2017-19 Splits & Partner Changes | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2017-19 Splits & Partner Changes

slider11

Medalist
Stepping away from Czech team slipt - I just rewatched one of my favorite pair skates - Savchenko and Szolkowy's Out of Africa from 2009. I know Robin chose to retire and was hoping Aliona would, too, in 2014 so they could do exhibitions. And I get that Aliona still had the competitive fire which certainy served her well in the future. But I always loved and preferred that pairing to the Massot one. I thought Robin had wonderful strength and elegance that made he and Aliona a wonderful team. So maybe pair changes happen for the best for at least one of the partners but sometimes there is a magic that can't be duplicated.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
With Julia Wagret teaming up with Pierre Souquet, we will see an interesting fight for the 3rd french spot at Euros.
For the moment, we only had 2 senior dance teams! (Papadakis/Cizeron and Lauriault/Le Gac)

This is a call for competition, the level is going up :agree: French Nationals will get more and more interesting !

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
That's another option. My guesses were Radek Jakubka (one year younger than Anna competing at Junior Level with Edita Hornakova) or Jiri Belohradsky (Single skater but with previous experience with Pairs at Novice Level).
But all three guys are "newbies" with Pairs :(

OK, going to start a conspiracy theory.

I just saw on my Facebook news feed a photo that Jiri posted yesterday morning of Filip Ščerba, Martin and a male coach (possibly Rostislav Sinicyn, but it's hard to tell as I haven't seen any pictures of him for quite a few years and we only see half of the guy's face from the side) on the ice.

Filip and Martin are both standing in the same position, each with one arm across their belly and the other up above their head.

Maybe I am reading too much into things, but perhaps this is an indication that they will be in the same category next season. :think:

And then you add in that it was Jiri that uploaded the photo...

I'll shut up now and let the conspiracy theorists continue from here! :devil:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

luckyguy

Match Penalty
With Julia Wagret teaming up with Pierre Souquet, we will see an interesting fight for the 3rd french spot at Euros.
For the moment, we only had 2 senior dance teams! (Papadakis/Cizeron and Lauriault/Le Gac)

Did you forget Angélique Abachkina? She reportedly wants to represent France with her new partner too.

Jana

On the Ice
OK, going to start a conspiracy theory.

I just saw on my Facebook news feed a photo that Jiri posted yesterday morning of Filip Ščerba, Martin and a male coach (possibly Rostislav Sinicyn, but it's hard to tell as I haven't seen any pictures of him for quite a few years and we only see half of the guy's face from the side) on the ice.

Filip and Martin are both standing in the same position, each with one arm across their belly and the other up above their head.

Maybe I am reading too much into things, but perhaps this is an indication that they will be in the same category next season. :think:

And then you add in that it was Jiri that uploaded the photo...

I'll shut up now and let the conspiracy theorists continue from here! :devil:

CaroLiza_fan
Do you have a link?

But why Martin cares about Anna's partner? Filip doesn't have any experience with pairs, right? And also I am not sure about his age..

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Do you have a link?

But why Martin cares about Anna's partner? Filip doesn't have any experience with pairs, right? And also I am not sure about his age..

The post is restricted to friends of the people in the photo, but hopefully this direct link will last for long enough for you to see (I hate the way that Facebook keeps changing the direct links to photos):

https://scontent.flhr4-2.fna.fbcdn....=5abd69320d21d4350ad2d8f28e362546&oe=5B9A0D6A

Can I just say, Filip looks so much like Stephane Lambiel in this photo!

I don't know anything about Filip apart from what is on his Bios (ISU Bio; Rink Results Bio; Stats On Ice Bio; Tracings Bio)

There is no mention of Pairs results on any of them. So it would possibly take him too long to go from brand new to the level that Anna would be wanting. His birthday is 2001, so he is also possibly a bit young for her.

But, unlikely as it may seem, maybe we should consider looking at it from the other direction - Martin going back to Singles. After all, all 3 skaters there have experience in Singles, 2 of them currently (Jiri and Filip).

CaroLiza_fan

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #7 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Too bad about the Abachkina/Thauron split, I had no idea. These two were so memorable together. I cannot recall the faces and programs of some other senior newbies like Loboda/Drozd for the life of me, but Abachkina/Thauron were so charismatic... sigh. Disappointing.

Jana

On the Ice
The post is restricted to friends of the people in the photo, but hopefully this direct link will last for long enough for you to see (I hate the way that Facebook keeps changing the direct links to photos):

https://scontent.flhr4-2.fna.fbcdn....=5abd69320d21d4350ad2d8f28e362546&oe=5B9A0D6A

Can I just say, Filip looks so much like Stephane Lambiel in this photo!

I don't know anything about Filip apart from what is on his Bios (ISU Bio; Rink Results Bio; Stats On Ice Bio; Tracings Bio)

There is no mention of Pairs results on any of them. So it would possibly take him too long to go from brand new to the level that Anna would be wanting. His birthday is 2001, so he is also possibly a bit young for her.

But, unlikely as it may seem, maybe we should consider looking at it from the other direction - Martin going back to Singles. After all, all 3 skaters there have experience in Singles, 2 of them currently (Jiri and Filip).

CaroLiza_fan

I think that it is just random training photo.

Martin as a single skater? If I remember it right - Martin was the one who was making a lot of miskates (incl. falls) during side by side jumps. And I am not sure, if he could rotate for example 3Lo or 3Lz/3F combos. They tried 3Lz SBS with Anna last summer.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
There were videos of Martin as a singles skater and he only did a toe and sal how consistently. Not even sure he was trying a loop.

Jana

On the Ice
There were videos of Martin as a singles skater and he only did a toe and sal how consistently. Not even sure he was trying a loop.

I just found that he participate in 2016 Czech National Championship
SP: 3S+2T, 3T(-3 GOE but not fall), 2A
FS: 3S (-3 GOE), 2A, 3T+2T, 3T (-3 GOE, fall), 3S+2T, 2A (-2 GOE), 2Lz, 2Lo+1Lo+2S

And we saw that he had a lot of problems with jumps. Yes, he might practise other jumps (inc. 3Lz for the SBS), but that's not enough to be a single skater. He wants to continue Pairs as he is looking for a new partner - he posted that on his IG and also Tomas Verner and his brother Petr are trying to help him (and his Canadioan coach and maybe Czech Fed).

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I think that it is just random training photo.

Martin as a single skater? If I remember it right - Martin was the one who was making a lot of miskates (incl. falls) during side by side jumps. And I am not sure, if he could rotate for example 3Lo or 3Lz/3F combos. They tried 3Lz SBS with Anna last summer.

I did say that him going back to Singles was unlikely. ;)

But, I wanted to raise it as a possibility. Because unlike some people, I don't believe the split was inevitable. (You all know what my theory is, so there's no need to go over old ground again).

I may be deluding myself, but I believe that they could have stayed together despite having different ideas on where to train over the next year. If they took a year out from Pairs while Anna was finishing off school, they could have spent that time improving their own skating in Singles training.

It is accepted that Anna is the better skater of the two. Just looking at their Singles careers shows this:

• Anna was regularly finishing 10[SUP]th[/SUP] – 15[SUP]th[/SUP] in Junior GP's, and fighting with Hanzlíčková and Březinová for the Czech Senior Ladies title (that the 2015/16 season title went to Březinová is still a sore point for me)

• Martin was doing respectably in terms of positions, but his scores weren't close to those of the top Czech Men's skaters.

A year of intensive training for Martin in Canada, and of lighter training for Anna at home, would have brought them closer together in terms of their skating, which would have really benefitted them as a partnership.

Although, the fact that Martin has bulked up for doing Pairs would probably mean he would have to learn to do things slightly differently than he did before.

Anyway, it was just a hypothetical idea. We know it won't be happening, so it doesn't matter really.

CaroLiza_fan