2016 World Championships Pairs Free Skate | Page 57 | Golden Skate

2016 World Championships Pairs Free Skate

OJuliaA

Rinkside
Fascinated by championship and decide to register in English-speaking forum. Before just read it, it differs so much from Russian forums, so good comments about all sportsmen and performances😊

Really liked the SP of Sui/Han, FP of D/R. Stolbova Klimov were good. If not his injury, if not... Get so much emotions from their skating anyway😊

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Are you disputing the transcript?

"Lifts are not their strength. It’s a juniorish lift. Some juniors do harder lifts.” "Because the PCS scores that these guys have been getting this year are very high and don’t adequately reflect their skating. There isn’t really much pairs skating. They skate parallel to each other, like two single skaters who are both excellent jumpers. When you take the throws as well, he doesn’t really throw her, but she almost jumps herself.” "“This is that juniorish lift that Eric manages to do with great effort at the end of the program.”

He might actually be telling the truth, but I don't think he should be saying that about his competitors.

Ironic, considering their reverse lift was negated and their throw loop was off (and flip was two footed in the SP). What's that about karma?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Both were quite similar - an imperfect SP but still enough for 3rd and then a disastrous FS with uncharacteristic errors.

Although you wonder why nobody is wailing that V/T should get a jump and lift coach -- of course if it's Chan in a comeback year bombing in his FS in similar fashion to place out of the medals people are all over that. #DoubleStandard :rolleye:

yup...

berry8

Final Flight
no way should Ksenia & Fedor not be in third... their free skate is SUPERIOR to Aliona & Brunos... wow im pissed about this...

With that fake 3Tw and Fedor's unhealthy face??
You could be right just if they would have Performed their program so like at GPF...

andromache

Record Breaker
Fascinated by championship and decide to register in English-speaking forum. Before just read it, it differs so much from Russian forums, so good comments about all sportsmen and performances😊

Really liked the SP of Sui/Han, FP of D/R. Stolbova Klimov were good. If not his injury, if not... Get so much emotions from their skating anyway😊

Welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed so many of the performances!

Krunchii

Record Breaker
FWIW, Meghan is a vegetarian, so she is an animal lover (major respect in my book).

She's actually vegan and has been since 2008 which is really interesting! I would never switch to that sort of lifestyle but it's very admirable that she manages to stay in such tip top shape while being one

Welcome to GS and be sure to post a lot!

sweetskates1

Medalist
WOW just saw the D/R FS! They were fast, effortless, in unison and unique. Fans should be extremely proud! I still do not feel an emotional connection to what they do but they were flawless!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

Welcome to the wacky world of Golden Skate! Hope you enjoy your stay here.

I'm very sorry I don't read/speak Russian at all, because I would LOVE to know what is being posted on Russian boards. If any Russian wants to give us a rundown, I'll be hitting that thumbs up button so fast you'll be amazed at my dexterity! :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
lol so you were saying all of this prior to having seeing them? WOW :)
WOW just saw the D/R FS! They were fast, effortless, in unison and unique. Fans should be extremely proud! I still do not feel an emotional connection to what they do but they were flawless!

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Well he is asked to commentate, getting paid for it and doing his job. Isn't it? Besides, all if it is arguably true.

He's getting paid to commentate not use it as a platform to bash his competitors. To compare them to juniors is insulting - if anything V/T were looking like juniors today with a botched lift, Max flubbing the SBS salchow, Tatiana stepping out of the throw, and lost levels everywhere.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
if i were mean, i would say they looked like SENIORS ...

but I won't. I will simply say that they looked out of shape... which is uncharacteristic.... I guess they have had health issues and lacked training.... they will have to work harder than that as they are no longer the only favourites.
He's getting paid to commentate not use it as a platform to bash his competitors. To compare them to juniors is insulting - if anything V/T were looking like juniors today with a botched lift, Max flubbing the SBS salchow, Tatiana stepping out of the throw, and lost levels everywhere.

slider11

Medalist
My thoughts on the pairs tonight :

Duhamel & Radford : Congrats ! Won fair and square. There are quite a few things I don't like about their programs this season but tonight I admired Meagan's determination to land everything (I didn't see her land the quad salchow in the warm-up so I was surprised she nailed it that well in the programme) and as always, Radford, who probably seems boring to some, is good-looking (in my book) so I always enjoy watching him. Plus, he's really consistent in the sbs jumps, isn't he?!

Sui & Han : I love them so much but this LP is not my favorite and the performance wasn't so great. Hope they'll come back stronger for 2017 and 2018.

Savchenko & Massot : Not a wonderful LP either, but they nailed most of their elements. It's amazing how much they've achieved in a rather short time. Even with a dull program, I enjoy watching them, because she's a goddess, and he's one hot hunk :p So, considering the performances of the other competitors, I'm quite happy they got the bronze here.

Stolbova & Klimov : Unfortunate they couldn't repeat their GPF performance :( I don't know how long those two will keep skating together.

Volosozhar & Trankov : I love this team, but tonight they were really messy. I'm wondering though, what exactly did Maxim say last year about his competitors?

Your thought are interesting. I, too, am not captivated by Duhamel and Radford but they did their job tonight. I did love Sui and Han's LP but there were cracks. They look disappointed but I see great things in their future. Aliona seems so human now. Either a good PR person got to her or she is just genuinely happier in her new partnership or has evolved to see that there is a personal side to all of this beside medals and technical efforts. Stolbova/ Klimov and Volosozhar Trankov are mysteries. Do both men have injuries? V/T have their gold so I can see that maybe it's too much physically for Maks and time to hang up the competitive skates. But S/K do have a magnetic intrigue to their skating and such potential. I would love to see more if he can handle the physical demands.

keasus

On the Ice
Fascinated by championship and decide to register in English-speaking forum. Before just read it, it differs so much from Russian forums, so good comments about all sportsmen and performances��

Really liked the SP of Sui/Han, FP of D/R. Stolbova Klimov were good. If not his injury, if not... Get so much emotions from their skating anyway��

Welcome OJuliaA! Please share you knowledge of the Russian skating scene with us as often as you can.

berry8

Final Flight

Welcome to GoldenSkate OJuliaA:D

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Sui and Han should not be blamed for not winning. The Chinese fed totally had sending P/Z and the Wangs blow up in their face though. When was the last Worlds that China only had 2 pairs entries?

Actually, China only had 2 spots during the Olympic season. they got three spots back last year, and now they're back to 2. Ironically, Sui and Han were screwed over by the Chinese fed for Peng/Zhang the year that they only had 2 spots (they were also suffering with an injury). Now Yu/Jin got screwed over for P/Z, and China is back to 2 spots.

-------------

Just wanted to say that I'm so glad S/M and the whole citizenship issue got resolved! They are fabulous and that triple twist is HUGE! And of course, Sui/Han won the PCS in the FS, and rightfully so. D/R were perfect technically, and there were so many happy Canadians in the audience after their skate :) After the medal ceremony all the pairs were shaking hands and hugging with audience members. It was really cute to see :) Sui/Han posed for lots of selfies with fans and thanked lots of their Chinese fans! And of course, D/R met with their many Canadian fans. They were so happy to see so much support. Savchenko/Massot had lots of fans too! Awesome to see since they are a new team this year. I have so much admiration for Savchenko too! At least someone's comeback is is going well (I'm still sad about Patrick,Mao,V/T).

Overall, the pairs event was very exciting! My highlight though is Sui/Han's amazing SP. The applause tore the roof off. Considering most of the audience was pro-USA and pro-Canada, I'm glad they showed S/H just as much, if not more support :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
final flight on cbc is being shown now...watching without stress and on the big screen will be nice ;)

badknees

Medalist
Nothing is shocking when the WC is hosted in USA.

I wouldn't be surprised to see all the russian ladies off podium tonight.

Are you saying that the Russians who didn't skate well enough to medal didn't medal simply because the WC was held in the US? How about the Americans who didn't skate well enough to medal in a WC held in the US? So I'm not sure what your point is.

ChemNerd

Spectator
Different topic but does anyone know if Dylan is injured? It looked like his shoulder was taped and I noticed they took out their lunge lifts in both the short and the free. He also looked exhausted and sore at the end of their LP.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
As a completely unimportant side note, I have come to think that the title queen gets a little overused in figure skating. And regarding Aliona, I somehow find the title duchess much more fitting to her.

I only saw one Queen with now two World Championships, ...Queen Meagan. D&R haters must be :disapp:

Last edited:

sweetskates1

Medalist
Love your name ChemNerd! Welcome to the forum!

Different topic but does anyone know if Dylan is injured? It looked like his shoulder was taped and I noticed they took out their lunge lifts in both the short and the free. He also looked exhausted and sore at the end of their LP.