2017 GP Skate Canada Ladies SP | Page 70 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate Canada Ladies SP

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Agreed. The amount of pressure on the Japanese skaters is daunting. Just those few minutes here and there to prove themselves.
Only those GPs and the Nationals and that's it.

Maybe Rika did so well, because she has been out of the conversation for a big part and there was less of that pressure on her.

That's exactly what happened. There's something to be said about an underdog, who has previously done awesome. I feel like Mura might surprise us too.

Tulipstar

Medalist
Kaetlyn did absolutely amazing.
I like the dress so don't mind she's keeping it.

This is going to be an exciting year. I'm glad that there are a few people who are possible OGM, as this keeps things interesting.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Actually, I hate Russian ESP commentary. TAT would never say something stupid like that.

No, but she will harp on skaters' weight and she thinks Javi has a Russian wife. I like her and everything but she is not without her flaws.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Well... there is this.... https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/27/sports/olympics/russia-doping.html

And to reiterate... Medvedeva fell and got a 10. Osmond went absolutely clean on home ice and didn't even clear 90% (36+) PCS.

A number of athletes positive is different that manipulate the judging of a competition, and so what? Carol Lane has the rights to act like a random hater on youtube because of that?

It's up to the judges to give her these 10s, she would have received a big score even without those.

Carol didn't call Russia cheaters out loud either. She said, weeell, that's Russia (referring to the scoring). I see no difference in her comments and that of the Russian commentators, who apparently said: 'In another country than Canada Kaetlyn would have gotten 74'. given the translation provided to us here is correct.

She said other things which might implied that, it's not just one "it's Russia" the all commentary was like "here's the gifts for the russians, the shibs will win this? we'll see in Russia,..." and so many other salty arrogant comments.

But we are going off topic again.

randomfan

Record Breaker
A lot of drama went on in this segment...:popcorn:

1. Kaetlyn Osmond: As much as I loved this program last season, I wanted to see something new this time. Nevertheless, Kaetlyn is an engaging performer and she did very well in a field where almost everyone else had major mistakes, so she definitely shined here. I’d have her score a couple of points lower, but it’s a very well-deserved lead.
2. Anna Pogorilaya: As soon as I saw her score on the results page (couldn’t watch this live), I breathed a sigh a relief. She was struggling so much in practice, but look at how well she did here! Of course, we still have the FS to go, but a clean SP is a good start. She didn’t have that much fire either, but I think that’s more due to her focusing on not falling, so the presentation will surely improve once she gains more confidence.
3. Maria Sotskova: So will Maria be keeping last year’s dress permanently for this program? I don’t think it really fits the theme. Anyway, solid performance from her as usual, but I think that her program is missing a sparkle. I ended up loving her boring (and unpopular) FS from last season because there were beautiful moments throughout, but this SP feels a bit empty.
4. Courtney Hicks: Like Anna, I’m relieved to see Courtney do well. I loved Wakaba’s SP to the same music last season though, so I can’t help but think of comparisons. Courtney has improved her presentation and her jumps look a little more stable now. I hope she can carry this momentum into the FS!
5. Karen Chen: She was a little overscored, but I did enjoy her performance. Like Maria, it seems that she’s keeping her last year’s dress. I hope that she can have a stronger performance tomorrow.
6. Rika Hongo: Why do the judges always underscore her? It’s really frustrating to see that they always inflate certain skaters’ scores but they also always lowball certain others too. Sure the TES may be fair considering her questionable jumps, but Rika sold that program well and the PCS should’ve been at least 31. Scoring aside, it’s great to see that Rika is not backing down yet.
7. Ashley Wagner: Exactly like Kaetlyn - she brought back a program that I absolutely loved, but I’m wanting to see something new. Seeing how she had jump problems today, I have a feeling that her TES problems will continue throughout the season again. Loved the exciting presentation as usual, but she needs to maintain her jumps.
8. Laurine Lecavelier: Very lovely program, and I thought her PCS should’ve been higher. She had jump issues like the others but made me forget about them because of how beautifully she performed that program. I’m excited to see how it will grow as the season goes.
10. Marin Honda: I want to say that I’m shocked...but I’m really not. As soon as I heard that she’d be doing a 3Lz-3T, I had a bad feeling. This new program is gorgeous (too much arms in the step sequence though), and I hope that we’ll be able to see a clean version of it next week at COC. Right now, she’s scheduled to skate first tomorrow, so I hope she can go all out.

Haven’t watched Kailani, Alaine, or Larkyn yet.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
A number of athletes positive is different that manipulate the judging of a competition, and so what? Carol Lane has the rights to act like a random hater on youtube because of that?

It's up to the judges to give her these 10s, she would have received a big score even without those.

She said other things which might implied that, it's not just one "it's Russia" the all commentary was like "here's the gifts from the russians, the shibs will win this? we'll see in Russia,..." and so many other salty arrogant comments.

But we are going off topic again.

Okay... then exhibit B? http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2014/owg14_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf

And re: the Shibs, while Carol Lane actually called it out, EVERYONE was thinking that the Russians would potentially beat them because it was in Russia and because the Russians notoriously known for inflating their own skaters. If B/S hadn't had the dance spin error, who knows. Maybe it was unsportsmanly for her to be so brash about Russian scoring, but that is actually backed up by evidence and she's calling a spade a spade.

And of course, Stepanova/Bukin were given a huge home boost. Though, I'm kinda okay with that because I think they've been underscored for a while, but that was such a huge bump up for them, and of course Gilles/Poirier were buried. Poor G/P. I suppose Weaver/Poje didn't give them the memo to avoid Russia at all costs before an Olympics.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
A Canadian lady proved her ability today and others are, confused :scratch2:...'This" was never to be repeated, so ...what happened? Fluke, wasn't it?

I think it's more like, a Canadian lady proved her ability, and the judges scored her accordingly in spite of them mockingly saying she'd be overscored on home ice (after the home scoring farces at Rostelecom Cup, no less). Not to mention, her compatriots had bad skates and were accordingly nailed for it and are sitting behind everyone else.

So, everything happened as it should. So they can't get mad at anyone or anything, and hence the confusion.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
For me this competition was somewhat underwhelming in comparison with CoR. Many skaters were nervous. Too many mistakes.

The scoring and the placements are absolutely adequate (Australian lady aside who was IMO underscored). In this respect no laments "It's Canada" so far.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
And of course, Stepanova/Bukin were given a huge home boost. Though, I'm kinda okay with that because I think they've been underscored for a while, but that was such a huge bump up for them, and of course Gilles/Poirier were buried. Poor G/P. I suppose Weaver/Poje didn't give them the memo to avoid Russia at all costs before an Olympics.

exhibit C and D Olympics 2002 and 2010 where Irina and Evgeny were robbed as well, as we said in the Carol Lane thread.

The second part is nonsense to me.

Their FD was much much better than B/S (and even your darling Carol Lane said that!), as much as they were happy with the PB, they didn't realize that they were clearly robbed.

I'd like to stop with all this going off topic but everytime we see all these bold stamements i just can't...

bobbob

Medalist
Well, it's Canada...

But seriously the overscoring of Canadians here and in dance is laughable. Here, not only are Canadians overscored but skaters from other countries very underscored. Anna and Katelyn should have around the same PCS score.

Jedi

On the Ice
No homecooking at Skate Canada in ladies short program. Wow a bit surprise because Osmond could have scored over 78 with that program. Not thrilled about the dress; I think it should have been changed but she deserved to be in first. Nice to see Anna skate though I don't have much faith in her right now. Coming back from injury and a disastrous world skate it is clear she is not 100percent and may not be this year.She looked like she was not overly confident and that effects pcs and quality of tes. and the downgrade on spins and such shows the back is still not great.

I know there is a huge group of fans for the Australian skater and she is fine but really not much to jump up and down about with no disrespect to her fans. A good skater and wish her well but meh to me.

I am not sure if there is much homecooking or bias scoring - maybe a bit high on the American ladies but really pretty good judging.

Jedi

On the Ice
I have a question why is it some skaters have such love - Yuna, Mao, Hanyu, Jason, Sui and Han, Satoko, Mai, Carolina, and y et almost hatred to Chan, Duhamel and Radford, Osmond (Canadians oddly) Focussing her on the ladies I thought Kaetlyn looked pretty good PC and style wise. And she has a great command on the ice.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I have a question why is it some skaters have such love - Yuna, Mao, Hanyu, Jason, Sui and Han, Satoko, Mai, Carolina, and y et almost hatred to Chan, Duhamel and Radford, Osmond (Canadians oddly) Focussing her on the ladies I thought Kaetlyn looked pretty good PC and style wise. And she has a great command on the ice.

I think she was great

My only complain here is that her Lutz was "e" or at least "!" and they didn't gave her anything but instead five +3.

So she totally deserves the lead (starting where she left last season really), the gap between her and Pogo-Maria should have been closer though. There is no 10 points difference on the ice between Maria and Kaetlyn, in my opinion.

All the top three ladies were great even artistically, i'd say Anna was clearly the most nervous one.