2016 NHK Trophy Men FS | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2016 NHK Trophy Men FS

qwertyskates

Medalist
Btw, my own view is that we should just accept the skaters as they are, however they want to dress or present themselves (androgynous, simple, etc...though Yuzu's choice of purple is...:reye:..can't he dye it a better shade of purple?) within the bounds of tastefulness as defined by the rules and protocols.

However, I would almost always prefer a more minimalist and modern costume than too many frills and spangles.

Kutien

Final Flight
1 Yuzuru HANYU JPN 301.47 1 1 video
2 Nathan CHEN USA 268.91 2 2 video
3 Keiji TANAKA JPN 248.44 3 3 video
4 Alexei BYCHENKO ISR 229.87 7 4 video
5 Mikhail KOLYADA RUS 225.69 4 6 video
6 Deniss VASILJEVS LAT 223.73 10 5 video
7 Jason BROWN USA 218.47 8 7 video
8 Nam NGUYEN CAN 212.43 6 8 video
9 Ryuju HINO JPN 207.15 9 9 video
10 Elladj BALDE CAN 195.32 5 11 video
11 Grant HOCHSTEIN USA 191.40 11 10 video

alvina9894

Final Flight
Btw, my own view is that we should just accept the skaters as they are, however they want to dress or present themselves (androgynous, simple, etc...though Yuzu's choice of purple is...:reye:..can't he dye it a better shade of purple?) within the bounds of tastefulness as defined by the rules and protocols.

However, I would almost always prefer a more minimalist and modern costume than too many frills and spangles.

His costume in SC is much better. Same design but in WHITE. Absolutely prince-looking. Hope he wears that in GPF and the Worlds

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I have to say I am a little relieved an imperfect Hanyu didn't get over marked in PCS and is currently 0.5 away from Patrick's best FS PCS at 93. Now everyone please attack Javier's 96+ pls!

People have been complaining about Javier and over-scoring in his PCS for ages. In fact, he and Shoma are by far the worst there, not Patrick or Hanyu. We've talked about Javier's 10s here but actually, compared to yesterday, Hanyu's got far more attention. So yes, some of us have been harping about this from the very start and Shoma at SA.

qwertyskates

Medalist
That's not a good analogue. Jason is 11 points behind 4th place, and even the scoring in lenient he would not have gone to GPF. Jin, on the other hand, could've gotten fourth place if the GOE of his 4Lz is scored compared to the standard of Shoma's, or if the judges were as generous as they are to TdF Nathan in terms of PCS

It's true that Jason skated worse than Jin, if you compare them, but in the end, it's the judges and the way they awarded that FS of Chen with all the wobbles and fall with a PCS of 84 while Jin received 78 for a much better executed FS. Jin was artificially depressed. American Fed is powerful, they got two skaters in.

I understand they can hold Jin to the higher standards at SA because he didn't do well at ONE SP, but at COC, no reason to punish him.

Last edited:

eta

Medalist

It's about personal taste, all subjective. I never wear blings myself (because I look horrible in them) but on Yuzu I like colors bling-blings ruffles feathers :love:

da96103

Record Breaker
His costume in SC is much better. Same design but in WHITE. Absolutely prince-looking. Hope he wears that in GPF and the Worlds

His legs and body disappeared into the ice. That's why he changed to purple. Although the white one looks more elegant. The purple one looks a bit 'cheap'.

Rissa

Record Breaker
And you can read minds.:scowl:

What, only females can like colors and blings?

Actually, this is per Hanyu's words. He was asked about his style and said that he knows what he looks like, that in the past he might have been a theatre actor playing female roles, and that he wouldn't pull off the macho style. No doubt he likes colors and bling, but Yuzuru goes beyond color and bling in his costuming. Notice that this is quite opposite of what he wears off-ice, so coupled with his words, it' seems to be a conscious, deliberate decision on his part to present himself this way.

That, and I think he likes being different.

qwertyskates

Medalist

White isn't ideal because it's harder to see against the ice, and I want to see the skater's movements clearly. A dark purple with a pale purple shirt might be better than this outdated purple though. Some shades just aren't meant to be worn, eg. avocado green...unless you're a fashionplate and can carry it off in style.

It's about personal taste, all subjective. I never wear blings myself (because I look horrible in them) but on Yuzu I like colors bling-blings ruffles feathers :love:

Yes, it's personal, so I won't expect everyone to like minimalism like me. :biggrin:

Raomina

On the Ice
Come on people, please stop using photoshopped pictures to prove a point... it's so disrespectful and inappropriate. :hslap: And so irrelevant to this thread.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Ahem! back to the competition...YAAAY Yuzu sold both his programs brilliantly here at NHK. The 4Loop save was fantastic and other than the fall and a wobble, it was so beautiful and emotional to watch.
Thank you Yuzu.
Tanaka stood up when everyone fell down. He didn't give into nerves that he did many times before and he rotated all his stuff. A well deserved Bronze.
I'm really, really sad I won't see Jason in the final too.
Boyang and Jason would have made my GPF complete and perfect. Sorry Adam and Chen. I'm biased and I know it. :devil:

eta

Medalist
... back on topic.

So J6 thinks Hanyu has worse SS than Kolyada. And worse transitions than Brown. I am :scratch3:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
One of the things Yuzu said in the interview (he said a lot and talked very very fast) was that he was happy from his heart that Tanaka got the bronze and to Ryuju he said "Come on!":)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Won't they show the Gala on the ISU channel? Couldn't find it at tomorrow's listing? *_*

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That is a falsehood. Jin has been anything but consistent since his senior debut, much more consistent than Nathan, and he only skated badly once, and only one SP at SA. That was also an early debut of a new season's programs. Yuzu himself, a great skater, didn't do so well for the season's debut at SC, and everybody says it's his first performance, it's a rough draft and he will get better as he progresses and of course they both did.

However, just one bad SP and Jin is "inconsistent".:sarcasm:

It wasn't just bad, it was an utter disaster - 2 falls, no combo, and a faulty axel. That is very difficult to recover from, especially when your bread and butter is jumping and can't be saved on PCS like Yuzuru can be. And his FS wasn't great either (5 jumping passes with -GOE, including a UR fall, and a V on his final spin). Frankly, after SA he's lucky to have even had a shot at the GPF.

Of course, he absolutely nailed his SP at CoC but a UR fall in the FS cost him about 9 points there (not to mention Chan skated one of his best freeskates ever). I don't buy the PCS low balling - he was on home ice after all (also it's interesting when people complain that Chan won SC due to home inflation, and then complain that Jin didn't sufficiently benefit from home inflation to win CoC to make the GPF).

Don't get me wrong, I *really* wanted to see Jin in the final too and it won't be nearly as interesting, but arguably Rippon earned his spot there - even if he doesn't have all the big tricks that Jin has.