2017 Four Continents Free Dance | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Free Dance

lavender

Record Breaker
I'm glad the Shibs revamp their long. I'm really liking it more. I love the beginning of V/M's program but I just can't feel whatever the commentators feel for them. I think their skating/edges are to die for and I like Tessa but Scott leaves me cold (that's just me).

nocturnalis

Medalist
Comments re: skating are fine but comments about weight are disgusting. Pick the skating apart if you want.

Anyway, another thing that affects the Shibs' PCS probably is that they (still) skate small on the ice whereas V/M skate big.
They can't. Because they don't know anything about technique. That's why they are trying to insinuate that she should not have won because she is "fat".

sarama

Medalist
Did V/M re-arrange their elements or place some of them earlier in the FD? I remember the elements being timed differently to the music which I think worked much better before. I don't remember that big pose section after the dance spin. It seemed like a big empty spot compared to what it was like previously. I preferred the FD during the GP series.

They have changed a few things especially in their diagonal step sequence and therefore the choreo twizzles are later than before, for example. Personally I preferred the older choreography and the previous version of the spin, and I think their interpretation at NHK was the best one up to now.
Anyway, I think Tessa and Scott never give their best when they aren't particularly challenged by their adversaries: which is why they usually aren't that great at Nationals, so I think it makes sense that their best performances these season have been the ones against Gabi and Guillaume.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
They have changed a few things especially in their diagonal step sequence and therefore the choreo twizzles are later than before, for example. Personally I preferred the older choreography and the previous version of the spin, and I think their interpretation at NHK was the best one up to now.
Anyway, I think Tessa and Scott never give their best when they aren't particularly challenged by their adversaries: which is why they usually aren't that great at Nationals, so I think it makes sense that their best performances these season have been the ones against Gabi and Guillaume.

Are you saying they don't see the Shibs as real challengers?

About their performance, I do agree NHK was their best, but I actually loved the way Scott was into it and the choreography at Skate Canada despite them being a bit shaken up after the Twizzle error.

Last edited:

sarama

Medalist
Are you saying they don't see the Shibs as real challengers?

Probably not as much as PapCiz... I mean it's totally possible that next month they end up winning Worlds, but I think in Tessa and Scott's mind their main competition is represented by the French and rightfully so, since they came into this season with a lot of momentum and they haven't lost a competition in more than a year except to V/M.
Also (I might be totally wrong though), but based on their VERY LONG history together, I think for Tessa and Scott Maia and Alex will always be the little kids who they used to tease all the time, therefore they might find it difficult to see the Shibs as real competition. That doesn't mean Maia and Alex have no chance at beating them (although it's not the most likely thing short-term)

I always thought that Davis and White were ill-matched in their packaging. My daughter described it as "surfer/stoner dude" and "ice princess/ballerina".

:rock: Let's hear it for the slacker boy! Good thing he had his big sister, the princess-balerina to keep him in line. :laugh:

In real life, Charlie can be as serious-minded as the next surfer dude. But oh well.

... what you'd get if you matched Maia Shibutani with Cizeron...

That would be brilliant! (No offence, Alex and Gabriella.) Guillaume would be so gentlemanly and solicitous of her! Or would he? He is a Frenchman. :yes:

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
Probably not as much as PapCiz... I mean it's totally possible that next month they end up winning Worlds, but I think in Tessa and Scott's mind their main competition is represented by the French and rightfully so, since they came into this season with a lot of momentum and they haven't lost a competition in more than a year except to V/M.
Also (I might be totally wrong though), but based on their VERY LONG history together, I think for Tessa and Scott Maia and Alex will always be the little kids who they used to tease all the time, therefore they might find it difficult to see the Shibs as real competition. That doesn't mean Maia and Alex have no chance at beating them (although it's not the most likely thing short-term)

V/M did not reached the top being confident and underestimating to their rivals. It would be very stupid of their part consider as only threate to P/C. And precisely because Tessa and Scott trained with Maia and Alex, they more than anyone should be surprised how far have Shibs come. The Shibs are gaining momentum while P/C are losing it, that is a fact.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Never cared much for Virtue and Moir's programs. They always seem the same to me and rather boring. What an ugly dress, it makes her look like she is overweight.

Jeez, I wish I was as overweight as Tessa Virtue...

Barb

Record Breaker
Jeez, I wish I was as overweight as Tessa Virtue...

I've never thought she looked overweight (even to be a figure skater), but this season she definitely looks thinner, so I don´t understand those previous comments about she looking fat.

and the comments about her dress being horrible, well, I don´t think is horrible but being she so pretty I was a little disappointed with her dresses this season, but her costume for SD :love:

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I've never thought she looked overweight (even to be a figure skater), but this season she definitely looks thinner, so I don´t understand those previous comments about she looking fat.

and the comments about her dress being horrible, well, I don´t think is horrible but being she so pretty I was a little disappointed with her dresses this season, but her costume for SD :love:

Yeah, she has lost weight from 2014, and she wasn't "fat" then either. Not all skaters can be the size of Yuko Kavaguti.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Tessa is a gorgeous, thin and strong woman. And she would be gorgeous whether or not she was thin. I feel sorry for anyone who can't see that.

sarama

Medalist
V/M did not reached the top being confident and underestimating to their rivals. It would be very stupid of their part consider as only threate to P/C. And precisely because Tessa and Scott trained with Maia and Alex, they more than anyone should be surprised how far have Shibs come. The Shibs are gaining momentum while P/C are losing it, that is a fact.

I don't think they are underestimating them. I think that Maia and Alex don't light that competitive fire in V/M the same way P/C do or Davis/White used do. And I was noticing that Tessa and Scott give their best when they feel that adrenaline spiking, which is maybe why they felt a bit off to some people (but of course that's nitpicking)

alain06fr

On the Ice
The Shibs are gaining momentum while P/C are losing it, that is a fact.

Humm.. you should not underestimate P/C
S/S had their best performance at 4C, that's a fact but P/C had their best performance at Europeans and that's a fact too. Given the very special (that's the least I can say!) context of the 2017 Europeans, winning in Ostrava a 3rd consecutive European title was a great achievement. BTW, it's the first time a french couple is 3 times European champions.

In the end, I think both S/S and P/C are - at this moment of the season - in a ramp-up phase. Thinking of the last 2 seasons, expect Gaby and Guillaume be at their best for Worlds. As for Maia and Alex, I have the same feeling, they demonstrated last season their ability to be at their top level on point, meaning at Worlds.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
That (Free Skate) was the best that I've ever seen from Shibutanis so far. Congrats! Superb quality, stable, effortless, light & graceful. Deserved Silver medal.

Still not fully digging music and choreography (yet works for them I can't say no) but that was helluva impressive in skating / dancing aspect. I admit that I was among those who did not see much potential for them to succeed again as legitimate contenders few years ago and did not care for them in the past but I was proved wrong again, they're getting better and better to my surprise. Even stronger than in last season. P/C can't feel safe anymore. Neither V/M if they make mistakes, but judges held them up little bit. I also have to add that Maia looks gorgeous in hair let down!

Both V/M and Shibs scores were quite inflated (especially FS from V/M - they were worse than Shibs in that segment imo) but I agree with overall (total) standings. I also concur with those saying that Tessa & Scott were not at their best but did enough to keep their win.

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
:rock: Let's here it for the slacker boy! Good thing he had his big sister, the princess-balerina to keep him in line. :laugh:

In real life, Charlie can be as serious-minded as the next surfer dude. But oh well.

I did specify that it was their packaging, not necessarily related to his actual person. I was answering a post that specifically talked about his hair. Their hair styles certainly contributed to the mis-match impression.