2016 World Championships Pairs Free Skate | Page 56 | Golden Skate

2016 World Championships Pairs Free Skate

bobbob

Medalist
My thoughts on the pairs tonight :

Duhamel & Radford : Congrats ! Won fair and square. There are quite a few things I don't like about their programs this season but tonight I admired Meagan's determination to land everything (I didn't see her land the quad salchow in the warm-up so I was surprised she nailed it that well in the programme) and as always, Radford, who probably seems boring to some, is good-looking (in my book) so I always enjoy watching him. Plus, he's really consistent in the sbs jumps, isn't he?!

Sui & Han : I love them so much but this LP is not my favorite and the performance wasn't so great. Hope they'll come back stronger for 2017 and 2018.

Savchenko & Massot : Not a wonderful LP either, but they nailed most of their elements. It's amazing how much they've achieved quite quickly. Even with a dull program, I enjoy watching them, because she's a goddess, and he's one hot hunk :p So, considering the performances of the other competitors, I'm quite happy they got the bronze here.

Stolbova & Klimov : Unfortunate they couldn't repeat their GPF performance :( I don't know how long those two will keep skating together.

Volosozhar & Trankov : I love this team, but tonight they were really messy. I'm wondering though, what exactly did Maxim say last year about his competitors?

https://adivinesport.wordpress.com/...ary-on-the-pairs-event-at-2015-worlds-part-1/

Essentially he was quite critical of Duhamel and Radford while commentating on the worlds last year. In other instances (interviews etc.) he was also very negative about Meagan and Eric. I don't completely disagree with everything he said, but I don't think it is appropriate to say things like that about a competitor.

whatif

Medalist
https://adivinesport.wordpress.com/...ary-on-the-pairs-event-at-2015-worlds-part-1/

Essentially he was quite critical of Duhamel and Radford while commentating on the worlds last year. In other instances (interviews etc.) he was also very negative about Meagan and Eric. I don't completely disagree with everything he said, but I don't think it is appropriate to say things like that about a competitor.

And what exactly unethical or unallowed he said there. I remember his commentary from last year. None of this is true.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Me too, I really do not like Kovtun at all! Ugh and I just can't help but love Tatiana and Max though others really dislike them. I find myself rooting for particular figure skaters based on their style, their personality and their skills. However, I gave up on trying to impose my personal views on others. It is not necessary. The fact that we stay up at crazy hours of the night watching live feeds or following the competition on these boards is enough for me to think we are part of a small yet diverse community. Plus, we can always root for those we formerly disliked. For example, I became an Ashley Wagner fan about two years ago and it just happened over night as I realized that I cared about her doing well in competitions. I also disliked Plushy so much growing up because I loved Yagudin. Now, I can appreciate his legacy much more even if I still think he lacks artistry/finesse.

Thank you for clarifying. That makes much more sense to me than the original post. Hey, we all have visceral reactions to some skaters. I cannot stomach Kovtun (I can't write what I really think about him without getting banned!). He's the only skater I have schadenfreude about. We're human. C'est la vie. And all that jazz.

:)

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
For me, only Sui/Han's programs here are really outstanding and impressive, but they still could not win the Worlds title, and because of that, China lost one pairs spot next year. What a shame! :no:

sure, lets put blame on them, cause they were the only Chinese pair team (i still love you W&W :luv17:) :eek:hwell:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
no way should Ksenia & Fedor not be in third... their free skate is SUPERIOR to Aliona & Brunos... wow im pissed about this...

She fell and they messed up their SBS jumps. They also had a bad twist in their SP. And frankly not a fan of neither's FS but the Germans were cleaner in both programs.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Congratulations to the all medalists.

However, I'm a bit depressed consecutively after the men's event. I'm hardly a fan of VT and St/Kl, but the downfalls of the veterans including Patrick at Worlds just make me sad. I wished to see a nice and fierce competition from my favorites disciplines, much more than seeing my favorites win.

True. Just like in Mens, the FS was not even close. The winners won by a mile. Such a shame after a tight and exciting SP. V/T basically mirrored Patrick's meltdown in the way they had shockingly low TES of the "top tier" skaters. Patrick was 11th in TES, and V/T was 15th!

However, it's hard to say the veterans flopped when all 3 reigning champions defended their titles.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
My favourite pair was Iliushechkina/Moscovitch! I'm so insanely happy to see them skate to their potential here! Hopefully Lubov will be able to landed her SBS jumps again next season, she's such a joy to watch.
I think she already did better this season and she's looking stronger/healthier. I also love to see them skate together. They have a great aura and she's very elegant.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
She fell and they messed up their SBS jumps. They also had a bad twist in their SP. And frankly not a fan of neither's FS but the Germans were cleaner in both programs.

So Aliona & Bruno should get higher PCS than Ksenia & Fedor?? that is insane! Aliona & brunos free skate is horrible, it cant even compare to Ksenia & Fedor free skate!!

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
And what exactly unethical or unallowed he said there. I remember his commentary from last year. None of this is true.

Context. He was hired to commentate on a sporting event. Instead, he turned it into a personal soapbox to air personal grudges. Not cool.

keasus

On the Ice
I fully understand that it is personal 'sense' and just an opinion. Just thought I would try to explain my dislike for them without being mean or denying that they perform some amazing tricks.

FWIW, Meghan is a vegetarian, so she is an animal lover (major respect in my book).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
sure, lets put blame on them, cause they were the only Chinese pair team (i still love you W&W :luv17:) :eek:hwell:

Sui and Han should not be blamed for not winning. The Chinese fed totally had sending P/Z and the Wangs blow up in their face though. When was the last Worlds that China only had 2 pairs entries?

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Sui and Han should not be blamed for not winning. The Chinese fed totally had sending P/Z and the Wangs blow up in their face though. When was the last Worlds that China only had 2 pairs entries?

2014, actually

And before that, 2012.

(Next earliest is 2001)

Last edited:

bobbob

Medalist

Are you disputing the transcript?

"Lifts are not their strength. It’s a juniorish lift. Some juniors do harder lifts.” "Because the PCS scores that these guys have been getting this year are very high and don’t adequately reflect their skating. There isn’t really much pairs skating. They skate parallel to each other, like two single skaters who are both excellent jumpers. When you take the throws as well, he doesn’t really throw her, but she almost jumps herself.” "“This is that juniorish lift that Eric manages to do with great effort at the end of the program.”

He might actually be telling the truth, but I don't think he should be saying that about his competitors.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker

to be clear i was being sarcastic unless your response was to Sweet Dream :biggrin:

whatif

Medalist
Are you disputing the transcript?

"Lifts are not their strength. It’s a juniorish lift. Some juniors do harder lifts.” "Because the PCS scores that these guys have been getting this year are very high and don’t adequately reflect their skating. There isn’t really much pairs skating. They skate parallel to each other, like two single skaters who are both excellent jumpers. When you take the throws as well, he doesn’t really throw her, but she almost jumps herself.” "“This is that juniorish lift that Eric manages to do with great effort at the end of the program.”

He might actually be telling the truth, but I don't think he should be saying that about his competitors.

Well he is asked to commentate, getting paid for it and doing his job. Isn't it? Besides, all if it is arguably true.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
True. Just like in Mens, the FS was not even close. The winners won by a mile. Such a shame after a tight and exciting SP. V/T basically mirrored Patrick's meltdown in the way they had shockingly low TES of the "top tier" skaters. Patrick was 11th in TES, and V/T was 15th!

Both were quite similar - an imperfect SP but still enough for 3rd and then a disastrous FS with uncharacteristic errors.

Although you wonder why nobody is wailing that V/T should get a jump and lift coach -- of course if it's Chan in a comeback year bombing in his FS in similar fashion to place out of the medals people are all over that. #DoubleStandard :rolleye: