2016 World Championships Pairs Free Skate | Page 54 | Golden Skate

2016 World Championships Pairs Free Skate

bramweld

Record Breaker
Has nothing to do with the USA, sorry. There is absolutely no way you can say Russians were robbed in any of the competitions here so far. They just didn't have it.

Completely agreed. They did not come with the goods this year. Hopefully the girls can steady the ship.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Wow Bumdid, didn't even think about that until I read your post. Great observation. Maybe the great champions in the disciplines peaked too soon. Honestly though, I did not think that w/p deserved to win the GPF to begin with. Yuzu just did the impossible one too many times before Worlds. And I am pretty confident, sadly, that the Russians will complete a sweep of the ladies podium tonight with Evgenia on top :palmf:

And none of the GPF's gold medalists won here. In fact, the winner from pairs and dance didn't even podium...

whatif

Medalist
Has nothing to do with the USA, sorry. There is absolutely no way you can say Russians were robbed in any of the competitions here so far. They just didn't have it.

If I cared enough I would say that Kolyada and Stolbova would have been on the podium if this championship was held in Europe. And that' what I find jarring about this sport. There is too much environmental factors influencing the outcome in direct or indirect way.

sweetskates1

Medalist
koatcue, your athletes are still massively talented and I have a feeling the ladies are going to pull through for you tonight.

I officially admit that I'm gonna cry if the ladies will be off the podium. It will be the worst worlds for Russia, just a nail in the coffin. Lackluster much :(

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Wow Bumdid, didn't even think about that until I read your post. Great observation. Maybe the great champions in the disciplines peaked too soon. Honestly though, I did not think that w/p deserved to win the GPF to begin with. Yuzu just did the impossible one too many times before Worlds. And I am pretty confident, sadly, that the Russians will complete a sweep of the ladies podium tonight with Evgenia on top :palmf:

Jinxing? It will be the opposite: Gracie -1, Ash - 2, Zhenia - 3d. Realistic. But also instead of Medvedeva we might see Satoko, because all the pressure is now on our girls:tantrum:

andromache

Record Breaker
Okay fair enough, here in the Free Skate they didn't deserve a medal but there are some underscored mark for some russian athletes (in the SP the pairs too) and there is that super weird way of judging so different from the rest of the season and the previous years, where home advantage means everything.

But i'm not angry about it: this phenomenon starts here at WC in USA and it will finish here.

Considering you bring it up in literally every competition thread, it seems like you're angry about it.

Fact is: Russian favorites have not skated up to their potential thus far, except for Mikhail (4th place! that's awesome!) and Anna in the SP. I realize it's disappointing, but it isn't right to blame others.

karlowens2

On the Ice
What happened to pairs?

I don't follow pairs as much but seemed no one skated fantastically. Not like the Chinese in the short.

Also, I notice several pairs all get 9's & 10's for PCS. Is that usual?

whatif

Medalist
Again surprisingly, Russians never really done all that well at Worlds in Pairs. But this is their worst result. I wonder how much heat Mozer is going to get after this?

Last edited:

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
One more remark: all the winners so far had outstanding performances. :clap:

Let's see the queen tonight.

sweetskates1

Medalist
WeakAnkles I am not really sure what it is that makes D/R come across as so distasteful. I can tell you that I am fine with no romantic chemistry. It is not that. I never felt that from my favorites (i.e. Aliona in pairs, D/W in dance, Carolina Kostner (romanticism, romantic) etc. They just seem crass, rude. She lacks feminine grace and he doesn't supplement for her lack of graciousness. Anyway, it is a visceral dislike of who I perceive them to be as people. And also, they just look rough as they skate. If I had to choose their polar opposites - it would have to be the French ice dancers G/P. There is a quality, an art to their skating that seems to emanate from their beings. With D/R it's more of a sense that their 'ugly' looking skating is a result of their abrasive personalities. But again, I admit fully that it is more of a 'sense' than a 'logical explanation' that makes me feel the way that I do about them. With that said, I really want to watch the FS to see if I get into it :)!

I don't find D/R's LP tacky at all. They have zero romantic chemistry, so they need to find programs that work around that. The Adele song is a very good fit for them. And Julie Marcotte is a fine choreographer who does what talented choreographers always do: play up the strengths, hide/minimize the weaknesses. D/R are never going to be a graceful team. They are never going to be loveydoveys. They've found a style and type of music that works for them. Nothing tasteless about that.

You want tasteless/ How about every time Maxim opens his mouth as a commentator? You don't like your opponents, fine. But at least have some respect for them. Trashtalking is for the playing field, NOT the commentator's mic.

humbaba

Final Flight
I officially admit that I'm gonna cry if the ladies will be off the podium. It will be the worst worlds for Russia, just a nail in the coffin. Lackluster much :(

I would be shocked if one of the Russian ladies doesn't make the podium tonight. From all reports Med had a great practice this morning, so I'm betting she will do well.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
that's your own personal perception... i see them as hard worker, dedicated, respectful to each other skaters. class. not crass.
WeakAnkles I am not really sure what it is that makes D/R come across as so distasteful. I can tell you that I am fine with no romantic chemistry. It is not that. I never felt that from my favorites (i.e. Aliona in pairs, D/W in dance, Carolina Kostner (romanticism, romantic) etc. They just seem crass, rude. She lacks feminine grace and he doesn't supplement for her lack of graciousness. Anyway, it is a visceral dislike of who I perceive them to be as people. And also, they just look rough as they skate. If I had to choose their polar opposites - it would have to be the French ice dancers G/P. There is a quality, an art to their skating that seems to emanate from their beings. With D/R it's more of a sense that their 'ugly' looking skating is a result of their abrasive personalities. But again, I admit fully that it is more of a 'sense' than a 'logical explanation' that makes me feel the way that I do about them. With that said, I really want to watch the FS to see if I get into it :)!

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
I mean... wake me up when something goes the way I would have predicted in these worlds :D

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Oh, my goodness, what happened to Maxim? Is he OK? I just feel that he is not healthy enough to return. Poor guy... :sad21: For me, only Sui/Han's programs here are really outstanding and impressive, but they still could not win the Worlds title, and because of that, China lost one pairs spot next year. What a shame! :no:

sweetskates1

Medalist
lmao koatcue you are so funny! I don't know but this has been a rollercoaster for me. I could not have predicted any of the podiums so far. Like I knew I wanted Javier to win and Yuzu in second, but I didn't think about any of it happening the way it did. And, with pairs, well I haven't seen the competition but what an unexpected turn of events! I did not think that Queen Aliona could pull off a medal and she did and I was sure that Mr. and Mrs. Trankov would win silver or bronze :palmf: I LOVE them so much, my hurt hearts and it pains me to see other fans calling for them to retire. It is not nice or fair :(

Jinxing? It will be the opposite: Gracie -1, Ash - 2, Zhenia - 3d. Realistic. But also instead of Medvedeva we might see Satoko, because all the pressure is now on our girls:tantrum: