2017 GP NHK Trophy Short Dance | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2017 GP NHK Trophy Short Dance

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Scott said he got too into it. Nothing about anyone else's score. He has a month to practice keeping calmer. They got their levels apart from the twizzles and that's the most important take away.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Wow S/K actually showed much quality here. I thought they were on some self-destructive downhill slope based on things I heard. They looked tense afterwards though.

I'm proud of them. They had a lot of naysayers after the Minsk disaster skate (and even before that), and they just laid down a personal best SD.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Scott said he got too into it. Nothing about anyone else's score. He has a month to practice keeping calmer. They got their levels apart from the twizzles and that's the most important take away.

thank You Mango:thank:, sorry for my rant, but all those voices dismissing them by default using 200 pts margin got the worst of me and my thinking at 6 am watching...

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
thank You Mango:thank:, sorry for my rant, but all those voices dismissing them by default using 200 pts margin got the worst of me and my thinking at 6 am watching...

No worries! I like your rants. :) Here's the interview for anyone else who wants to hear them: https://twitter.com/mkm_the_future/status/929216243835461634

Kinda feel bad no one translated for them but they're so used to talking about things they got the gist of what they should say.

V/M fans should be zen and hope Scott feels that zen-ness in the twizzles too. :biggrin:

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
So to break the scores, a few questions :

How did S/K get that much on twizzles when Victoria almost flew away on the first set ? And why are their PCS so close to H/D when they obvisously have the speed but are nowhere near the clean execution or event interpretation of the performance ? And all those positive GOEs on wonky elements...

I also think H/D and C/L are too close. C/L have great twizzle (among the best actually) but H/D did it better (so much speed) and got the same amount of points. And even them going after H/D you could notice they were skating very cautious, definitely not as much speed as the previous team.

V/M got positive GOEs for the twizzles (+2 and +3 for some) which should have not been the case. They're still very much above the field, so it definitely won't affect the rankings. (But not that in future competitions please).

In terms of execution I would have the Danes above S/K, however, you can't deny S/K speed it's something. But they're not clean enough.

There is still a bit going on with reputation scoring, definitely for SinKats. I thought judges were over it with them. It was obviously much better than anything they've done in the last months but still.

Astrid56

Final Flight
Chock/Bates won't have to worry about tiebreaker score at all if they place 2nd at their next event. As long as they beat Weaver/Poje in France then they will be locked in for GPF.
Right, as long as they take the silver but we are talking W/P and it's France and top Canadian teams were often scored better there. If H/D gets silver in this NHK event, they're guaranteed a spot. Their 3rd place score in Skate Canada was 189.43. if the scoring trend in NHK continues, C/L placing 3rd will likely get a better score than a 3rd place finisher C/B in France as, historically, scores in this French event are comparatively lower than the other events. I don't think C/L will place lower than 2nd in Skate America. Since it's the 3rd place scores that will serve as the tie-breaker, B/S will definitely not make it ... and with C/B coming in 3rd in France will be in trouble as I think a 3rd place score in France will not be favorably comparable to C/L's NHK 3rd place score.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Yeee SK didn't fall or massively messed up:hap10:
No guarantee for tomorrow tho so I'm prepared for the worst

Good favourable panel for them
Need to take advantage finally (ugh after Minsk I was ready to bang my head against the wall:palmf::rofl2:)

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Awesome that Coomes/Buckland did a tribute to Torvill/Dean's 94 rumba. They even incorporated the characteristic steps :)

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Awesome that Coomes/Buckland did a tribute to Torvill/Dean's 94 rumba. They even incorporated the characteristic steps :)
They did not incorporate those steps by themselves, and it's more like Dean did a tribute to himself and Torvill with this program :). He (Dean) choreographed Coomes/Buckland's SD.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
They did not incorporate those steps by themselves, and it's more like Dean did a tribute to himself and Torvill with this program :). He (Dean) choreographed Coomes/Buckland's SD.

Oh, right, makes sense :D Anyway, great idea to go to him.

Rossig

On the Ice
They did not incorporate those steps by themselves, and it's more like Dean did a tribute to himself and Torvill with this program . He (Dean) choreographed Coomes/Buckland's SD.

Not sure, it was such a good idea. I love the choreography, but C/B, even though a lovely couple, will never be Torvill and Dean.

alain06fr

On the Ice
I counted it three, and the commentator on my stream also counted three out loud and said it shouldn't affect the level.

If you watch it closely, you can see Tessa still rotating after Scott's stumble. Anyone can see this on the replay. Scott never completed the 3rd rotation.
It's not the first time Scott struggles with the twizzles.

Just my personal impression but I feel like his first twizzle is usually fine but, for whatever reasons, he hardly controls the rotation speed and then the balance point when moving on to the 2nd and the 3rd twizzle. I don't know why but, to me, he's rotating faster in the 2nd and 3rd, just like he would think he's late compared to Tessa. That was already the case in Helsinki at the FD (was quite obvious for people, like me, seating close to the rink but on the opposite side of the judges).

On the other hand, Tessa's twizzles are perfect.

Purv

Match Penalty
+2 and +3 for twizless of v/m?
But then they have would scored below 80 ,and then it would be the fault of Molina , because he is french(?) or he must liking french..
Hard die of fans from some time they ve been talking about having him as technical controller and even canadian being perfect and magnificient wont stop him from undescoring them. If canadians dont get WR becasue of him,obviosuly . They knew that all from the beggining.

bramweld

Record Breaker
The top three to me looked a bit cautious, Anna looked as though she was being electrocuted. I think the scores of S/K for that skate set the others slightly on edge, maybe brought back memories of Helsinki 2017 where the judges kept on holding up B/S. S/K had three obvious errors, the twizzles, the end of the StNtStSq and their final lift but the judges still gave them a TES of 37 and change. To their credit they have great speed, good lines and Katsalapov's skating skills. So whenever you have a GP with a top Russian team you have to bring the speed and have ice in your veins the way the Shibs did when they went to COR. My respect for the Shibs has just increased immensely after watching this competition. Also the Danes (FB/S) and the English (Co/Bu) were too cautious and slow, so in the end the judges placements seem about right to me. For me great ID deftly combines speed, confidence, and great execution sometimes great speed will trump those who don't bring their A game.