2017 CS Nebelhorn Mens FS | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2017 CS Nebelhorn Mens FS

ElenaClaire

On the Ice
It's been a long time since I posted here but I feel like I had to because Julian Yee has made it!! :clap:
I wanted to share that a few years back I happened to often see him practicing in the rink located in the shopping mall in Malaysia. He was probably 16/17 then. I even once or twice recorded him doing some stuff. I had rather plenty of free time back then. I knew he must be one of (if not) the best the country has. Also I saw him doing what may be called an exhibition program in this one skating event as well. I remember he was skating with an umbrella but can't remember the song and he was intriguing to watch.
It's amazing how he's come so far now and I wish him the best, that he'll get the support he deserves.

Too bad for MCM but the other guys seemed to have done well so..

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Swedish Committee is odd. Even in a 3rd world country, if the skater qualified on merit, he gets to go. Worse case scenario, pay his own way.
For instance, Julian Yee just needs to do a donation drive, his expenses to South Korea will be covered.
Even then, we will make hue and cry till the Msia Sports minister do something abt it.

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
Congrats to Jorik and all who qualified.

The Majorov thing has me steamed. Like really steamed. Can we start some kind of petition? Why would they not send him? No he won't win a medal but if that's all people care about what has the Olympics turned into?

If they deni him going we'll start a petition. Probably every figure skater in sweden is going to be verry angry if he doesnt get to go

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Congratulations to all skaters that managed to qualify their country to the Olympics and especially to Malaysia!!!!!

Sorry about Martinez, but does he have a new coach almost every season???

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
only watched top 6 so far, and what an emotional rollercoaster that was for me, seeing skaters who achieved their dreams under immense pressure is amazing, i have no idea how they deal with it, seeing their relief and tears at K&C made me cry too
FS world is so cruel, cant they send everyone to Olympics? :sad21:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think every country has a certain number of athletes they are allowed to send to the Olympics? In northern winter sport countries there are so many different sports with possibly better athletes in skiing, ski jumping and in what ever, maybe even with hopes to place real high. Sometimes Finland has not sent the qualified men´s singles skater for a holiday to the Olympics, because it is certain that he will not even qualify for the freeskate.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I think every country has a certain number of athletes they are allowed to send to the Olympics? In northern winter sport countries there are so many different sports with possibly better athletes in skiing, ski jumping and in what ever, maybe even with hopes to place real high. Sometimes Finland has not sent the qualified men´s singles skater for a holiday to the Olympics, because it is certain that he will not even qualify for the freeskate.

Countries may have their own internal standards for each sport about how athletes have to do to get sent for an earned spot, but there is no technical limit for how many total athletes any one country can send to the Olympics. Entries are limited by respective sports though.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Julian Yee in the exhibition gala right now as Zorro... complete with cape... and some other stuff. :agree:

sam123

On the Ice
I found this very helpful comment on Julian's video:
"His skating is beautiful, but the biggest problem is jumps. As you see his performance, it is clear that his body is too heavy to jump smoothly. It can't be modified in 2-3 years. That's why there is no future for him to win a medal in any international competition unfotunately."

This is unfair. Seems like this guy only look at figure skating medallists and disregard the others. I feel that this guy doesn't even know how much Julian's improved ever since he moved to Canada (well, except his spins and he needed a better choreographer). I feel like putting HIM on the ice instead, see whether he is any better than Juju. :rolleye:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I found this very helpful comment on Julian's video:
"His skating is beautiful, but the biggest problem is jumps. As you see his performance, it is clear that his body is too heavy to jump smoothly. It can't be modified in 2-3 years. That's why there is no future for him to win a medal in any international competition unfotunately."

This is unfair. Seems like this guy only look at figure skating medallists and disregard the others. I feel that this guy doesn't even know how much Julian's improved ever since he moved to Canada (well, except his spins and he needed a better choreographer). I feel like putting HIM on the ice instead, see whether he is any better than Juju. :rolleye:

True. In my opinion if someone is practising a sport like figure skating, they must be tough as nails. Not every skater can be Yuzuru Hanyu or Patrick Chan. But a sport needs ALL the men. The skater who ends up as 26th in a B-competition, as well as the skater who will never participate at Worlds. Should the skater stop because it's not getting anywhere? Where is 'anywhere' anyway? Who is to judge that, and who knows how a young skater can still improve, and maybe achieve personal goals? That might not be the quad or even the triple axel, but something different. I am thankful for everyone. I went to Nebelhorn and saw these guys compete and it made me rethink the way I post here on this forum as well. It's sometimes way too harsh, and I hope they don't read too much online or take it to heart. It's admirable that they put themselves out there and compete. No matter where they end up.

sam123

On the Ice
A good rule of thumb is to never read any Youtube comments at all.

Most of the times I don't, but on this rare occasion I decided to. And I felt the mighty need to grab a crossbow and just shoot an arrow everywhere LOL. No need to even mention their SocMed accounts. After MCM failed to qualify for the Olympics, oh God. His accounts were filled with stuff like "you better retire" and stuff. #protectsmallfedskaters

sam123

On the Ice
True. In my opinion if someone is practising a sport like figure skating, they must be tough as nails. Not every skater can be Yuzuru Hanyu or Patrick Chan. But a sport needs ALL the men. The skater who ends up as 26th in a B-competition, as well as the skater who will never participate at Worlds. Should the skater stop because it's not getting anywhere? Where is 'anywhere' anyway? Who is to judge that, and who knows how a young skater can still improve, and maybe achieve personal goals? That might not be the quad or even the triple axel, but something different. I am thankful for everyone. I went to Nebelhorn and saw these guys compete and it made me rethink the way I post here on this forum as well. It's sometimes way too harsh, and I hope they don't read too much online or take it to heart. It's admirable that they put themselves out there and compete. No matter where they end up.

Some people just go on about jumps all the way. For me, its not only about the jumps, its the connection one has with the audience as well as personality. If your jumps are good (you know, BEAUTIFUL & SMOOTH jumps) but your program is just bleh, I won't like it. I will just not feel a thing. I generally cheer on for everyone, but I support those figure skaters who are scored lower but there's more personality in their programs (feel free to disagree on this, but this is just my opinion lol). Somehow these days all I see is that people are just talking about how beautiful and effortless one's jumps are. If said jumps are not to their "standards" they'd be like "he's got no future" or "he's nothing interesting". Yeah, reminds me of those non soccer critics who often criticized the moves by soccer players.

Side note: I want to see him land a basic toe loop jump. I bet he can't :p

noskates

Record Breaker
Just got home from work and haven't read this thread - only looked at the men's results. Very happy for Adam Rippon.