2017 Jr Worlds Ladies SP | Page 52 | Golden Skate

2017 Jr Worlds Ladies SP

skatenewbie

Medalist
i want to ask why no girls had Lutz and Flip as their jump in SP? Is junior had some regulation like no quads for junior men SP?

Marius

Art on Ice
Final Flight
PCS not even 30???

:hopelessness:
Really, I think every PCS for Honda should be around the 8. SS are sublime, TR are smooth and beautiful, the performance today was incredible, choreography is beautiful and the interpretation is absolutely fantastic :love:

sallycinnamon

Medalist
i want to ask why no girls had Lutz and Flip as their jump in SP? Is junior had some regulation like no quads for junior men SP?

Rule no.611 says

The required element in the junior ladies SP is a

a) double axel
b) double or triple loop immediately preceded by connecting steps and/or by other comparable free skating movement +
c) jump combination consisting of two double jumps or one double and one triple jumps or two triple jumps.

Daniel1998

Final Flight
Marin Honda is on another PLANET in terms of PCS- in my opinion the difference between her and the rest of the juniors in presentation quality is far more than what the ISU judges give her credit for.

So happy to see Eunsoo do well- she got a bit held down by PCS in comparison to other skaters, unfortunately. She's the only other junior, besides perhaps Tsurskaya, who I really see as someone with that wow factor. Big jumps and tons of expression and presence on ice. Hopefully she skates a clean free tomorrow and gives herself a shot at the podium or a top 5 finish.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Yes they are from Kobe and train under the same coaching team.

I am very happy because the best technical coach Japan ever had is Tsuzuki sensei. Nagabuko and Mura's dad studied from him and that's it. Yamada team is very weak in technical , Hameda team is so so in technical but good at polishing and refinement, Tokyo is also so and so.. usually best schools of Japan are distributed historically in Osaka and Nagoya, so I am happy that this new school has appeared with outstanding skaters.

Hah, I never knew Nagakubo & granddaddy Mura studied from Tsuzuki. I always thought those 2 were the better technical coaches Japan had for their senior skaters now, and now I know why :biggrin:
Agreed about most Japanese coaches sadly not being the best in jumping technique. They know how to teach SS and PCS in general, but the jumping technique is really behind. So hopefully Mai & Kaori continue to deliver and we see more skaters from Team Kobe!

OT here, but given the discussion I wonder, does anybody know where baby Nubo got his jumps from?

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Hah, I never knew Nagakubo & granddaddy Mura studied from Tsuzuki. I always thought those 2 were the better technical coaches Japan had for their senior skaters now, and now I know why :biggrin:
Agreed about most Japanese coaches sadly not being the best in jumping technique. They know how to teach SS and PCS in general, but the jumping technique is really behind. So hopefully Mai & Kaori continue to deliver and we see more skaters from Team Kobe!

OT here, but given the discussion I wonder, does anybody know where baby Nubo got his jumps from?

He trained in Osaka with his mom Noriko, later he trained half season in Canada at Mariposa school with Lee Berkell Gabby Daleman's coach.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
It would be hilarious (and unfair) if it is 100% European judges panel again like they had 2 years in a row for Senior Ladies WC, or 80% European judges with the odd N.American / Asia judges thrown in for good measure.

Haaa~~ I impress myself sometimes... it was an ALL EUROPEAN Panel with 1 south African judge. ZERO N. American, Australian or Asia judges... dodgy or what :sarcasm:

http://static.isu.org/media/1093/2027-list-officials-fs-id-sys-2016-2017_updated-oct-6-rev.pdf

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Haaa~~ I impress myself sometimes... it was an ALL EUROPEAN Panel with 1 south African judge. ZERO N. American, Australian or Asia judges... dodgy or what :sarcasm:

http://static.isu.org/media/1093/2027-list-officials-fs-id-sys-2016-2017_updated-oct-6-rev.pdf

I don't see a point in your observation. Every country with figure skating federation should have equal chance to be represented in Judging Panel. There is just more European countries involved in figure skating than countries from every other continents combined...

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Polina NOOOOOO!

I just looked at the protocol and :cry::cry:.

Predictable Zagitova domination. I wouldn't mind so much if she had better posture. I prefer Marin.

Kaori and Alina are both being rewarded for consistency in their PCS. Neither should be so close to Marin (or Polina if she were clean, but oh well).

Why are Eun Soo's PCS so low?

Lackluster US ladies are in the top 10. So that's a victory, I guess.

Seriously though Polina :cry: :cry:

olayolay

On the Ice
:hopelessness:
Really, I think every PCS for Honda should be around the 8. SS are sublime, TR are smooth and beautiful, the performance today was incredible, choreography is beautiful and the interpretation is absolutely fantastic :love:

She should be way higher than 8, even if she is just skating junior lbr. She is far more refined than anyone in senior not named Mao Asada or Carolina Kostner.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Just watched Zagitova and I think her first place is deserved. Her tech skills are amazing and it's not like she is that far behind in PCS. But why oh why is she wearing the flesh colored tights over her boots? It just looks so ridiculous and it's honestly so distracting! I hated it when Evgenia did it, and it's so simple to not do it. It destroys so much...urgh.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I don't see a point in your observation. Every country with figure skating federation should have equal chance to be represented in Judging Panel. There is just more European countries involved in figure skating than countries from every other continents combined...

Indeed, but last few years in Ladies single they don't. They stands out as anomalies.

breadstal

Record Breaker
Polina's URs are honestly ridiculous :shocked: She deserved better PCS too, I love her program and even with fall, it was my second favorite performance of day. I know that judges get different view on jumps that us, viewers though but it's just shocking for me. Kaori was superb, her jumps were awesome but I don't agree with her PCS at least when comparing them to certain skaters. I feel that Yuna is underrated, I really like her; nice skating skills, nice jumps, nice presentation. I saw some people going for her Lutz but it looked just in for me. Marin was stunning :luv17: Her jumps, skating skills, performance, interpretation and step sequence were perfect :luv17: Shame that because of junior rank she is held back on PCS, she really should be ahead on them in this field.

breadstal

Record Breaker
Marin Honda is on another PLANET in terms of PCS- in my opinion the difference between her and the rest of the juniors in presentation quality is far more than what the ISU judges give her credit for.

So happy to see Eunsoo do well- she got a bit held down by PCS in comparison to other skaters, unfortunately. She's the only other junior, besides perhaps Tsurskaya, who I really see as someone with that wow factor. Big jumps and tons of expression and presence on ice. Hopefully she skates a clean free tomorrow and gives herself a shot at the podium or a top 5 finish.

I agree with you in everything :agree:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Indeed, but last few years in Ladies single they don't. They stands out as anomalies.
I guess the non-European judges and feds would be quite vocal if anything regarding those draws was fishy. And European judges are needed for 4CC f.e. as well, there aren't enough non-European judges.

Plisskin

Medalist
This was my 1st time seeing many of these ladies since I don't follow juniors but: That Marin Honda though! I could only think of one word throughout her SP. Gorgeous. Her refinement beats most senior ladies, including the current World Champ! I really hope she wins this. Not a fan of Zagitova. She's a junior version of her training mate Med. I don't enjoy their style of skating. And I haven't liked a Russian lady skater since the 90's but Tsurskaya has changed that for me. Love her elegant style and musical interpretation. I hope she comes back strong in the free. I really hope to see more from her. There's so many technically proficient girls coming out of Russia, I hope this was just an off day from her (is she coming back from injury?) I would hate to see her get buried underneath them.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I guess the non-European judges and feds would be quite vocal if anything regarding those draws was fishy. And European judges are needed for 4CC f.e. as well, there aren't enough non-European judges.

Other federations should be more vocal, but perhaps they are concerned about the consequences? What initially took me by surprise was the fact with 2 senior wc that took place Asia, with 100% European panels and we saw what happen with the score inflation. What are the chances of having 100% Asia judges at a European or N.American event ever? Now it has become a movement. It is clear they want to build up Alina as a Evegenia II a la factory de Eteri. They now even have similar judging panel make up at a WORLD championships, when every one is really competing in a mini European championship, the rest are just formalities.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Marin should have 33 or 34 in PCS compare to Alina. This girl skates like a clean Carolina. So refined, skating skills top notch. Class of the field. If this is judged correctly, she would get 73-74. This actually should be better score than the crap put out from medvedeva.

Alina is so sloppy in her program. I do get her TES, but PCS is 2 points higher than the mess she puts out. That is a half way program. Everything is halfway done before moving on to next.

Kaori has really good ss, but she does skate juniorish. I think she will go far like Mai next year. A little bland but all around good.

Eunsoo should get higher PCS, at least the same or higher than Yuna and Alina.

Yuna is ok. I can appreciate the good skating skills but everything else is just ok. Nothing makes her stand out from this deep field.

Polina is not progressing for 2 years. Still the same miming going through the motion like a bad rehearsed actress. Her 3lutz looks clean though. 3 toe should be downgraded for a toe axel + landing over 1/4 turn. 3 loop is UR for sure. She doesn't snap into the rotation fast enough and when she's not in top shape, it will show up. Kinda like Karen Chen in that regard. Big jump, slow rotation, on a bad day, multiple UR. Her PCS is too high, should be lower.