2016 Canadian Nationals Senior Men SP | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2016 Canadian Nationals Senior Men SP

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
Nam needs major skating work...more time with Tracy.

Read an article about him the other day. At least some of his problems seem to be due to his growing so much, not just in height but also getting broader in the shoulders. He's only 17 and it sounds like he puts too much pressure on himself. I recall Brian saying that he actually trains harder than Javi and Yuzu do.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Watching Nam's SP video, I think the long setup with no steps into the quad combo which was turned into a solo contributed to the -4 GOE. As well the program is cute and entertaining but not sophisticated and difficult like Patrick's at all. It's much easier to get musical with hand gestures with obvious beats than with the feet and blades, or landing a jump at the exclamation mark of the music.

Now that he has grown so much physically, he still has a lot of time to adjust to the new body and to grow in his skating. I hope he will show his best tomorrow.

Lenny318

On the Ice
I was sad when I saw that Kevin Reynolds didn't keep his Legend of Zelda long program for this season but I'm very happy his short is to Cowboy Bebop music. He is my hero.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
sad for nam... he is so tall now... must be tough... he is really growing...

happy for patrick...

nothing against the other guys but I hope Nam redeems himself tomorrow and goes to the WC.

kresslia

Medalist
Nadeau got higher PCS than Nam. He deserves it, but I'm a little surprised. I thought they'd prop up Nam a bit more. In general I'm just a bit surprised with the score really, I mean hell he's behind Keegan Messing. Maybe it's for the best, and pushes him to work even harder on his skating / jumps.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
at 17, i am okay with the judges being harsh on him... but i agree... i thought he'd be 2nd after he skated...
Nadeau got higher PCS than Nam. He deserves it, but I'm a little surprised. I thought they'd prop up Nam a bit more. In general I'm just a bit surprised with the score really, I mean hell he's behind Keegan Messing. Maybe it's for the best, and pushes him to work even harder on his skating / jumps.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Oh, Chan, finally for the first time made a clean SP this season. Please repeat that performance at the upcoming Worlds.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Nam was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sloooooooooooooooooow. wow. I don't know if I saw him ever slower than here :eek:
I don't know what is not working on they can't make him faster. Even Boyang is way faster and dynamic than him already

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Nam was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sloooooooooooooooooow. wow. I don't know if I saw him ever slower than here :eek:
I don't know what is not working on they can't make him faster. Even Boyang is way faster and dynamic than him already

Boyang is not a slow skater, especially in SP. The comparison with Boyang, a jumping prodigy is not quite proper.

peg

Medalist

Yeah, he was definitely slower than he has been. He had actually improved throughout last season in that area, but today was not good. It seems he has been struggling a bit with his consistency, which has affected his confidence, so he was far too tentative. If he had attacked that quad rather than holding back, he probably would have landed it. I hope he comes back fighting in the FS.

MIM

Medalist
Read an article about him the other day. At least some of his problems seem to be due to his growing so much, not just in height but also getting broader in the shoulders. He's only 17 and it sounds like he puts too much pressure on himself. I recall Brian saying that he actually trains harder than Javi and Yuzu do.

This makes me sad...
I understand his frustration.
He came back to his last year's SP, but I could not recognize it. It looked like he got a brand new program yesterday. He does not look as comfortable or confident as he was with this program last season. I understand his struggles with jumps, but his skating, presentation, and performance abilities are also affected. He seems like wanting to depart from the cutesy and funky style he had up until last season, but still searching for a new style he can move on to.

He is at the right age to concern and struggle with those issues, and he is a hard worker. He will get his jumps back eventually. But I really want him to find his style that his grown body and mind can comfortably settle in. Putting too much pressure on himself is not going to help him out. The answer can be quite near him already. GO Nam!!!

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I really enjoyed Kevin's performance with a full of energy and personality although he fell on 3A and all jumps were not there yet. He was exuberant and looked like having a fun and feeling the music deeply. He seems to be gaining confidence in himself which would be one of the important things for him to compete and to proceed. :luv17:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Good skate for Patrick. That score won't happen internationally though. Funny even National judges couldn't top the international love for Yuzu (48 PCS for Patrick here vs. 49 at GPF for Yuzu).

LMAO! :laugh: And there it is, people. The begrudging "compliment" followed by the attempt to trivialize it.

I'm surprised your head didn't spontaneously combust complimenting it, and as merely a "good" skate at that.

And obviously that score won't hold up internationally. You think Hanyu will (or rather, deserves to) get 102 with a fall, or Fernandez will get 48 PCS, like they got at Nationals?

(Not to mention, the GPF judges clearly had their uppers that weekend and were excessively generous to clean skates with marks you'll never see from any legitimately critical judging panel (that goes for S/K, Medvedeva and W/P) -- same goes with high PCS for bad skates from popular skaters - see Chan's & D/R's SP and Mao's & Gracie's FS PCS.