2015 Worlds Gala Exhibition March 29 | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2015 Worlds Gala Exhibition March 29

mylifeback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Yeah, I could start on those.

LOL -- 2 hours of CBC Gala coverage & and they didn't show any Americans (not even Silver medalists Chock/Bates). Also, no Elena Radionova either.

I watched it live while recording, but I just knew they wouldn't show Chock & Bates, LOL.

MIM

Medalist
Even though I love Denis Ten to death, I could not dare to watch his gala program because of his well.. costume:rolleye:. It made me cringe. IDK.
But, WOW!!! He is born to be a dancer, artist. You can teach someone how to skate maybe, but I don't think there is something you cannot teach. he must be born with that kind of talent to move to the music so smoothly and musically. Bravo! :bow:

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
For those of you in the UK, the Eurosport On Demand service on Sky has finally been updated. So, for those of you (like me) that missed the first half-hour of the Gala because of the Sky EPG being up the creek, you can now download it.

To access Eurosport On Demand, press the TV Guide button, then select "Catch Up TV". Then press the "Channel Down" button twice to get onto the third page. The Eurosport programmes are in the box at the top left.

Here is a table showing what is on the On Demand Service, along with the dates the programmes expire (I don’t know what time of day they will disappear):

SegmentExpires
Ladies ShortThursday 02 April
Pairs FreeThursday 02 April
Free DanceFriday 03 April
Men’s ShortFriday 03 April
Ladies FreeSaturday 04 April
Men’s FreeSaturday 04 April
GalaSunday 05 April

Please be aware that all the programmes on Eurosport’s On Demand service are all in Standard Definition.

My HD recording from Sunday started half-way through Nam Nguyen’s routine. So, now that I’ve reached Nam on the downloaded version, I’m going to switch over to it. But, since the snooker has now started, it won’t be until later on that I get back to watching the Gala.

By the way, that was a bad job Eurosport did going to an ad break straight after Radionova finished her routine, and only rejoining towards the end of Wang/Liu's routine. Could they not have waited until the interval, and put in extra ad breaks there?!

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Finally got the rest of the Gala watched yesterday, and just wanted to make a few comments.

Firstly, shame on Eurosport for having ad breaks instead of showing some of the routines. And then arriving back for the second half late. Rather than showing 2 routines during the interval (Papadakis / Cizeron’s FD and Fernandez’s FS), could they not have just shown one and had longer adverts then, instead of having breaks during the show?

Not really too much to say about the first half.

I’ve already complained about Eurosport putting on adverts during most of Wang / Lui’s routine. And to add insult to injury, there are no copies of it on YouTube. But, from the small bit that Eurosport did catch, it looked like a beautiful routine.

As some people have been pointing out, there were lots of mistakes in the information about the Gala routines. For example, Gracie did a totally different routine to what the info said she would be doing. And, I have to be honest, I think I would have preferred her doing the “Shake It Off” routine to the one she did actually do.

Chock / Bates. Beautiful performance of this routine as always. But, erm, was Nicky imagining things, or did anybody else see something they shouldn’t have at the beginning of the highlights. Because I didn’t.

Sui / Han’s plants vs. zombies routine wasn’t as good as it normally is. It is usually very slick, but this performance actually looked sloppy. There were a few times where they were just standing there waiting for the music to catch up, and the bit where they do the light show was very half-hearted. Which is a shame, as it has been one of the most enjoyable routines of the season.

The second half kicked off with Ziquan Zhao. Absolutely loved it! OK, so I’m probably biased. I have always loved Lenka, and in particular the song used, “The Show”. And it does help that Ziquan is a very beautiful girl. Pity Eurosport missed most of it.

Same with Ilinykh / Zhiganshin (nearly wrote Katsalapov! I suppose I can blame Meoima this time because of the April Fools thread about them getting back together!) It was a beautiful routine, but Eurosport missed most of it. Although, they did manage to get back in time for the big fall (or, should that be “falls”?) They bounced back well from it.

Next up was Misha Ge. What a performance!!! I mightn’t be the biggest fan of the song, but boys does it produce brilliant routines. And Misha is the perfect showman to be using it. Without giving too much away, I loved the cameo appearance from one of the other skaters! Have to say I was a little bit jealous of Misha when she was on! ;) :biggrin:

Scimeca and Knierim. How can I put this? It was a beautiful routine but, coming straight after Misha, it was a bit of a let down. Personally, I think that the Gala routine they were using earlier in the season would have been a better choice. Of course, when packing their costumes before going to China, they wouldn’t have known if they would even be in the Gala, never mind who they would be on after!

Which brings us to the elephant in the room. Liza’s performance.

CaroLiza_Fan! I was getting worried that you might have expired from pure joy!!!

When I read this comment, I thought you were referring to Liza winning the title. Now that I’ve watched the Gala, I realise that you were referring to something completely different…! :laugh:

BTW CaroLiza_fan did you tape Liza's ex in HD... if so, you might want to sit down and try not to have a heart attack.

Yes, I recorded the Gala in HD. However, on Thursday I needed to clear up some space on the Sky+ box quickly. And, in my haste, I accidentally deleted the original LIVE HD recording instead of the downloaded SD recording. So, I didn’t actually see any of the Gala in HD.

The first time I saw the routine, the only thing I noticed was Liza adjusting the position of the left strap of her dress. And I thought nothing more of it.

Then, after finishing the Gala, I came on here, and saw sabinfire’s video link and comment about getting an eye-full. And I thought “eh?!” So, purely for the purposes of settling an argument you understand(!), I went back and watched it again. And still saw nothing strange. Thinking it was probably because I was watching in SD, I went onto YouTube to watch an HD version. Nope, still nothing untoward. Then I clicked through to sabinfire’s HD video of the CBC coverage, in case they had a different camera angle. Still the same.

So, I couldn’t understand what all the fuss was about!

It was only this morning when I saw that somebody had posted a link on the fake Liza Facebook profile to an album of photos from the Gala, and clicked through to them that I saw a still photo of the moment, that I realised why I wasn’t seeing anything: I had been looking at the wrong breast the whole time! It was the other one that had popped out!!!

That poor girl! Maybe it is because I care so much about her, but my overwhelming emotion is feeling sorry for her. She didn’t deserve that to happen.

Fast forwarding again to Javi. Now, I know a lot of you were getting fed up with the Aearobics Class routine being wheeled out again and again. But I really like it, and enjoy it every time. So, when I saw Javi come out wearing something else, I was a bit disappointed, but at the same time curious to see what he would do.

That was the most boring routine I have ever seen! :eek: It wasn’t that it was boring compared to the Aerobics Class routine (let’s face it, anything would be!). It was just boring, full stop! I have to admit, I got so bored that I started looking at the TV schedule to see which of the Eurosport channels the next session of snooker was on.

Now, I don’t know, maybe Eurosport cut off their coverage a bit too sharpish. But, from what they did show, I thought the Finale was a major anti-climax. There was nothing terribly exciting about it.

Overall, I thought the Worlds Gala could have been better. Not saying that there was anything wrong with the quality of the skating on display. Just that there was no buzz about it compared to other Galas we have had this season.

Perhaps the skaters were just exhausted after a long hard season. In which case, I suppose we should be concerned about whether the WTT is going to have the same fun atmosphere that it normally does.

Oh, and as my final word, can I just say that the Worlds Gala could have been improved massively in one stroke by letting Anna Pogo in to do her “Rise Like A Phoenix” routine. (Best Gala routine of the year!)

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Sure, but I said that also because Kurt revealed on SNS on he was working on a new EX program with Javi so...this was it! :biggrin:

Ok, I missunderstood. Thanks for the info! It was a great exhibition programme and shows Javier´s versatility, IMO.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I had been looking at the wrong breast the whole time!

Well, shame on you, then! :laugh2:

Nice review -- agree on most of your thoughts. Javi's routine was super boring, Pogo's 'Rise Like a Phoenix' was sadly missed, Eurosport ads were disruptive and poorly placed (during I/Z? really?), and the Finale was a snooze. I've seen better overall Galas from smaller events earlier in the season.

Interspectator

Record Breaker

Nice review -- agree on most of your thoughts. Javi's routine was super boring, Pogo's 'Rise Like a Phoenix' was sadly missed, Eurosport ads were disruptive and poorly placed (during I/Z? really?), and the Finale was a snooze. I've seen better overall Galas from smaller events earlier in the season.

A lot of it could be attributed to bad camera work which was a problem the whole World Championship. Close-ups, overhead shots, shaking camera...it was very annoying.

I liked the quad battle at the end. I think Han Yan gets the medal for most puzzling EX though. Drunk skating I guess?

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
We've been complaining about bad camera work all season long it seems like, but Shanghai really showed us what happens when people who know virtually nothing about figure skating are put behind the cameras. The overhead shots were utterly worthless in every scenario it was used, but the absolute worst were the slow-motion replays after the skating program had ended... WOW. :slink:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Oh, and as my final word, can I just say that the Worlds Gala could have been improved massively in one stroke by letting Anna Pogo in to do her “Rise Like A Phoenix” routine. (Best Gala routine of the year!)

It's my favorite as well, but I can imagine they might have been a little skeptical about her physical condition, seeing how she skated in the FS. And I can't remember a gala where a 13th-place skater was invited, unless it was a local.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
It's my favorite as well, but I can imagine they might have been a little skeptical about her physical condition, seeing how she skated in the FS. And I can't remember a gala where a 13th-place skater was invited, unless it was a local.

Kim Lucine (did he retire?) last season in Saitama. Super Mario Program. It was great with Tomas and Carolina.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
When I read this comment, I thought you were referring to Liza winning the title. Now that I’ve watched the Gala, I realise that you were referring to something completely different…! :laugh:

Noooooo! I really did mean her title! And the 3A!

Poor Liza. I bow down to her professionalism and "just-get-on-with-it" response. I probably would have gone straight off the ice to hide somewhere.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Well, to be fair, even now that I know exactly where and when it happens, I still can't see it in the video! She's just moving too fast!

It just gives you a whole new appreciation of how good the stills photographers at these events are. Like, I frequently go to motorbike races, and I love taking photos. But I don't even attempt to take photos during the races any more. Even the Classic bikes are going too fast for me!!!

Phew! I was starting to worry that my thoughts might be in the minority.

And may I just add, I meant to comment about Pang / Tong, and what a beautiful routine that was for them to sign off on. But, I still really wish they had won the competition!

Hey, this is figure skating. Stranger things have happened! :laugh:

And, as Newbiespectator has pointed out with regards Kim Lucine, it has happened quite recently. But, then again, with the way the Japanese crowds reacted when he was performing it as his SP, is it any wonder? (Remember - Mario may be an Italian plumber, but Nintendo is Japanese! ;) :biggrin: )

But, Anna Pogo was in a different position to Kim Lucine in that she was one of the favourites to get on the podium, whereas he was a mid-field skater. And, although I can't think off-hand who it was, I have seen before occasions when one of the top skaters has had a very disappointing competition, but is still invited to perform at the Gala because they are one of the top skaters.

Mmmm. Interesting, though, that there are suspicions about Anna Pogo's fitness at Worlds. I haven't read the competition threads, so I hadn't heard that. It certainly would explain a lot if true.

CaroLiza_fan

peg

Medalist
It's interesting how tastes vary. I absolutely love Javi's new EX piece. I think it's about 100X better than the Aerobics class one.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
It's interesting how tastes vary. I absolutely love Javi's new EX piece. I think it's about 100X better than the Aerobics class one.

I didn't care for that one either, but at least it wasn't boring.