2017-19 Splits & Partner Changes | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017-19 Splits & Partner Changes

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Shibnev wasn't good enough to keep up with Morozov's current wife last season, and she was brand new to Ice Dance. So, how on Earth is he going to keep up with Morozov's far more experienced ex?!
Really? That's interesting. But who's good enough for Morozov's wife anyway? :biggrin:
I tried to find Shibnev's height, didn't find it but he does look quite tall in those fotos. Good luck to them! And good luck to Zhiganshin as well for his future, I do have a soft spot for the guy.

hanca

Record Breaker
Russian junior pair Zhuk/Britkov have split up. She is on Russian icepartnersearch.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Really? That's interesting. But who's good enough for Morozov's wife anyway? :biggrin:
I tried to find Shibnev's height, didn't find it but he does look quite tall in those fotos. Good luck to them! And good luck to Zhiganshin as well for his future, I do have a soft spot for the guy.

Yep. For the past 2 seasons Shibnev has been partnered with girls who were brand new to Ice Dance - Maria Stavitskaya (from Ladies Singles) in 2015-16, and Vasilisa Davankova (from Pairs) in 2016-17. And both girls were outshining him by mid-sesason.

So, that is why I was concerned for Elena when I heard the news.

But, given how good and how experienced Elena is, I think she will be able to help develop Anton into the type of partner that she needs. So, I'm going to keep an open mind.

CaroLiza_fan

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Saulius Ambrulevičius & Allison Reed new partner Ice Dance for Lithuania
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWTcg46HEp2/?taken-by=saulius.a

I wish them well but how do the Reeds do it? They change countries like going to a different restaurant every night. They obviously love skating and have extreme resources. Have any of the Reeds cracked the top 5 at worlds or Olympics or top then? Maybe t here should be Reed exception - Team World lol. Skaters of the world.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
I wish them well but how do the Reeds do it? They change countries like going to a different restaurant every night. They obviously love skating and have extreme resources. Have any of the Reeds cracked the top 5 at worlds or Olympics or top then? Maybe t here should be Reed exception - Team World lol. Skaters of the world.

Allison Reed may change countries like underwear but Chris and Cathy skate(d) for Japan throughout their senior careers. Plus the Reeds had a right to claim Japanese citizenship through their mother, which Chris and Cathy took advantage of. Plus Cathy works in Japan now that she is retired.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Alexandria Shaughnessy and James Morgan (USA pairs) have split.

Ender

Match Penalty
At some point I wonder if sticking together and make it big is a virtue in pair and dance skating. Some splits have been so disappointing.

Barb

Record Breaker
At some point I wonder if sticking together and make it big is a virtue in pair and dance skating. Some splits have been so disappointing.

of course it is. I can hardly tolerate spending so much time with my friends on vacations, imagine having to be with the same person all the time, so many years, what a nightmare :eek:.

Ender

Match Penalty
of course it is. I can hardly tolerate spending so much time with my friends on vacations, imagine having to be with the same person all the time, so many years, what a nightmare :eek:.
Grishuk and Platov did (and we know how much they hated each other) and all that patience gave them 2 OGM... they turned their nightmare into glory.

hanca

Record Breaker
Grishuk and Platov did (and we know how much they hated each other) and all that patience gave them 2 OGM... they turned their nightmare into glory.
True, but then you have hundreds of pairs and ice dance couples who did stick together and it didn't lead anywhere. One could argue that if those pairs and dance couples split up, at least one of the partners may have achieved something with a new partner.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Meryl Davis' mother said in an interview: "Meryl and Charlie spend a lot more time together than most married couples do."

So true! And so sublime when the two individuals can make it work!

shmay

On the Ice

But did G&P have interpersonal issues pre-Pasha era? I assumed they were able to tolerate one another for at least the majority of their career

Barb

Record Breaker
True, but then you have hundreds of pairs and ice dance couples who did stick together and it didn't lead anywhere. One could argue that if those pairs and dance couples split up, at least one of the partners may have achieved something with a new partner.

yes, I guess in the most of the cases they are so involved personally with her/his partner, they have gone through difficult times together, sacrifices, so they do not feel able to replace them with a partner with whom they have more opportunity to progress. It must be a very difficult situation :(.

hanca

Record Breaker
yes, I guess in the most of the cases they are so involved personally with her/his partner, they have gone through difficult times together, sacrifices, so they do not feel able to replace them with a partner with whom they have more opportunity to progress. It must be a very difficult situation :(.
There is the saying that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. If you have a pair made from a strong skater and a weaker skater, you can stick together and wait whether the weaker partner catch up. He/she may catch up...or not. So you may spend years waiting and the weaker person just won't be at the same level as the stronger one because he/she may have reached his/her potential. In such situation you just waste the stronger skater, who could have achieved something big with another partner.

mom2cavs

Rinkside
There is the saying that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. If you have a pair made from a strong skater and a weaker skater, you can stick together and wait whether the weaker partner catch up. He/she may catch up...or not. So you may spend years waiting and the weaker person just won't be at the same level as the stronger one because he/she may have reached his/her potential. In such situation you just waste the stronger skater, who could have achieved something big with another partner.
I think there are at least 2 possible reasons. Some guys are very small and no matter how good their options are very limited. Jean Luc Baker is one. Also many guys especially, need funding and not all families can support 2 skaters.

TGee

Record Breaker
I think there are at least 2 possible reasons. Some guys are very small and no matter how good their options are very limited. Jean Luc Baker is one. Also many guys especially, need funding and not all families can support 2 skaters.

Well, and there we get into the power dynamic of male ice dance and pairs skaters....

Only a shortage of male partners would lead to a skating universe in which female skaters families can anticipate being asked to pitch in for more than their daughter's share of the costs.

Definitely know of parents of girls that steer them away from pairs and dance because the don't want their daughters growing up in an unbalanced power dynamic...

Ender

Match Penalty
But did G&P have interpersonal issues pre-Pasha era? I assumed they were able to tolerate one another for at least the majority of their career
I think it's not easy even from the beginning.

Turbo-Mom

On the Ice
Thanks for posting CaroLiz_fan, you didn't steal my thunder. We are excited for what the future will bring for Alex and Daniel. It's like they haven't missed a skating beat and same goes with the families. Appreciate your support.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Thanks for posting CaroLiz_fan, you didn't steal my thunder. We are excited for what the future will bring for Alex and Daniel. It's like they haven't missed a skating beat and same goes with the families. Appreciate your support.

Well I'm a fan, so I am looking forward to seeing what the future brings for them. All the best! Who's coaching them?