2017-19 Splits & Partner Changes | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2017-19 Splits & Partner Changes

hanca

Record Breaker
Pavlova, now there is somebody who needs to retire. She is just...there are no words.:sad21:

Well, something is going on with Pavlova. Both her pairs left her. Kudryavtseva/Spiridonov have apparently moved to Dmitriev, and Labazina/Rakhmanin left her too (one gossip says they went to Dmitriev but somewhere else I read they went to Mozer’s group, so not sure which one is correct).

bramweld

Record Breaker
Well, something is going on with Pavlova. Both her pairs left her. Kudryavtseva/Spiridonov have apparently moved to Dmitriev, and Labazina/Rakhmanin left her too (one gossip says they went to Dmitriev but somewhere else I read they went to Mozer’s group, so not sure which one is correct).

I can't remember the name of the partner (girl) that was recently treated for a severe eating disorder on account of her methods, it was so sad. I mean she's just a tragedy. The kids are smart to jump ship while they can.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had a crazy thought. Could Mervin go back to skating for Canada and pair with Luba? Would they be a good match?

Mervyn couldn't land SBS triples with Marissa and Lyuba couldn't land SBS triples with Dylan. So in a way, they are a matched set.

withwings

On the Ice
Re Luba and Dylan... imho they never was a good match. I thought that I might have been wrong but when I saw them on SOI in 2017, my impression was only confirmed. They simply did not blend together as a pair, and the same with their SBS. It truly is a mystery to have that magic connection as a pair... Luba and Mervin might be a great match because they both are with more or less similar psychological disposition. Dylan and Kirsten had a magic though. Sorry, I am off the topic.

hanca

Record Breaker
I can't remember the name of the partner (girl) that was recently treated for a severe eating disorder on account of her methods, it was so sad. I mean she's just a tragedy. The kids are smart to jump ship while they can.
Julia Antipova. But I partially blame her partner, Nodari Maisuradze, for not doing enough to protect her.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Lucie MYSLIVECKOVA / Lukas CSOLLEY have "ended their common career"

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh60djYjc_Z/?taken-by=lukascsolley

I am not sure if both or one of the 2 will continue.

From my reading of Lukas' statement, it sounds like they are both retiring.

Very disappointed to hear this. As somebody who has liked both of them for years, I thought that the new partnership was going to be the start of a new chapter in their revitalised careers. That they were in it for the long haul.

Like, Lucie had come back after a long time away from competition while she was concentrating on her education. And she had gone to the bother of gaining a new nationality so that her and her new partner were eligible to compete in everything. (OK, so a Czech getting Slovak citizenship isn't going to be as difficult as other instances. But, it still involves some bother).

By retiring now after just 2 years together, it really makes it look like it was always intended to be a short lived thing just so that they could say they had competed in an Olympics (for 2 skaters that have been around for as long as they have, I am amazed that Pyeongchang was the first Olympics for either of them).

And now that we know they are retiring, when you go back and read Lukas' end-of-season post again, it seems to confirm it.

I would have loved to see how they developed and improved over the next few years as they got more experience with each other. Because, based on what we have seen from both of them in their previous partnerships, I had a feeling that, come Beijing, they could have significantly improved on the 20[SUP]th[/SUP] position they got in Pyeongchang.

But, alas, it is not to be.

I wish them both all the best in whatever their futures hold.

CaroLiza_fan

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I always figured it was just a two year thing. To be as competitive as Testa & Csolley were and start over from scratch--it's asking a lot.

Andrea82

Medalist
Also, I think Lucie's shoulder is not full shape. They missed Spring 2017 because of it. But I think she may have had problems also this fall. IIRC after Nebelhorn, they didn't skate until mid-December (4 Nations) where they struggled. She had a visible band/plaster on the shoulder both at Euros and Olympics.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #7 in World Standings!
Record Breaker

OMG, why. I was looking forward to them in the upcoming season so much, they didn't even make a debut in the senior GPs eventhough they had 2 spots - first the injury, and now the split :cry: Wish them luck with their new partners, but gelling is going to take a while I guess. That's very bad news for Czech figure skating as they looked most promising; the reason for the split must have been quite serious though fortunately it looks like nothing health-related or they wouldn't continue separately. Fingers crossed for their new careers...

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Slams my head into the table.

Multiple times.

Sigh. I guess I can truly say goodbye to competitive Czech skaters. With the financial state of Czech figure skating and our incompetent federation it's gonna be hard. Why, just why...

Btw, I have a really bad feeling at least one of them will end up like Ondřej Hotárek. Multiple sigh. I guess Czech Republic can't have more than two good skaters at the same time anymore...

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
OMG, why. I was looking forward to them in the upcoming season so much, they didn't even make a debut in the senior GPs eventhough they had 2 spots - first the injury, and now the split :cry: Wish them luck with their new partners, but gelling is going to take a while I guess. That's very bad news for Czech figure skating as they looked most promising; the reason for the split must have been quite serious though fortunately it looks like nothing health-related or they wouldn't continue separately. Fingers crossed for their new careers...

There are two articles on the Czech news' websites. Both say the same. The couple has decided to split due to different opinions on where to train. Martin is in his senior year in high school and he would prefer to train abroad. Anna is now a high-school junior, which means she has one more year to go and she wants to stay in Prague.
(What the article doesn't say, but I will write it here: Anna is stuying grammar school, which is a type of school where you are expected to go to university after you graduate. If you don't go on to university after completing grammar school, you are considered as a person with no specialization. Martin is studying different type of school, which is not that academic. Maybe it could be the reason as well, but who knows.)
https://sport.idnes.cz/krasobruslen...-fu9-/sporty.aspx?c=A180427_110305_sporty_rou
http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/sport/z...i-duskova-s-bidarem-uz-spolu-zavodit-nebudou/

Anyway, I was shocked when I read the news and I'm very disappointed. They were great together, especially for a couple that young. Very promising couple, who could have competed for another 2 Olympic cycles. It will probably take ages and ages to have someone like them in the Czech Republic (I will be happy if this sentence turns out to be false).

Tutto

Record Breaker
Truly disappointing news, I enjoyed their skating and re-watched their programs at Euros on home ice quite a few times - the audience support was incredible

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I've already posted my reaction in their Fan Fest, but I wanted to add something here as well.

There are two articles on the Czech news' websites. Both say the same. The couple has decided to split due to different opinions on where to train. Martin is in his senior year in high school and he would prefer to train abroad. Anna is now a high-school junior, which means she has one more year to go and she wants to stay in Prague.
(What the article doesn't say, but I will write it here: Anna is stuying grammar school, which is a type of school where you are expected to go to university after you graduate. If you don't go on to university after completing grammar school, you are considered as a person with no specialization. Martin is studying different type of school, which is not that academic. Maybe it could be the reason as well, but who knows.)
https://sport.idnes.cz/krasobruslen...-fu9-/sporty.aspx?c=A180427_110305_sporty_rou
http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/sport/z...i-duskova-s-bidarem-uz-spolu-zavodit-nebudou/

On the one hand, this sounds plausible. But, Anna in particular had invested a lot in this partnership, giving up a promising Singles career to concentrate on Pairs with Martin. Of course, Martin also gave up a Singles career. But he freely admitted that he wasn't that into Singles as much as he was into Pairs. So, it seems strange that it would be her holding back from taking the next step.

On the other hand, it is understandable that Anna would want to see out her last year in school at home. And it is strange that Martin does not want to wait for her. So, I suspect that although this probably does play a part, that there are other underlying reasons.

I wonder if it is simply a case that they had outgrown each other physically. Like, both of them have changed so much over the past few years from the 2 kids that wowed us in Juniors. Anna is now a lot taller, whereas Martin is now built like a tank. Their new body shapes may simply not suit each other any more.

Slams my head into the table.

Multiple times.

Sigh. I guess I can truly say goodbye to competitive Czech skaters. With the financial state of Czech figure skating and our incompetent federation it's gonna be hard. Why, just why...

Btw, I have a really bad feeling at least one of them will end up like Ondřej Hotárek. Multiple sigh. I guess Czech Republic can't have more than two good skaters at the same time anymore...

Anyway, I was shocked when I read the news and I'm very disappointed. They were great together, especially for a couple that young. Very promising couple, who could have competed for another 2 Olympic cycles. It will probably take ages and ages to have someone like them in the Czech Republic (I will be happy if this sentence turns out to be false).

Let's try to be positive. If everything goes the right way, you could end up with 2 very good Pairs partnerships. Like, when Hurtado / Diaz split, we were all upset. But now Spain has 2 very good Ice Dance partnerships.

EDIT: Martin's post about the split indicates that there may be 2 Czech partnerships coming out of this.​

Still going to miss this partnership, though... :cry:

CaroLiza_fan

Tutto

Record Breaker
I've already posted my reaction in their Fan Fest, but I wanted to add something here as well.
On the one hand, this sounds plausible. But, Anna in particular had invested a lot in this partnership, giving up a promising Singles career to concentrate on Pairs with Martin. Of course, Martin also gave up a Singles career. But he freely admitted that he wasn't that into Singles as much as he was into Pairs. So, it seems strange that it would be her holding back from taking the next step.
On the other hand, it is understandable that Anna would want to see out her last year in school at home. And it is strange that Martin does not want to wait for her. So, I suspect that although this probably does play a part, that there are other underlying reasons.
I wonder if it is simply a case that they had outgrown each other physically. Like, both of them have changed so much over the past few years from the 2 kids that wowed us in Juniors. Anna is now a lot taller, whereas Martin is now built like a tank. Their new body shapes may simply not suit each other any more.
Let's try to be positive. If everything goes the right way, you could end up with 2 very good Pairs partnerships. Like, when Hurtado / Diaz split, we were all upset. But now Spain has 2 very good Ice Dance partnerships.

Still going to miss this partnership, though... :cry:

CaroLiza_fan

I agree there must be some other underlying reasons, they are so young but surely they must be aware of all the difficulties of making new partnerships work. I guess the federation and their coaches done all they could but...
I wish both of them good luck. Can't help feeling sad though :(

LRK

Record Breaker
No! I'm so disappointed - they showed such promise, and were so delightful to watch; I was looking forward to seeing them develop and grow in the future.

What a pity.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Duskova/Bidar would have been one of the top pairs in just a couple of years. What a shame!