2016 Four Continents Mens Free Skate | Page 54 | Golden Skate

2016 Four Continents Mens Free Skate

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Chan will have to skate better than that if he wants to beat Hanyu and Fernandez. Javier beat Patrick's 4CC score by 12.5 points at Euros, and Hanyu beat it by 40.22 at the GPF and 32.19 at NHK.

What you say is true, but I am talking less about the actual sport or more about how the people in the seats percieve the performances.....I have a db meter app on my phone and I can tell you that every Canadian there will make as much noise as five Javior or Hanyu fans! ;)

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
What is this "xxx left me cold" thing ??? Is that some inside joke here? Or just just some prententious artsy fartsy stuff that I should ignore? The Men's event in Boston should be great, wish I could see it in person.

Also called, "I feel nothing" and "I'm dead inside."

Not every skater can tug at your heartstrings. ;)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Also called, "I feel nothing" and "I'm dead inside."

Not every skater can tug at your heartstrings. ;)

No skater however great, however perfect or talented or charming or artistic or brilliant can possibly please all the skating fans. A notoriously persnickety lot we are. If a skater can even appeal to a general majority of fans they can count themselves a rare success and forget the rest.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
sometimes i wonder... when i read about... 'this skater leaves me cold... " and what not posts...

to those of you who cannot be excited for such skaters, what about you wonder if it isn't your own damn problem (like you are really dead inside or so biased that you cannot appreciate anything else)... as those skaters touch a lot of other people, including an entire arena in taipei who stood up on their feet, or the second KnC who also did... don't you think that people who were there live or other skaters who all felt the urge to stand up have a point ?

I do ;)

julie17

Rinkside
I want to start a company that makes really long heartstrings. I want these heartstrings to respond to the very littlest of things. Hearts all over would be better off. I would also like to be able to sell really thick sweaters and portable heaters to all those who feel cold inside because of a figure skating performance.

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
I want to start a company that makes really long heartstrings. I want these heartstrings to respond to the very littlest of things. Hearts all over would be better off. I would also like to be able to sell really thick sweaters and portable heaters to all those who feel cold inside because of a figure skating performance.

:rofl: How about a cup of heartwarming tea as well? Ingredients include civility, kindness, fairness, tolerance and compassion to all skaters and their fans.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
At the same time it isn't realistic to think that people will like all styles, even if they are long-time fans of skating.
It's like Genres of music.
No matter how good rap is I don't like rap...it leaves me cold or rather, it does not warm me. It can win an Grammy and be performed by the best, but it's never going to make me cry, or move me to a standing ovation but I don't feel I'm missing something because of it. I just enjoy other things. Then, a 10 year-old Jackie Evancho can make me cry and make me give a standing ovation while others will simply see a talented young girl. I won't think they are hard-hearted, they just like something else.

When someone says 'how could you not like so and so?' it's pretty simple, everyone is made differently and reacts to things differently.

Last edited:

julie17

Rinkside
There are far more singers in the world than international figure skaters,, and none put in the same hours or cost to their families. International figure skaters are rather special in my book. Their parents and siblings have all sacrificed a great deal. Jackie Evancho is however very special. I can't argue with you there. I love skating so much. I really wish everyone did.

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
There are far more singers in the world than international figure skaters,, and none put in the same hours or cost to their families. International figure skaters are rather special in my book. Their parents and siblings have all sacrificed a great deal. Jackie Evancho is however very special. I can't argue with you there. I love skating so much. I really wish everyone did.

Oh really, none? Ever heard of a singer out on the road for a whole year who almost never saw their families or whose relationships fell apart because they were never there? Yep, there are probably far more of those than international figure skaters. In every single job there are people who put in unbelieveable hours and whose work outright ruin their families, figure skaters aren't that special.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
No skater however great, however perfect or talented or charming or artistic or brilliant can possibly please all the skating fans. A notoriously persnickety lot we are. If a skater can even appeal to a general majority of fans they can count themselves a rare success and forget the rest.

Best post in this thread! :thumbsup:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
sure ;) i only like two genres of music... classical and jazz ... but I don't spend my life bashing country or hard metal bands.... and in figure skating, i have my favourites... and i don't spend my time on the forum bashing other skaters i like less, especially when they succeed.... sometimes i try to understand objectively why so many people dislike patrick for instance, and none of what he has done or whatever happened is worth pages of trash talk...so ... if I respect everyone's preference, i find it very aggravating that some people impose their own preferences on others.... it's a form of bullying in my opinion.
At the same time it isn't realistic to think that people will like all styles, even if they are long-time fans of skating.
It's like Genres of music.
No matter how good rap is I don't like rap...it leaves me cold or rather, it does not warm me. It can win an Grammy and be performed by the best, but it's never going to make me cry, or move me to a standing ovation but I don't feel I'm missing something because of it. I just enjoy other things. Then, a 10 year-old Jackie Evancho can make me cry and make me give a standing ovation while others will simply see a talented young girl. I won't think they are hard-hearted, they just like something else.

When someone says 'how could you not like so and so?' it's pretty simple, everyone is made differently and reacts to things differently.

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Huh, and here I thought I read a lot of (deserved) praise and appreciation for Patrick in this thread.

And I get that reading "he leaves me cold" again and again is annoying as somebody's fan, but really, that is not hating on a skater. It's an emotional impression we all have regarding some skaters, different ones for all of us.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Huh, and here I thought I read a lot of (deserved) praise and appreciation for Patrick in this thread.

And I get that reading "he leaves me cold" again and again is annoying as somebody's fan, but really, that is not hating on a skater. It's an emotional impression we all have regarding some skaters, different ones for all of us.

Yes, but that praise is often qualified with "I am not a fan of Patrick but...", as if being a fan of his skating somehow invalidates one's praise and appreciation for his observed performance.

Often when I read the "leaves me cold" sentiments expressed in regard to Patrick, they are accompanied with a dismissive attitude, or the writer is just irrevocably dead set against him. So it's not just a simple expression of an emotional impression. It is often used as a basis to completely write him off. And I know of Patrick fans who will not participate outside of his fan fest on the general GS forums because they were met with incivility and hostility when they tried to do so. Of course every fan has their favorites, and no one is obligated to like a skater. But we can all be more considerate and tolerant in our comments towards those who like the skaters we don't, and vice versa.

I thank Patrick for winning 4CC in such a spectacular fashion. His triumph has enabled his fans here on GS to come out and openly share our support for him, and speak up about how we feel about certain issues.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't disagree with you here... perhaps the messages saying "he leaves me cold" are not so hateful... but are they necessary ? Do they really add to the conversation ? It`s where I am going with my previous post. When I don't like something, I don't make a point to constantly write about it... especially in threads like this one or the other one in the edge where people, fans old and newer are so thrilled with Patrick's skate... why is it necessary to act like partypoopers ?

- - - Updated - - -

totally agree with you Vivley
Yes, but that praise is often qualified with "I am not a fan of Patrick but...", as if being a fan of his skating somehow invalidates one's praise and appreciation for his observed performance.

Often when I read the "leaves me cold" sentiments expressed in regard to Patrick, they are accompanied with a dismissive attitude, or the writer is just irrevocably dead set against him. So it's not just a simple expression of an emotional impression. It is often used as a basis to completely write him off. And I know of Patrick fans who will not participate outside of his fan fest on the general GS forums because they were met with incivility and hostility when they tried to do so. Of course every fan has their favorites, and no one is obligated to like a skater. But we can all be more considerate and tolerant in our comments towards those who like the skaters we don't, and vice versa.

I thank Patrick for winning 4CC in such a spectacular fashion. His triumph has enabled his fans here on GS to come out and openly share our support for him, and speak up about how we feel about certain issues.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yes, but that praise is often qualified with "I am not a fan of Patrick but...", as if being a fan of his skating somehow invalidates one's praise and appreciation for his observed performance. ...

Quite the opposite, IMO. "I am not a fan of Skater X" reinforces the praise/appreciation from the person who says it.

The point of the preface, "I am not a fan of Skater X," is to emphasize that Skater X was so good that s/he overcame the person's previous indifference to Skater X.

... And I get that reading "he leaves me cold" again and again is annoying as somebody's fan, but really, that is not hating on a skater. It's an emotional impression we all have regarding some skaters, different ones for all of us.

:agree: I happen to be a big fan of Patrick. But certain other top skaters (who are very popular) leave me cold. I wouldn't consider it hate for them, unless I were to incessantly tear them apart -- and even worse, to incessantly bring them into unrelated threads in order to tear them apart some more.

[I try to steer clear of posting any opinions at all about skaters who leave me cold. But they exist ;).]

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
There are top skaters who do nothing for me too but I appreciate their skills and success and respect their fans' love for them. Saying someone leaves you cold repeatedly, even ad nauseam, is more than expressing your entitled opinion, but spiteful with intent to influence or exaggerate the skater's unpopularity, especially when you can't say anything concretely negative about the skating, leaving the ultra subjective and derisive "he leaves me cold."

Why not just support your favorites? There is really no need to bash their rivals incessantly.

wookchub

On the Ice
I think it could just be the phrase itself 'he leaves me cold' that perhaps isn't the best way to express an opinion. Patrick quite clearly had a beautiful skate at 4CC and to praise him for that and then to say oh but he left me cold is kind of silly. Rather you could say, I loved the skate for reasons x, y, and z, however I didn't quite feel the emotional connection and I would have liked for him to convey that a little more.

It will always be a subjective comment to make as a lot of people did feel that connection, but at least it's more constructive? Maybe?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think it could just be the phrase itself 'he leaves me cold' that perhaps isn't the best way to express an opinion. Patrick quite clearly had a beautiful skate at 4CC and to praise him for that and then to say oh but he left me cold is kind of silly. Rather you could say, I loved the skate for reasons x, y, and z, however I didn't quite feel the emotional connection and I would have liked for him to convey that a little more.

It will always be a subjective comment to make as a lot of people did feel that connection, but at least it's more constructive? Maybe?

If I did not have an emotional connection with a skate, I would not be able to sincerely say that I loved the skate.

Again, I am a fan of Patrick, and I was thrilled with his Four Continents FS :luv17:.

I just don't see why "leaves me cold" is an unacceptable (or silly) choice of words to some people. I have seen far more unpleasant expressions of negativity on GS.

ETA:

Please don't get me wrong: the less negativity expressed against any skater, the better, as far as I am concerned.
But as Specs and others have noted, different people have different reactions to any skater.

And to me, "X's skating leaves me cold" is more benign than "X's skating is cold." "Leaves me cold" has the nuance of giving a nod that X's skating does not leave some other people cold -- although it leaves the writer cold.​

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Quite the opposite, IMO. "I am not a fan of Skater X" reinforces the praise/appreciation from the person who says it.

The point of the preface, "I am not a fan of Skater X," is to emphasize that Skater X was so good that s/he overcame the person's previous indifference to Skater X.

Thank you, Golden411icecoverage. Yes I thought of that, and I believe that the person is not a fan. But we also have to look at the context in which it was said. Quite a few people went on to say that they were still not fans of Patrick after that skate, which is fine but doesn't indicate that their indifference was overcome. Also, you've been around these forums a long time so you know - how many people say "I am not a fan of Top Skater Y" before they say something nice about his performance?

IMO the "emotional impression" I get is that 1) If you say anything good about Patrick's skating, you must be a fan and therefore to be discounted; and 2) Here on these forums there is a stigma attached to being a Patrick fan. I would be happy for my impression to be wrong.

I just don't see why "leaves me cold" is an unacceptable (or silly) choice of words to some people. I have seen far more unpleasant expressions of negativity on GS.

Once again, context is important. Others and I already explained above that this phrase is often not just a simple expression of a feeling, but is used to denigrate Patrick. Sometimes I get the impression that some people would prefer that he didn't exist at all. As for the far more unpleasant expressions of negativity, just because they exist doesn't make them right. I am sure I am not the only person who would love to go into the Worlds threads here and express support for Patrick without someone getting in my face and telling me why their skater is so much more superior, etc.

Figure skating is not exactly the most popular sport right now, but I think it ought to be. I think everybody in the world should take a look at what our wonderful skaters are doing - their feats of artistry and athleticism. Can't we all just get along?