2017-19 Splits & Partner Changes | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2017-19 Splits & Partner Changes

Jana

On the Ice
I did say that him going back to Singles was unlikely. ;)

But, I wanted to raise it as a possibility. Because unlike some people, I don't believe the split was inevitable. (You all know what my theory is, so there's no need to go over old ground again).

I may be deluding myself, but I believe that they could have stayed together despite having different ideas on where to train over the next year. If they took a year out from Pairs while Anna was finishing off school, they could have spent that time improving their own skating in Singles training.

It is accepted that Anna is the better skater of the two. Just looking at their Singles careers shows this:

• Anna was regularly finishing 10[SUP]th[/SUP] – 15[SUP]th[/SUP] in Junior GP's, and fighting with Hanzlíčková and Březinová for the Czech Senior Ladies title (that the 2015/16 season title went to Březinová is still a sore point for me)

• Martin was doing respectably in terms of positions, but his scores weren't close to those of the top Czech Men's skaters.

A year of intensive training for Martin in Canada, and of lighter training for Anna at home, would have brought them closer together in terms of their skating, which would have really benefitted them as a partnership.

Although, the fact that Martin has bulked up for doing Pairs would probably mean he would have to learn to do things slightly differently than he did before.

Anyway, it was just a hypothetical idea. We know it won't be happening, so it doesn't matter really.

CaroLiza_fan

Well, I also think it's possible that he will eventually find out that the best will be brushing together again but it depends on what partners they find. Time will show :)

sykr

Spectator
I have to say I prefered to stay away from this discussion about Duskova/Bidar at first, because I think it is very unfair to judge somebody without knowing him and the whole situation personally. But some of the comments made me put my 2 cents here.

I think everybody is taking these „education“ reasons too seriously. For me, this seems like PR reply. Maybe it is one the reasons, but definitely not the only one. Actually, the first idea that came to my mind when reading this sad news was: „ok, so Bidar have finally enough, he fulfilled his job, worked through olympics and worlds and now, he’s running from „them“ as far as he can“

Now first of all, please don’t jump on me and say I’m Anna’s hater, because that is absolutelly not true. There are aspects of her skating I like less or more. I can’t judge her as person (actually I have impression she’s very joyous, nice young lady) and I have a huge respect for her as a sportswoman, especially after her heroic comeback from the injury.

That said, I’ve always had an impression of a very uneven possition of both partners in this pair, with Martin always playing the second fiddle. This feeling started during the EC in Ostrava, when some interviews where shown on the big screens in the areena during ice resurfacing. Mrs. Horklova was talking about the couple. She spend tons of time, talking about Anna as a leader of the couple, how amazing she is, expressive, with great technique,… Then, at the end, she put together 2 sentences about Martin. „He is very calm. His jumping ability is average.“ I was in a complete shock, hearing this. Seriously? How do you think the skater feels, if the coach have nothing good to tell about him? And it is shown to the audience during his first senior championship…. Also, how does she interact with him, if she is fine to comment about him on public this way?

I’m not even trying to find lots of information about them, but on numerous ocasions, I had impression something is really wrong. Them having their music, costumes,…completely organized by their coach. Some comments here and there in the interviews of their coach ("But the leader of the team, Anicka, has it in clear in her head, and I believe that she will always push for it." (does it mean he doesn't ?), etc….) . Having so much emphasis on Anna’s injury, while almost never mention his injuries. His costume miraculously forgotten in his coache's wardrobe….just small details, but to me, that relationship seemed always somehow unbalanced.

Even if you check their last instagram posts, Anna's is about having great memories and being gratefull to everybody who supported the couple, but she didn't really thank Martin at all. Also, her picture has her on the first plan. For Bidar it is the different, he thanks Anna for the years together and he choose picture that shows them equally. Maybe I'm reading too much into the pictures, but the fact she didn't really thank Bidar seems unfortunate to me. Also, I can see how he felt unconfortable, living with her familly at the age of 18 and I find it unacceptable her parents were informed about his intentions to move by the coach, before he had opportunity to do it himself. And if it is really true, that her parents informed the fed about their split without informing him, how can you even blame him for the split ?

Sure, Anna’s big quality is her amazing smile, speed and joy she’s projecting, while skating. But I would argue, Martin is otherwise much better. He should work on the presentation side, but he has much better lines, finishing his movements, he's very flexible for a male partner and pretty strong and reliable. Yes, I really find him strong. You have to consider, that while Anna is not so young (for pairs girls), he is super young (for pairs boy). At his age, parthers are generally dealing with 14 years old tiny girls. Also, from the dance choreographer point of view, I have big problem with, let’s say, aesthetics of her movements and it seems she’s not super helpfull in lifts neither. Again, this is not to criticize her, but to say, imo, he’s not getting credit at all.

I wish them all the best, her to combine her education and skating and not lose that amazing joy and him to fulfull all his ambitions while being more respected and free to make his decisions.

Jana

On the Ice
sykr, nice thoughts but where is the truth? I do not want to judge anyone - Anna, Martin, their parents, their coache(s), Czech Fed, ....

Yes, you're right with something - Anna was the leader and it might become a problem. They also spend a lot of time together. During Olympics some people were asking them if they date together - the question was not pleasant for both of them - yes, it might be because of the topics or maybe one of them want "more" and the other not.
It looks like that Mrs Horklova doesn't like Martin - she does not talk about him nicely if he's already mentioned - he has a lof of fat on his body, he gains a lot of fat when he doesn't train (is injured). This might be a problem too.
It may have been difficult for them to deal with popularity - a lot of interviews during Euros in Ostrava, also during the Olympics season. Czech media focused on them a lot.

Maybe they had a lot of time to think during Anna's injury.

These are only my thoughts... With the information we have, we can't find out what exactly happened. And it is not only one thing, but a mix of several problems. Offical reason is different long-term goals (training conditions).

And yes, both of them have their positive properties and also some negative ones. They switched to seniors because of Euros in Ostrava and the Olympics, so they worked on the senior free program last season (and it was very hard for Martin). This season, they were trying to survive Olympics and didn't have time to improve.

Jana

On the Ice
Even if you check their last instagram posts, Anna's is about having great memories and being gratefull to everybody who supported the couple, but she didn't really thank Martin at all. Also, her picture has her on the first plan. For Bidar it is the different, he thanks Anna for the years together and he choose picture that shows them equally. Maybe I'm reading too much into the pictures, but the fact she didn't really thank Bidar seems unfortunate to me.
You do not know why she chose this photo. It might be because of the moment and the memory of the moment. And the text? She could thank him personally - I do not see a reason to communicate with someone who is close to me via Instagram. I would not say that Martin is/was not important to her or just some one who lifted her and nothing more.

withwings

On the Ice
I have to say I prefered to stay away from this discussion about Duskova/Bidar at first, because I think it is very unfair to judge somebody without knowing him and the whole situation personally. But some of the comments made me put my 2 cents here.

I think everybody is taking these „education“ reasons too seriously. For me, this seems like PR reply. Maybe it is one the reasons, but definitely not the only one. Actually, the first idea that came to my mind when reading this sad news was: „ok, so Bidar have finally enough, he fulfilled his job, worked through olympics and worlds and now, he’s running from „them“ as far as he can“

Now first of all, please don’t jump on me and say I’m Anna’s hater, because that is absolutelly not true. There are aspects of her skating I like less or more. I can’t judge her as person (actually I have impression she’s very joyous, nice young lady) and I have a huge respect for her as a sportswoman, especially after her heroic comeback from the injury.

That said, I’ve always had an impression of a very uneven possition of both partners in this pair, with Martin always playing the second fiddle. This feeling started during the EC in Ostrava, when some interviews where shown on the big screens in the areena during ice resurfacing. Mrs. Horklova was talking about the couple. She spend tons of time, talking about Anna as a leader of the couple, how amazing she is, expressive, with great technique,… Then, at the end, she put together 2 sentences about Martin. „He is very calm. His jumping ability is average.“ I was in a complete shock, hearing this. Seriously? How do you think the skater feels, if the coach have nothing good to tell about him? And it is shown to the audience during his first senior championship…. Also, how does she interact with him, if she is fine to comment about him on public this way?

I’m not even trying to find lots of information about them, but on numerous ocasions, I had impression something is really wrong. Them having their music, costumes,…completely organized by their coach. Some comments here and there in the interviews of their coach ("But the leader of the team, Anicka, has it in clear in her head, and I believe that she will always push for it." (does it mean he doesn't ?), etc….) . Having so much emphasis on Anna’s injury, while almost never mention his injuries. His costume miraculously forgotten in his coache's wardrobe….just small details, but to me, that relationship seemed always somehow unbalanced.

Even if you check their last instagram posts, Anna's is about having great memories and being gratefull to everybody who supported the couple, but she didn't really thank Martin at all. Also, her picture has her on the first plan. For Bidar it is the different, he thanks Anna for the years together and he choose picture that shows them equally. Maybe I'm reading too much into the pictures, but the fact she didn't really thank Bidar seems unfortunate to me. Also, I can see how he felt unconfortable, living with her familly at the age of 18 and I find it unacceptable her parents were informed about his intentions to move by the coach, before he had opportunity to do it himself. And if it is really true, that her parents informed the fed about their split without informing him, how can you even blame him for the split ?

Sure, Anna’s big quality is her amazing smile, speed and joy she’s projecting, while skating. But I would argue, Martin is otherwise much better. He should work on the presentation side, but he has much better lines, finishing his movements, he's very flexible for a male partner and pretty strong and reliable. Yes, I really find him strong. You have to consider, that while Anna is not so young (for pairs girls), he is super young (for pairs boy). At his age, parthers are generally dealing with 14 years old tiny girls. Also, from the dance choreographer point of view, I have big problem with, let’s say, aesthetics of her movements and it seems she’s not super helpfull in lifts neither. Again, this is not to criticize her, but to say, imo, he’s not getting credit at all.

I wish them all the best, her to combine her education and skating and not lose that amazing joy and him to fulfull all his ambitions while being more respected and free to make his decisions.

:thumbsup:

hanca

Record Breaker

Nice post, but I have read it somewhere. On another forum. Did you just join several forums to speak up for Martin? It makes me wonder about your motivation. You are not his mother, by any chance?

Nirti

Medalist
LOL! At what number is he? I lost count.
Who is the one who lasted longer with him?

2010-2013 Danielle Montalbano
2013-2014 Andrea Davidovich
2014-2016 Adel Tankova
2016-2017 Arina Cherniavskaia
2017-2018 Paige Conners

5 partners in 5 years :biggrin: but 4 years with Danielle Montalbano.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Don't worry, you are more than welcome to express your opinion. And I for one thought you made some very interesting points. Especially about the coach.

That's the problem for those of us in other countries. There are loads of things that we don't get to hear.

CaroLiza_fan

hanca

Record Breaker
2010-2013 Danielle Montalbano
2013-2014 Andrea Davidovich
2014-2016 Adel Tankova
2016-2017 Arina Cherniavskaia
2017-2018 Paige Conners

5 partners in 5 years :biggrin: but 4 years with Danielle Montalbano.
And the sad thing is that the best placement at Europeans, olympics and worlds he had with Davidovich and Montalbano.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Also, Jacob Simon and Alexandria Yao apparently split.
http://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=6160

Alexandria Yao will apparently attend Columbia U. in the fall. (Her IG says she was accepted and she certainly looks like she likes Manhattan:) )

I can’t tell if she intends to continue training, but while Nathan Chen may be able to train on his own while attending an East Coast Ivy; a pair girl, probably not;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
.... Also, Jacob Simon and Alexandria Yao apparently split.
http://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=6160 ...

ICYMI/FWIW, video from late March of Secunda/Simon executing a throw jump is on page 3 of this thread.

Video was posted on Instagram both by Secunda and by Sappenfield.

Although it was not a formal announcement of a new partnership, it seemed to me to be public acknowledgment at least of a try-out -- and probably of a permanent pairing??

(General comment unrelated to Jacob:
Even when someone already has formally announced a new partnership, I have noticed that it often takes a very long time before the person removes her/his icepartnersearch listing.)​

ETA (on May 23):

Nirti

Medalist
Martin Bidar is now listed on IcePartnerSearch.

2 other new names on this site : Tina Garabedian is looking for a new partner to represent Armenia and Bogdana Lukashevich (russian pair skater)

hanca

Record Breaker
2 other new names on this site : Tina Garabedian is looking for a new partner to represent Armenia and Bogdana Lukashevich (russian pair skater)

Lukashevich’s skating expartner Stepanov has been listed for a while. It is weird, they both have two triples, on a paper they should have been improving with every competition, and yet even though there was some progress in the last three years, the progress was very tiny. It just never happened at competitions. They never skated clean, their elements lacked the wow factor, so they were not getting high GOE...

Jana

On the Ice
Martin Bidar is now listed on IcePartnerSearch.
It looks like that he has left Mrs Horklova as he listed Tomas Verner and his brother Petr as coaches.

I start to see it differently - Martin had a problem with Mrs Horkolova so he wanted to go abroad (away from her). From the article - Anna said that she wants to train under her. So this might be the problem (yeah, another version of story why they split :D).

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It looks like that he has left Mrs Horklova as he listed Tomas Verner and his brother Petr as coaches.

I start to see it differently - Martin had a problem with Mrs Horkolova so he wanted to go abroad (away from her). From the article - Anna said that she wants to train under her. So this might be the problem (yeah, another version of story why they split :D).

From what has been coming out the past couple of days, it does seem that Horklová favoured Anna over Martin. And that would certainly explain why Martin was so keen to leave Prague and move to Canada - he felt he would be treated more fairly there.

Now I'm starting to wonder if Horklová engineered this split. She didn't think Martin was good enough for Anna so, when he confided in her about thinking of moving, she saw it as an opportunity to drive a permanent wedge between him and the Dušeks.

This sealed Martin's decision to move. But because of her being at a different stage of life to him (it's strange using that phrase for people who are only a year apart in age, but that is essentially what we have here), Anna wanted to stay at home. And that is why they split.

Right, now that all the pieces of the puzzle appear to be finally coming together, I'm out of this conversation.

It's time to look to the future now.

CaroLiza_fan

Jana

On the Ice
From what has been coming out the past couple of days, it does seem that Horklová favoured Anna over Martin. And that would certainly explain why Martin was so keen to leave Prague and move to Canada - he felt he would be treated more fairly there.

Now I'm starting to wonder if Horklová engineered this split. She didn't think Martin was good enough for Anna so, when he confided in her about thinking of moving, she saw it as an opportunity to drive a permanent wedge between him and the Dušeks.
Well, Mrs Horklova has something with their split. I do not think she wanted to split them, but she is on Anna's side (she already had a tip for a new partner for Anna when they were announcing the split). If she wanted someone better for Anna, she probably would not find him in Czechia but abroad.

It is now possible to see that those relationships were complicated and it was hard to find a way forward, so the spit makes sense.