beating clean Mao and Liza. Worlds is going to be held in Boston, expect MAJOR Sochi-level PCS inflation for Gold and Wagner. The U.S. is desperate to have a skater on the podium.

Do you think someone really beats someone else even when they get the benefit of MAJOR inflation? I don't. If I think the scoring is unjust or manipulated, I won't acknowledge the official results as legitimate. But, everyone is entitled to their own view.

Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
^For the record books it does. *cough*Sochi*cough*.

I think most people come to figure skating looking for great performances and don't look that long at a number and placement in the record book. High view counts and great praise for performances that didn't win on youtube, for example, often show this. Social media and access to videos has also changed the way the decision of judges is perceived because it is subject to more scrutiny and criticism.

Last edited: