2016 NHK Trophy Ladies SP | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2016 NHK Trophy Ladies SP

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maria Sotskova

A beautiful blue butterfly skating to violin and harpsichord. The difference in skating skills between her and Anna is very apparent in the step seq (Anna wins). It's a beautiful program, but you can see her effort in every move she makes. Amazing layback position before the beilmann, though

I though Masha smoked Anna on spins and jumps and I would have scored Anna in the 60's and Masha in the 70's. These judges are whack yo!!! :whack:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
the backward "R" letter in Russian makes a ya sound... so it's possible if she has an "i" sound plus the ya sound...
Yeah I just realized that the L wasn't right....i went and looked it up... in any case, curious why she refers to herself as Mariya, but yet she's still Maria by ISU docs?

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Yeah I just realized that the L wasn't right....i went and looked it up... in any case, curious why she refers to herself as Mariya, but yet she's still Maria by ISU docs?

Because her name, in Russian is spelled Мария. The я is read as ya but I guess ISU also thinks that you get the proper sound when you write IA. Personally I'd go for the ya version but I guess the romanizations are always wonky.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Go Satoko! There's this part in her SP where she blows a kiss and it's so cute! Go my lovely

bartlebooth

Record Breaker

The usual transliteration options In Мария, и=i(pr: ee) and я=ya, so I guess you can transliterate it Mariya or a more expeditive Maria

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Russian Nationals with a cameo from Kaetlyn Osmond! She should try to infiltrate.

Imagine if all the rules were thrown out the window for a one time exception, allowing Kaetlyn to compete at Russian Nats - and she wins. Heads will spin. Brains will be damaged. Insanity will be the new sanity.

Last edited: