2016 Skate America Ladies FS | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate America Ladies FS

tulosai

Record Breaker
Honestly it's about time Gracie was marked fairly. She's been held up by the international judges for a long time as America's #1. Now that she's decidedly not, the scores are finally where they should be.

That's not to say she's not an enormous talent with amazing potential, but if this is how she skates this is how she should score.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
lol and mine?

5th place. And rightly so.
My predictions, however...

other topic... no idea why they picked Ravel for Gracie.. .she doesn't understand the music at all. It doesn't work. Unfortunate because it's a masterpiece

andromache

Record Breaker
Last year I think she at least wanted to fight for it. This year...:slink:

If Gracie is as sad as she looks and I was her, I would take the rest of the season off. If she doesn't want to be there, she shouldn't be. Talk to USFSA, figure out a new coaching situation that will make her happy and make her love skating again. Come back with programs she loves and a fighting spirit and do her best.

Going out there when she really looks like she doesn't want to and losing to skaters she is 100% capable of beating...it's masochistic. I'm officially on the Gracie-needs-a-rehaul team.

Thrilled for Mariah though!

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
We were all expecting two americans on the podium.... Just not that one of them would be Mariah. Well deserved!!!

The judges got Gracie's placement correct. Maybe they've finally stopped giving her favours.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Girl needs to move coaches, choreographers, dress makers, etc because nothing is clearly working for her.

Its not that anymore. Its all within herself. She's going to be this way no matter who she's with unfortunately

frida80

Record Breaker
Mariah substitutes at SA and gets a silver medal! This is amazing! I'm so proud of her!

begin

Medalist
I hope Mariah works with other choreographers in the future. She has wonderful movement for someone on the taller side of the lades (I think? ISU profile has to be wrong)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mariah Bell getting it done!! I love this girl but I'm afraid to ask why Mao gave up 18pts TES to her.

Obviously I'm unable to watch and am just checking in here every once in a while.

auser

Record Breaker
It's a very smart spiral sequence choreographically, because it introduces a major change in tempo and feel for the music. It's integrated, it's not just thrown in there for points. It's earning its keep.

Sorry, I should have been clearer in my post. I meant to refer to Mao's spirals as an example of beauty that has gone missing. With the rise of Michelle Kwan's and Sasha Cohen's beautiful spiral sequences, the mediocre spirals I mentioned in my earlier post followed. I have wondered if this lead to their (relative) disappearance. I am hoping that Mao's lovely spirals will bring them back into favor. But only if they are done well, not with perfunctory points for hitting multiple positions as seen with some spin positions currently. :)

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
HOLY S**T

Gracie Gold out of Grand Prix Final

She will not get in with a 5'th place. 22 pts at most and the competition is too high!

She has the same problem as Yulia, it seems. They have everything to win competitions, but their mental state don't let them do that..

liv

Record Breaker
Gracie has to decide what she wants. She looks like she doesn't want to skate. I am not a fan, but I recognize she has talent and ability and would hate for her not to reach her potential, for her sake. It is obvious that the depression she has spoken about is still there. Some say just shake it off, but it isn't that easy. I hope she can figure it out.

MeltedIce

On the Ice
I got the same feeling, and it's a shame, because if she could find the joy in skating again she would be amazing

Its like she just wants it all over and doesn't care anymore, she just looks resigned with no spirit or life in her. She REALLY needs to "find her love for skating" again or the rest of her career will be a nightmare