2016 Junior Worlds Mens Short Program | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2016 Junior Worlds Mens Short Program

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Another thing, it seems like everyone thinking that the men's SP was a great way to kick off Jr. Worlds. Am I correct?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I would be really surprised if Samarin & Aliev don't turn senior next season and get GP assignments.

I still prefer Dima. ;)

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Dani better compensate in the FP!!:noshake:
he SHOULD medal!

Ekm

On the Ice
Seems like a lot of the men saw the huge opportunity here with Chen and Yamamoto out and siezed it, hoping for the same high level in the free.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Just checked the scores because I was busy teaching, but wow that looks like the men were relatively splat free. Nice. Only 1 of the FS qualifiers had a fall.

Skye

On the Ice
Great competition! :thumbsup:
Out of 38 men, 17 attempted triple axels. A couple of step outs and under-rotations, but 12 were landed clean (with positive GOE).

Last edited:

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Wrong! Almost 79 with a 3-2 combination and he won the PCS. With the 3 extra points of a 3t he probably would be in first with a 81-82 score. So I think he's doing pretty good :)

The men overall were really impressive today!
I know - I saw it :). And I already wrote in the same post that the scoring here was higher overall than at the previous Junior competitions of this season. I realized that right after writing the first part of my post - Zhou's score was really enough proof of that.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I thought it was a really great competition. Looking forward to FS... and next year's additions to senior comps. Dima and Alexander were great, but I'm super chuffed with Jun!! Team Orser is just growing and will thrill us for years to come. It's a very happy and satisfying feeling! :yes2:

begin

Medalist
Oh Deniss. Nail the 3A only to mess up your combo :hslap:

I love it when the scores are so close in the SP. Excited for the freeskate event!

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
So, watching my way through the top 9. Thoughts:

Aliev: He has really grown on me this season and his 3f entrace is awesome.

Samarin: I hate his costume, and I found him kind of boring. Sorry...

Vasiljevs: He's adorable. :love:

Zhou: I feel like his performance abilities have improved since nationals. I enjoyed watching that.

Aymoz: He looks like Max Aaron and I'm not a huge fan of his music, but great job making it into the top 5. :cheer:

Hiwatashi: I hate his music too, but apart from that, everything was awesome. :love:

Cha: :love: (I still don't think I can watch a Danse Macabre without getting Yuna-flashbacks, though...)

Nadeau: The only video I found of him had no sound. Does anyone have one with it? (I liked the ten seconds I saw of him...)

Samohin: That wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I hope he moves up in the FS....

Layback11

Record Breaker
So, watching my way through the top 9. Thoughts:

Aliev: He has really grown on me this season and his 3f entrace is awesome.

Samarin: I hate his costume, and I found him kind of boring. Sorry...

Vasiljevs: He's adorable. :love:

Zhou: I feel like his performance abilities have improved since nationals. I enjoyed watching that.

Aymoz: He looks like Max Aaron and I'm not a huge fan of his music, but great job making it into the top 5. :cheer:

Hiwatashi: I hate his music too, but apart from that, everything was awesome. :love:

Cha: :love: (I still don't think I can watch a Danse Macabre without getting Yuna-flashbacks, though...)

Nadeau: The only video I found of him had no sound. Does anyone have one with it? (I liked the ten seconds I saw of him...)

Samohin: That wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I hope he moves up in the FS....

My thoughts on the top 9, in response :biggrin::

Aliev: Not a huge fan of the music, but everything else about this program was amazing-jumps, esp. 3A :love:, spins, expression...

Samarin: Fun program that it didn't really seem like he connected to until the StSq (lots of limb flailing). Also, horrible outfit.

Vasiljevs: Such a performer! Sells every second of that program. Great spins, too!

Zhou: Different, but well-interpreted.

Aymoz: He really does look like Max Aaron. Big jumps & fairly expressive; very weird "Hallelujah" cover.

Hiwatashi: Not my favorite program or costume, but he did really well!

Cha: he used a really weird version of Danse Macabre. Insanely fast, big jumps, and appropriately frantic/desperate choreography. Could improve posture. Looks a little bit like Shoma, LOL.

Nadeau: That was nice, I guess? Borderline, methinks. Video with sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLUX90A3vhM

Samohin: Another bad outfit. Love the skater but not the program. (FS is a million times better.)

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Aymoz: He really does look like Max Aaron. Big jumps & fairly expressive; very weird "Hallelujah" cover.
I don't know who that is, but the version is a bit country-like. Other than that, it is quite close to Buckley's version. So not so weird, unless you consider Buckley's version weird.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I don't know who that is, but the version is a bit country-like. Other than that, it is quite close to Buckley's version. So not so weird, unless you consider Buckley's version weird.
Country is exactly what I was thinking, actually...

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
That was a pretty decent competition. Probably my favourite performance was Samarin followed by Vasiljevs and Aliev. So I agree with the Top 3 but not in their current order it's all very close for the free so it's anyone's to win. If Aliev can deliver his content he should win but I think it will be Vasiljevs. A big SB for Zhou and Aymoz with two nice skates. I was disappointed with Samohin, he was my favourite for gold but I think he is a little far back now.

I also enjoyed Cha, Nadeau and Paniot. I was a bit disappointed with Paniot score but he had an invalidated spin and some low levels. I thought Savosin was lowballed on his PCS, starting at number 2 done him no favours. Nice to see the skaters from Belarus and Georgia get through even if they didn't skate their best. I was disappointed for Galay from Finland, I have enjoyed his skating throughout the season but he was not at his best yesterday.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Savosin was underscored in PCS

Well, the fact that he is completely unknown to international judges and early starting number do not help...

Yes, I agree that Savosin was as good or better than quite a few skaters placed in front of him. Being new to the judges and starting early don't help. But also Savosin is the third Russian and therefore politically he is also kept down.

I think France's Kevin Aymoz is an interesting looking skater (I haven't seen him before). However, I would not have had Aymoz necessarily in front of Jun Hwan Cha or Tomoki Hiwatashi. Perhaps Aymoz is better known by the judges? To me Cha and Hiwatashi are more fluid skaters and with a bit more pizzazz, while Aymoz has a kind of jerky style. Cha did stalk and telegraph his 3-axel but it was a gorgeous 3-axel, and his style is very engaging. Hiwatashi too is high-powered in his performance, and he has great spin positions.

Samarin is a good skater but to me his sp looks like a copy of Vasiljevs', altho' Deniss V does it better. I also noticed a couple of guys, including Samarin, copying the cool Deniss V quirky innovative approach to sit-spins. Deniss did a good job in his sp aside from having to double the second jump in his 3/3 combo. Above all, Deniss is a very natural, charismatic performer which gave him the highest PCS, altho' Aliev and Samarin are not too far behind on PCS. I thought Cha and Hiwatashi deserved slightly higher PCS, and Aymoz' PCS was over-rated.

Interesting that Daniel Samohin was not rated as highly as expected. Daniel did have some minor errors, and it looks like he took a hit on lack of transitions. But I wonder if he isn't also hurt a bit somehow by lack of a strong federation? Maybe Daniel will skate stronger in the fp and pull up, particularly if he lands solid quads with no errors. Aliev is a fairly well-rounded skater with solid technique, but he could benefit from more work on projecting to the audience and developing his style and musicality. IMO Samarin is primarily a good jumper who needs further fine-tuning -- he was a little bit flingy rather than really feeling the music.

ETA: Vincent Zhou performed very well and managed to grab a season's best score. I think Vincent is strong and competent with a budding sense of style, but he needs to develop more speed and power, which will probably come with maturity. Too bad Nathan Chen was injured and had to pull out, as he likely would have been leading with a good skate among this field.

Will be interesting to see how well Deniss V will do overall here, as I believe Deniss is also competing at Sr. Worlds since he is the best male skater in his small country of Latvia. Fortunately, Deniss will have the opportunity to grow and improve on the big stage because he doesn't have to battle against a deep field nationally, as do the young Russians, the Americans, the Japanese, and Canada's Nadeau.

Last edited: