Australians all let us rejoice, for we are young and free,
We've golden soil and wealth for toil, our home is girt by sea
Our lands abound in nature's gifts, of beauty rich and rare
In history's page, let every stage
Advance Australia Fair
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia Fair!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
No, I know that, but the question was "Who might grab a surprise gold medal *next* year?" In which case, perhaps this Chinese team.

They do have the potential to do it.

But, I'm still not going to hold my breath that they will still be a team next year.

As I said, this guy has form for appearing with a different partner every season.

CaroLiza_fan

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
What about citizenship for Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya? Will it be possible? I hope so but I don't know at all how difficult (or easy) it is to get the Australian citizenship. And are they already trying to do something for getting it?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What about citizenship for Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya? Will it be possible? I hope so but I don't know at all how difficult (or easy) it is to get the Australian citizenship. And are they already trying to do something for getting it?

AOC's immigration lawyers are already working on it (and have been for some months now). We have special routes for Outstanding Talents, they've been employed before - like when Dale Begg-Smith became Australian right before - was it Salt Lake or Turin? At any rate, surely, surely, you'd have to think that being Junior World Champions would just about print her passport for her.

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
AOC's immigration lawyers are already working on it (and have been for some months now). We have special routes for Outstanding Talents, they've been employed before - like when Dale Begg-Smith became Australian right before - was it Salt Lake or Turin? At any rate, surely, surely, you'd have to think that being Junior World Champions would just about print her passport for her.

Great, thank you for information, it sound good for them :)

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Begg-Smith won in Turin and silver in Vancouver :)

We may not have got a gold in Sochi but 2 silvers and a bronze was still a good effort considering Winter sports is not really Australia's thing :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Right. Now let's see if I can calm down enough to sleep... :bed: :bed: :bed:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Okay I woke up at about 9:30 am EST. And I went to look at the ladies results. Then the pairs and I saw there was no one left and Ekaterina and Harley were on top and I was like "OH MY GOSH!!!!!!" And then I immediately came here to check how Karne and the other Aussie posters were feeling.

Ross74

Medalist
I've always been a fan of Harley because that's my grandfather's name. :) Congrats to he and Ekaterina!!!

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I finally had time to look at the results, and OH. MY. GOD. THE AUSSIES ACTUALLY DID IT!

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Congrats to the Australian pair! Once I get back home from work I need to check their FS but I wanted to congratulate them first!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Right. Now let's see if I can calm down enough to sleep... :bed: :bed: :bed:

A thousand congratulations and sweet dreams!

You have been so loyal to your national team, and I am sincerely thrilled for you. And, for them, of course.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Crossposted from the 2018 Spots thread

2018 World Junior Championships: Pairs

2017 Pairs results: http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1617/wjc2017/CAT003RS.HTM

3 Spots

Australia! (1, only team) - up from 1 team
Russia (2 + 4 = 6)

2 Spots

China (3, only team) - up from 1 team
Canada (5 + 9 = 14)
USA (7 + 10 = 17)
South Korea (8, only team) - up from 1 team

2017-2018 Junior Grand Prix: Pairs

A: 3 Entries in 4 Events - Top 4 placing countries

(1) Australia
(2) Russia
(3) China
(4) Canada

B: 2 Entry in 4 Events - Non-top-4 placing countries qualifying for the FS

USA, South Korea, Israel, Germany, Japan, France, Italy, Spain

As there are only 16 competing pairs, all entries qualify for the FS, so no countries can send 1 entry to each of 4 events. All other countries wishing to send Pairs teams to the JGP can send 1 entry to each of 3 events.