2017 GP Skate Canada Short Dance | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate Canada Short Dance

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I agree. I think it is game over and the French will win. V and M have not done well in the fs against the French and relied upon a good lead in the SD. That no longer is there. So the French are the faves. THe rules do not mark down the fact PC use the same kind of freeskate. I like V and M but I have a strong feeling the French have the OGM.

Um.. the french lost the fd to V/M at the GPF and at NHK to V/M and lost the worlds FD. That would make it 2-1 in V/M favour.
I do think the French can win the Olympics. I also think they will need to do better in the SD than they did at worlds last year.

rain

Record Breaker
Now THAT was a short dance competition.

Tessa and Scott, just WooOOOooW, you schooled the entire class!!
Most improved, Weaver and Poje. Apparently, they took the criticisms seriously.
Hubbell and Donahue, pure class. Weaver and POje will have to earn it tomorrow, these guys smell blood. YaaSSS!!:hap93:

Really liked Hawayek and Baker as well, pity about the twizzle mistake. Hoping all couples ake the dancing do the talking tomorrow. Peace out!!

After the Rostelecom free dances I was really blah on dance this year, but this SD competition was on fire.
V/M were the class of the field. Their experience and history really gives them a huge edge on the pattern. Nobody else was even in the same galaxy as they were. The wide step, the precision, the sharpness — it was perfection. Everyone else in comparison looked tentative and small.

I could not agree more about Weaver and Poje. Huge difference between this and Autumn Classic, where I thought they might be done. Better costumes (by a mile) and way better feel for the music (which I loved).

I wish Kaitlin would be more confident and courageous in this SD...She just seems too tentative at places

I thought Weaver still looked like she needed to loosen up through the shoulders to 100 per cent sell the concept/style. But this time out, I think that will come. And did I hear Rod Black right during the men's short that they've gone back to Je Suis Malade for the FD?

Looks like the judges are still onside with Hubbell/Donahue (who I'm convinced would have won the bronze at last year's worlds had they not fallen — I think they wind was blowing decidedly in that direction, and of course they earned it). I disliked the vocals in one part, but overall another good dance.

Bcash

Final Flight
Sigh. Underscoring for H/D continues. Certainly think their twizzles were best of the field, and their program gorgeously latin, with such confident and smooth execution. The B.Euro commentators were quite surprised by how low they scored too.

W/P a nice looking couple but just doesn't have that swing and speed and buttery edge quality in their skating. Their Je suis Malade was the last FD from them I enjoyed, it could easily get a big score for them if they let the emotions flow.

V/M super competitors. But intense faces and flashy upper body movements could give the impression that they are "miles" ahead, and certainly the judges are willing to continue powdering up their scores. Their twizzles looked quite slow today.

rain

Record Breaker

Barb

Record Breaker
Sigh. Underscoring for H/D continues. Certainly think their twizzles were best of the field, and their program gorgeously latin, with such confident and smooth execution. The B.Euro commentators were quite surprised by how low they scored too.

I know those are different competitions, but H/D got higher score in their twizzles than Maia and Alex in Rostelecom. Maia and Alex were underscored in the twizzles or H/D and V/M were overscored in twizzles.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yup.. it's 535am Canada time... where I live... ... I usually stay up that late to watch live skating from Asia but oh well... i was working (you know.. some of us manage to fit in figure skating despite having 3 jobs LOL) this afternoon and missed all of the ladies and dance....

thankfully... I have PVR and recorded all of it...

here are my scattered thoughts because... at this late hour.... i am not planning nor hoping I will deliver a thorough analysis...

1) virtue and moir... they are already so much tighter than at aci.. to me this is the perfect rendition on ice of ballroom latine dancing with added glide which is impossible on the dance floor... they were so sharp, on every beat... i was expecting a blast... i got completely flabbergasted .. yea cheesy word... i am just floored... they were dead on and i felt the rhythm in all of the bones of my body

2) weapo.. let me just start by awarding best costume of the event.. wow... however, hot costumes don't mean anything if you don't deliver... well... they did.. again... it shows that those two want to make their mark this year. they are working very hard and improving quickly. Andrew just gives me so much sensuality... it may not be latin hips.. but it's hips anyways... it was a lot of fun and i loved how the program builds up throughout the dance. That's a very important feature IMHO and they nailed it.

3) HD : another great dance. another build up at the end but it was too late for me.. and too short.. i wished the intensity had come in a bit earlier. Zach shows off Madi very well.. i like their costumes. I think they will create a nightmare to the Shibs at US Nationals..

other teams quick mentions :

Spanish : adria is just so into this... best hips of the night ;) nice outfits ;)

Russians : he is so much better than her... how long will they stay togehter

Soucisse-Firus : very nice match, they are a young new team but they are improving at every event... i think they will be part of the national team for a while

HB : sorry about the twizzles...

looking forward to tomorrow.. i mean in a few hours , FD

sowcow

On the Ice
2) weapo.. let me just start by awarding best costume of the event.. wow... however, hot costumes don't mean anything if you don't deliver... well... they did.. again... it shows that those two want to make their mark this year. they are working very hard and improving quickly. Andrew just gives me so much sensuality... it may not be latin hips.. but it's hips anyways... it was a lot of fun and i loved how the program builds up throughout the dance. That's a very important feature IMHO and they nailed it.

I think this statement is true emotionally, figuratively, and literally (in terms of the BPM's of successive tracks in the program).

• If I recall correctly, each successive piece of music had a notable increase in the BPM ... from :clap: to :clapper:to :hap85:

Purv

Match Penalty
The fact is, that Canada needs this gold medal in dance desperately. Osmond is silver , chan and d/r will not win gold with others being clean. V/M is the only chance, the realchance to get gold.
I dont know why they got so big score, cos Prince was better. But maybe because they have the same "feel"

Barb

Record Breaker
The fact is, that Canada needs this gold medal in dance desperately. Osmond is silver , chan and d/r will not win gold with others being clean. V/M is the only chance, the realchance to get gold.
I dont know why they got so big score, cos Prince was better. But maybe because they have the same "feel"

I am pretty sure that Didier is desperate for the Gold medal for France too.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I know those are different competitions, but H/D got higher score in their twizzles than Maia and Alex in Rostelecom. Maia and Alex were underscored in the twizzles or H/D and V/M were overscored in twizzles.

I'd agree here though. That's why you can't compare scores from one GP to another. Here, H/D had the best twizzles. Honestly, V/M scared me a bit in a twizzle yesterday (I kind of always tense when they go for it), but they clearly could do them better, it could be faster (on the 2nd and 3rd set) and less tensed. In fact H/D and V/M had the same points (8.14) for the twizzles.
On the same competition I'd have Shibs, close to H/D, and then V/M. (for twizzles done in CoR and in SC).

Actually H/D lost points on the No-touch (Zach almost made a mistake).

bramweld

Record Breaker
TBH, Alla and Pavel skated the best they ever had the SD yesterday. Their real problem is ridiculous coaching and packaging. If these two were sent to Marina Zueva or Gadbois, they'd be impressive. But Russia has lost its mojo with ID. The only glimmer of hope I've seen in a while is Arina and Maxim from Gorshkov's group. Let's see if he can build on that.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

It's an opinion, that's fine, but neither commentator is an Ice Dance expert. Chris Howarth skated Singles decades ago, and has since been a Coach. Catherine Whitaker is a Tennis broadcaster. I saw on her Twitter she said FS is her first love. Good to know she's a fan and not just doing a paid job of work. But don't regard any comments they make as worth anymore than your own opinions. Plus they're not even in the arena, but watching in a studio at the Eurosport headquarters in Paris.

viennaskater

Medalist
Catherine Whitaker is a Tennis broadcaster. I saw on her Twitter she said FS is her first love.

She has absolutely no flair for commentating whatsoever. She should not be there. I've been thankful to be able to watch the free programmes recorded on Eurosport Player the next day WITHOUT any commentary at all, rather than listen to her.

Happily, we had Simon Reed and Chris Howarth commentating on Saturday for the Ladies LP and Free Dance, which improved things enormously.

Edit: I've just read that she's going to be on-site reporter at Pyeongchang for Eurosport. Gawd help us :palmf::gaah:

Rcarl

Spectator
That's not necessarily true. There have been some years when Scott and Tessa got their lowest scores, and in the SD, at SCI.

Rcarl

Spectator
It's an expectedly SC score, but at the same time, they did seem 18-20 points better than the teams before them... :p

That's not necessarily true. There have been some years when Scott and Tessa got their lowest scores, and in the SD, at SCI.