2017 Four Continents Men SP | Page 107 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Men SP

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Kevin has been around for a very long time and has never broken into the top. He is turning 27 and no true progress

I think you've forgotten the fact that Kevin Reynolds won Four Continents in 2013. He beat Yuzuru Hanyu, to boot.

Kevin's also won an Olympic silver medal in the team event. He's had break out moments and competitions. Injuries have made it hard to stick around though.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
It looks a bit bad for Chan this moment and his podium finish would need for some skaters to have a melt-down in the freeskate... Does Chan finally start understanding the need for an excellent jump coach???

About Brown, I have thought that his "quad" and "triple" axel always need a close inspection to get the points right, but it seems that the lutz needs to be added to that list. I have no doubts that he will bounce back in the freeskate. To me his programs though look like a continuous series of beautiful poises, which actually have nothing to do with music playing.

I really enjoyed the short programs of Hanyu, Chen, Chan, Han, Uno and Jin!!!

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It looks a bit bad for Chan this moment and his podium finish would need for some skaters to have a melt-down in the freeskate... Does Chan finally start understanding the need for an excellent jump coach???

About Brown, I have thought that his "quad" and "triple" axel always need a close inspection to get the points right, but it seems that the lutz needs to be added to that list. I have no doubts that he will bounce back in the freeskate. To me his programs though look like a continuous series of beautiful poises, which actually have nothing to do with music playing.

I really enjoyed the short programs of Hanyu, Chen, Chan, Han, Uno and Jin!!!

funny how you say chan needs a jump coach as he has just learned to do fantastic big 3A and included a brand new quad this season.... he's landed 2 quad sals already, in what 3 or 4 attempts? that's pretty good imho

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
funny how you say chan needs a jump coach as he has just learned to do fantastic big 3A and included a brand new quad this season.... he's landed 2 quad sals already, in what 3 or 4 attempts? that's pretty good imho

Yes, but Chan still lost 5,40 points in basic value because of -GOE with 4 T and triple lutz-triple toe, which means he lost even more points..., and that just in sp.

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Perhaps some of you remember this post of mine from the Canadian nationals men's SP event:

About a months time has passed since she's last mentioned Yuzuru, so I thought she was cured and her deportation was vetoed.

THEN. This morning I was watching the videos of the men's event, and this conversation happened:

"Oh my gosh mom, look! Its that guy with the purple suit who gets all the Pooh stuffies thrown at him! I love this song, can you download it so we can listen to it in the car? He's SO good at skating! What do you mean he botched his jump, it was amazing!!!"

OUT! OUT OF HERE I SAY!!! :laugh2: :rofl:

So I spent the day listening to Let's Go Crazy on auto loop.

Disclaimer: I may be Chanadian, but I don't actually hate Yuzuru.

I'm ready to adopt her :biggrin: *prepares 2h Yuzu Youtube List & several Poohs* ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yes, but Chan still lost 5,40 points in basic value because of -GOE with 4 T and triple lutz-triple toe, which means he lost even more points..., and that just in sp.

how often does chan fall on his 4t? very rarely... freak accident... not a jump coach issue.

Rissa

Record Breaker

That's really splitting hairs. Yuzuru has just popped a 4S which is one of his money jumps and nobody's suggesting he should get a new jump coach. Boyang lost some major points on his 4Lz combo which is his show piece, should he change the coach? Patrick's just as incosistent as he's always been, I doubt a different coach would change things. He IS progessing though.

Is Chan rhyming with man? Not to doubt your poetry skills, Mathman. In Germany they always say Patrick ChAn with an A like in ShAmpoo, maybe? And Chen is the one who would rhyme with Man.

If you say 'man' like Rastafarians, 'MARN', you can get it to rhyme with Chan. :rofl:

How very interesting! It never occurred to me that Patrick Chan (a Canadian) and Nathan Chen (and American) would pronounce their names any differently than to rhyme with man and men, respectively.

In Chinese, this is the same name, right? I know a person (an American from Taiwan) whose name is Chorn.

I think that Grant Hochstein pronounces his name "Hawk-steen." :)

Maybe I'd better stick with "Mariah bell; she skates well."(Although I never did find out why "they call the wind Mariah," or for that matter, "who it is who calls the wind Mariah"?)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Hawksteen is actually very funny to a german, because that name is a german name meaning 'high stone' and is definitely pronounced differently in german.

Chan and Chen is the same name? I always thought that Chinese is a language where the difference in pronounciation changes everything.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Hawksteen is actually very funny to a german, because that name is a german name meaning 'high stone' and is definitely pronounced differently in german.

Chan and Chen is the same name? I always thought that Chinese is a language where the difference in pronounciation changes everything.

You're not wrong, but in this case, it's the same character pronounced differently in two different dialects of Chinese.

In fact, former US ladies' champion Tiffany Chin also has the same last name, pronounced differently in yet another dialect of Chinese :laugh:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
You're not wrong, but in this case, it's the same character pronounced differently in two different dialects of Chinese.

In fact, former US ladies' champion Tiffany Chin also has the same last name, pronounced differently in yet another dialect of Chinese :laugh:

Wow, that's fascinating. A, E and I....all the same. Now we need only need a Chun and Chon.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
How very interesting! It never occurred to me that Patrick Chan (a Canadian) and Nathan Chen (and American) would pronounce their names any differently than to rhyme with man and men, respectively. ...

I think that Grant Hochstein pronounces his name "Hawk-steen." :) ...

Patrick himself does pronounce Chan to rhyme with "man" ... so your verse is on point :yes:.

ETA:
And Nathan himself does pronounce Chen to rhyme with "men."

Grant pronounces the second syllable of his last name to rhyme with "sine" and "cosine." (Hope you like those allusions, MM ;).)

Grant and Caroline both say their names in this video:

But of course I agree that plenty of other Americans pronounce their own last names ending with "-stein" as "-steen."

Congratulations to Nathan, Shoma, and Yuzuru.

Good luck to all the men in the FS :yay:.

Last edited:

da96103

Record Breaker
How very interesting! It never occurred to me that Patrick Chan (a Canadian) and Nathan Chen (and American) would pronounce their names any differently than to rhyme with man and men, respectively.

In Chinese, this is the same name, right? I know a person (an American from Taiwan) whose name is Chorn.

I think that Grant Hochstein pronounces his name "Hawk-steen." :)

Maybe I'd better stick with "Mariah bell; she skates well."(Although I never did find out why "they call the wind Mariah," or for that matter, "who it is who calls the wind Mariah"?)

If the Chen in Nathan Chen is rhyme with men, then

A great jumper,
This Nathan Chen,
Soft as a butter,
He tirelessly churn.

bekalc

Record Breaker
sorry but you are not understanding my point... i am not even talking about right now... i am certainly not dismissing hanyu who is extremely good at everything out there.
I am talking about the future of the sport... Hanyu's dominance, who would have thought, is even threatened right now..

Please read my post again with a clear mind, or not ;)

But I don't think Nathan is only quads. He has good skating skills. He is working with Zoueva and I think they will improve even more. Its not fair to say the kid is just jumps. I get the feeling he will improve in other areas. Is he more developed in the jumps sure. And frankly I am fine with that, because I think if you don't have the jumps at some point you might not get them ever. But he's not just only jumps.....

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For a while there, I was worried, the Jason bashing was gone...

But with it back, we may get to 150 pages. Because you know...

He'll neverrrrrr get a reliable quad.
Allllll these youngsters have quads.
Medals medals medals medals.
Quads quads quads quads.
Sport sport sport sport.
And you know what, he's not even artistic? Nope, not Jason:noshake:

I will now call this "argument one". You may dispense with speech. Simply say "argument one". Although that doesn't help the thread count,:biggrin:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
But I don't think Nathan is only quads. He has good skating skills. He is working with Zoueva and I think they will improve even more. Its not fair to say the kid is just jumps. I get the feeling he will improve in other areas. Is he more developed in the jumps sure. And frankly I am fine with that, because I think if you don't have the jumps at some point you might not get them ever. But he's not just only jumps.....

did i say that? i actually like nathan the best among the 3 young quadsters... again you are not reading what I write but you are trying to read things in between the lines that i am not talking about ;)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Patrick himself does pronounce Chan to rhyme with "man" ... so your verse is on point :yes:.

ETA:
And Nathan himself does pronounce Chen to rhyme with "men."

Grant pronounces the second syllable of his last name to rhyme with "sine" and "cosine." (Hope you like those allusions, MM ;).)

Grant and Caroline both say their names in this video:

But of course I agree that plenty of other Americans pronounce their own last names ending with "-stein" as "-steen."

Congratulations to Nathan, Shoma, and Yuzuru.

Good luck to all the men in the FS :yay:.

That was interesting. You're right that Grant definitely says what sounds like "Steen" It was also interesting that Caroline says what sounds to me like "Zang" instead of "Shang" which is how I have always pronounced it. That was cool. Thanks for posting.