2016 NHK Trophy Men FS | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2016 NHK Trophy Men FS

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I know there was that discussion on Yuzuru's thread too but I don't see him as androgynous at all tbh

Androgynous kind of implies ambiguous in appearance. Yuzuru is definitely a dude when I see him, he takes on a more feminine style when he skates maybe but moves quite powerfully.

alvina9894

Final Flight
9 in TR, but only 8 in SS. The highest SS mark she gave was 8.50, to Kolyada...
It doesn't mean that I agree with her marks, I'm just pointing out that she lowballed almost everyone.

I like strict judges as long as they don't give marks with double-standard. We need more of these kind of judges to maintain a normal distribution of PCS

qwertyskates

Medalist
You do realize that it was Boyang's 5th place finish at Skate America that hurt him right. He had a pretty disasterous skate there. He was much better at Cup of China but the damage was already done. His chances of making the GPF were pretty slim.

That is not true. He deserved his 5th place (even though he was also low-balled on PCS) because Sergei skated better than he did.

However, he didn't deserve to lose by 1 pt at COC because his BV was higher and he skated better than all the other skaters, including Patrick. If he had just 1+ more point in PCS or GOE in SP (where he was almost flawless) or FS, he would be at GPF now.

Was it okay? A lot of people are not happy that Boyang missed the GPF by 1-ish point

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
I know there was that discussion on Yuzuru's thread too but I don't see him as androgynous at all tbh

His frame is slender and flexible, almost delicate. In contrast, he has a nice deep voice and a prominent Adam's apple.
I like that in a man, tbh

da96103

Record Breaker
Yuzuru was so titled during the quad loop that he is seeing the ceiling when his head faces upwards.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I think that for Rippon and Chen it will be impossible to reach a medal. I'm tempted to say Yuzuru will win again, with Javier second. If Patrick Chan is slightly clean he has bronze, but Shoma could just edge in, if flawless. That's my prediction.

eta

Medalist
That is not true. He deserved his 5th place (even though he was also low-balled on PCS) because Sergei skated better than he did.

However, he didn't deserve to lose by 1 pt at COC because his BV was higher and he skated better than all the other skaters, including Patrick. If he had just 1+ more point in PCS or GOE in SP (where he was almost flawless) or FS, he would be at GPF now.

Not just PCS, was lowballed on GOE as well for his long program. 0.2 (or 0.3?) lower than 4th

qwertyskates

Medalist
Was it okay? A lot of people are not happy that Boyang missed the GPF by 1-ish point

4. Sergie Voronov 245.28
5. Boyang Jin 245.08

A gigantic .20 difference between him and Voronov. Silly of me to contemplate what could have been.

I didn't feel like that about SA because Jin didn't skate as well there. It's like Jason failing to go to GPF because he didn't skate as well here.

It applies to all skaters, if they did a good job but got low-balled and missed by 1 pt not because of their performance but because of some strange scores from certain judges, then it's not ok.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Adam Rippon is the 6th guy? He does not seem to fit in.

Maybe not because of his technical difficulty but he's been super consistent in both events and all 4 skates - something those who didn't make the final (Jin, Kolyada, Voronov, Brown, etc.) were not. He's definitely this year's Daisuke Murakami. But it's great to have a US man in the GPF - let alone TWO! - finally since Abbott in 2011.

Last edited:

qwertyskates

Medalist
Maybe not because of his technical difficulty but he's been super consistent in both events and all 4 skates - something those who didn't make the final (Jin, Kolyada, Voronov, Brown, etc.) were not. He's definitely this year's Daisuke Murakami. But it's great to have a US man in the GPF finally since Abbott in 2011.

That is a falsehood. Jin has been anything but consistent since his senior debut, much more consistent than Nathan, and he only skated badly once, and only one SP at SA. That was also an early debut of a new season's programs. Yuzu himself, a great skater, didn't do so well for the season's debut at SC, and everybody says it's his first performance, it's a rough draft and he will get better as he progresses and of course they both did.

However, just one bad SP and Jin is "inconsistent".:sarcasm:

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Just caught up on the men's FS.

Congrats to Hanyu! :clap: That was an excellent FS - 3 clean quads and 2 axels... Some errors and I'm not quite sold on his FS (Seimei was way better for me -- absolutely sizzling Prince SP though) but the overall competition was much better skated than SC. That 4L with the lean - wow I have no idea how he landed it but he showed good awareness determination. Nice to see him have a 100 point SP and 300 point competition again - will make the GPF head to head with Javier interesting. :)

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I have to say I am a little relieved an imperfect Hanyu didn't get over marked in PCS and is currently 0.5 away from Patrick's best FS PCS at 93. Now everyone please attack Javier's 96+ pls!

:disapp: :dev2:

frida80

Record Breaker
I think that for Rippon and Chen it will be impossible to reach a medal. I'm tempted to say Yuzuru will win again, with Javier second. If Patrick Chan is slightly clean he has bronze, but Shoma could just edge in, if flawless. That's my prediction.

I'd say that accurate. There's not enough time for a Nathan to clean up his program. Adam is artist, but so are Javier, Shoma, Yuzuru, and Patrick. They just can't match them. I think it's a privilege to have made it there at all.

tzazu

Medalist
There is no drama here , my mom doesn't know anything about figure skating and this is the first time that she watched him that why she is confused.

My nephew, who was five years old then, the first time I showed him something about figure skating was Yuzuru in Worlds 14. When he finished, he told me: "Great, but why does she wear pants?" :dance2: When I told him Yuzuru was a boy, he looked again at the screen, and told me "Okay, if you say so", but he was not really convinced.:laugh2: By now, he likes Yuzuru the most and has no doubts :biggrin:

alvina9894

Final Flight
I didn't feel like that about SA because Jin didn't skate as well there. It's like Jason failing to go to GPF because he didn't skate as well here.

It applies to all skaters, if they did a good job but got low-balled and missed by 1 pt not because of their performance but because of some strange scores from certain judges, then it's not ok.

That's not a good analogue. Jason is 11 points behind 4th place, and even the scoring in lenient he would not have gone to GPF. Jin, on the other hand, could've gotten fourth place if the GOE of his 4Lz is scored compared to the standard of Shoma's, or if the judges were as generous as they are to TdF Nathan in terms of PCS