2017 JGP Latvia Ladies SP | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2017 JGP Latvia Ladies SP

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The protocols are awfully slow to come up. I wonder whether someone appealed a call?

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
The protocols are awfully slow to come up. I wonder whether someone appealed a call?

Yeah I noticed they weren't up yet. Strange. (Or maybe just the website being dumb?)

I did try manually changing the URL to see if it was just an issue with the link changing on the site, but no dice.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
They also haven't listed the sp ranks under the results page, nor have they updated starting orders for tomorrow....

Hmm

Update: same thing for pairs

Last edited:

thoakun

Final Flight
Never heard of Emmy Ma but I fell in love with her skating instantly. There's something so regal about her movement, expression, and it's impressive that she could make best out of every note from a forgettable rendition. Even her landing posture is exquisite. New skater to follow :love:

humbaba

Final Flight

ejnsofi

Final Flight
Protocols are up.

Rika got lvl 4 on her StSq :love: As I thought her 2T in combination was invalid

gold12345

Medalist
I have noticed many young ladies slow down in the second year of junior. Like they could have done well the first junior year then mess the next. Will that happen to Kihira?
Maybe moving up to senior asap will be better. However for the mean time, some of them can not move up so they will have to adapt.

She might be feeling more pressure now, as expectations rise and she is one of the top Juniors. I imagine Kihira will rebound just fine in the free skate.

MalAssada

Medalist
I imagine some girls crash at ages 14 and 16 for two reasons:
- They are growing, and we all know how cruel puberty can be.
- There seems to be great pressure for them to have a great debut at both juniors and seniors. After these are done, they may relax or the impact of serious training the previous season create trouble.

Ender

Match Penalty
I imagine some girls crash at ages 14 and 16 for two reasons:
- They are growing, and we all know how cruel puberty can be.
- There seems to be great pressure for them to have a great debut at both juniors and seniors. After these are done, they may relax or the impact of serious training the previous season create trouble.
Maybe both... it's such a pity though. I hope to see all these girls land their jumps.

matcha

Medalist
Rika, Emmy, Hyun Soo and Alisa in particular were lovely here. Does Emmy not have her 3-3 yet? Shame about the mistakes in Rika's jumps but I really love her program. Alisa was scored rather conservatively on PCS in comparison to some of the other girls, a pity.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here's a nice interview with Emmy done this past June. It's must reading for Emmy fans.

https://adivinesport.com/2017/06/21/interview-with-emmy-ma-june-2017/

Ah, although she now lives outside Boston, I just learned Emmy is from the north shore area of Long Island where I grew up :) )I also posted in Alisa F's thread that my maternal ancestors are from Rostov on Don, in Russia, so I feel a connection to these 2 skaters.)

I've never seen her before, but heard the name. She's definitely got the whole package - jumps, spins, performance ability and charisma. Add in a triple triple and she'll challenge Eteri's girls for a medal.

Thanks for posting the interview!

whatif

Medalist
First of all, except for the Russians, this was awful competition. Secondly, if there was ever more apparent and blatant favouritism, it was ever more so evident here. I think the panel already decided the winner before it even started but Kihira had to spoil it for them. She should have no business being in top 6 or even top 10 with that skate.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
First of all, except for the Russians, this was awful competition. Secondly, if there was ever more apparent and blatant favouritism, it was ever more so evident here. I think the panel already decided the winner before it even started but Kihira had to spoil it for them. She should have no business being in top 6 or even top 10 with that skate.

I guess it's all about perspective, whatif. As from here, I watched two 14 year old skaters today (one Russian and another a Canadian) that I thought were fantastic! Beauty as they say, is in the eyes of the beholder. ;)

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Rika Kihara had a fall in the last part of the program but the two Russian skaters had clean short programs. I think that made a difference. Kihara had a shaky start and she looked less confident compared to the last season. I'm happy for Alisa Fedichikina who made a strong comeback from the leg injury but Daria Panankova outscored her by few points in the second group.

Andriellyson

Rinkside
Rika got stronger for this season, I believe so, but clearly she was nervous. By the way, don't you all think her 3Lz was under-rotated?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kitty's Piano Fantasy was really fascinating. Sort of an elegant, classy, and very understated type of program that just sort of pulled me into it. A very good performance and I'm glad she wasn't super pumped or showing a lot of emotion after the SP. She has such a great opportunity here to have a strong finish but let's hold off on any celebrations until she's finished the FS. #StayHungry

Daria....no clue what to make of this. My first reaction is that her jumps don't really match her skating. Is that a thing? The first thing I learned in the game of chess was "Queen's dress matches her shoes". Maybe it's the music and maybe it's the jumps having a completely different feel and intensity as her choreography but I'm just completely baffled by this program. I didn't like or not like it....I just can't process it.

I only had a chance to watch the top two placements. I'm hoping to see more soon but TBH...I didn't even realize there was skating today until I woke up and saw the posts here on GS. :laugh:

Tulipstar

Medalist
Finally caught up with the competition:biggrin:

A shame about Rika's mistakes. I hope she'll rebound for an amazing skate tomorrow. I also liked Hyun Soo Lee. Daria's jumps were good, but I missed the passion of the other Russian ladies that skated in the JGP so far. Let's see what she brings tomorrow.