2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*perplexed expression*

*checks the calendar*

No, I wasn't imagining things, this comp really was in the first week of October. The way people are rocketing to panic stations in here you'd think we were a few days out from the GP Final when this happened.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
How difficult is it to say to one of her minions (Ie come her Evan on your hands and knees now I order you make a black unitard and add a white stripe down one side!!!! Just saying...

She has been busy recently with Barbara Bush's custom wedding dress. Maybe no time for Nathan's new costumes!

century2009

On the Ice
The looks for Nathan from Vera for Worlds were actually great looks for him. It fit him well and looked very classy.

I know Vera has done horrible looks before, but to be fair, she did do good looks for Nathan. They fit him well and played with his favorite color (black) in different ways that were nice on him.

Looking at his costumes now (assuming they will be used until a new one), i dont mind Vera again because at least they will fit him well, and have some style to them.

lurkz2

On the Ice
The looks for Nathan from Vera for Worlds were actually great looks for him. It fit him well and looked very classy.

I know Vera has done horrible looks before, but to be fair, she did do good looks for Nathan. They fit him well and played with his favorite color (black) in different ways that were nice on him.

Looking at his costumes now (assuming they will be used until a new one), i dont mind Vera again because at least they will fit him well, and have some style to them.

I prefer his costumes from the previous season (2016-17), don’t know why he doesn’t go back to that designer (unless the designer is connected with Marina:confused:).

I even think a variation of the Le Corsaire costume would work for Caravan, just replace the black lace.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I prefer his costumes from the previous season (2016-17), don’t know why he doesn’t go back to that designer (unless the designer is connected with Marina:confused:).

I even think a variation of the Le Corsaire costume would work for Caravan, just replace the black lace.

I loved both of his costumes from 16-17.

This one was terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czf4_clB4ro

Dressed like a 5 years old and was he supposed to be a cowboy? what's up with the brown fake leather jacket? Also the colours don't match at all.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
The ‘fake jacket’ is supposed to be a vest

It was inspired by the Le Corsaire ballet - pirate, not cowboy :p

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… Men summer comp best scores (Nationals placement)
Sean Rabbitt 223.83 Glacier Falls (14th)
Emmanuel Savary 210.28 Skate Dallas (18th) ...

Update on Emmanuel Savary:

He won Southwestern Regionals today with 210.75 (65.52 SP + 145.23 FS).

(The only other entry was Krasnozhon, whose total score was 189.19.)​

Good luck to Jimmy, Vincent, Nathan at Skate America. :yay:

princessalica

Final Flight
So is alex just still recovering from his broken ankle. His scores haven’t been close to what he’s capable of this year. And I really enjoy his skating. I’m not trying to bash him, I just want to see him accel

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Update on Emmanuel Savary:

He won Southwestern Regionals today with 210.75 (65.52 SP + 145.23 FS).

With two quads in the free and a score that essentially matches his summer high score. Did USFSA adjust the ISP required score this season for the men to take into account the lower base value this year? I am wondering because Emmanuel has now defeated Kraznozhon & Dolensky head-to-head, plus two of Savary's scores are higher than anything Ma has earned. But Emmanuel can't get an assignment because he needs the ISP score. These other guys have it from last season.

However, Emmanuel appeared to be injured last season. He wasn't performing with all his difficulty. Now his difficulty is back, but he hasn't been able to get the score. However, these other guys aren't getting the score now either. It just occurred to me when I realized this new score--with the quads in the program--is essentially the same as the score he earned this summer. Plus after watching a lot more men's programs this fall and realizing that scores are down. I just don't want him to be stuck. Not when he is outskating his peers.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
She has been busy recently with Barbara Bush's custom wedding dress. Maybe no time for Nathan's new costumes!

She's already got that dress designed and done. It's LA fashion week right now. And if I'm not mistaken, Vera was in Seoul recently, if not at the moment.

And the suggestions about Evan (not by you) in this thread are silly at best.

Yes, he works there as a consultant, but making crap is not his job. :laugh:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I got used to his SP costume last year.

But honestly -- IMHO, it didn't hold a candle to the plain black pants and black shirt with sleeves rolled up to the elbows that he wore early in the season. That look called attention to what Nathan did with his arms, to communicate the music and the mood of the program, which was awesome. His bare arms made a contrast to the black rest of it, made the program more bare and raw, which again expressed the music perfectly. And his curls added a bit of a wild look ... which contrasted with the precision Nathan skates with, and his technique.

I'll always keep re-watching Nathan's SP skates at 2017 Rostelecom and Skate America. Figure skating ... at least Nathan's style of FS ... just doesn't get better. :love:

IloveFS

Rinkside
I got used to his SP costume last year.

But honestly -- IMHO, it didn't hold a candle to the plain black pants and black shirt with sleeves rolled up to the elbows that he wore early in the season. That look called attention to what Nathan did with his arms, to communicate the music and the mood of the program, which was awesome. His bare arms made a contrast to the black rest of it, made the program more bare and raw, which again expressed the music perfectly. And his curls added a bit of a wild look ... which contrasted with the precision Nathan skates with, and his technique.

I'll always keep re-watching Nathan's SP skates at 2017 Rostelecom and Skate America. Figure skating ... at least Nathan's style of FS ... just doesn't get better. :love:

Hey, I'm new to this thread. Just kinda been creeping and reading comments haha. I couldn't agree more about your description of his more simple Nemesis costume. Definitely minimalistic, yet modern and intense. Does anyone know who made his Nemesis black shirt and pants costume? And can we please get in touch with them so they can make a costume for his Land of All LP? :laugh:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
You know, I really don’t know what’s happened to this thread.

We’re already well into the season - the JGP is over, 7 Challengers are in the books, the first official Skate America practice was yesterday, the men’s SP is tonight, Skate Canada is next week. In the past several years, this thread has been quite active by this point in the season, but this year, no one’s talking about the state of US men’s skating. Any thoughts as to why that is?

Even better, anyone have any thoughts about how the US men are doing so far this year? How Nathan, Vincent or Jimmy will do at SA? If so, I’d love to hear your thoughts! I personally was really surprised that Jimmy was selected for SA, but he obviously connects with audiences and appears to have upped his tech content this season - do you think he has a chance of breaking through on the GP? Medaling at Nationals? Making the world team? Nathan and Vincent both reportedly looked good in practice yesterday after rough early competitions. How do you think they’ll do tonight? What are you thinking about the guys you personally are rooting for? Are you expecting one of our strong juniors who skate senior domestically to make a strong push at Nationals this year and maybe medal?

By the way, for those of you who want to continue discussing Nathan’s costumes - and it seems quite a lot of people do - would you mind taking it to his fan thread? Yeah, we sometimes talk about that stuff here and it’s fine - but when 20 of the last 25 posts are about Nathan’s hair and costumes, that’s some serious thread drift. I’m just one person, but I really like men’s skating and I’d love for this to be a place where we can talk about how US guys are skating and doing competitively. I’m interested in Nathan’s skating, but his costumes - not so much. Thanks! :)

concorde

Medalist
Well we really cannot discuss SA in this general US men thread until the competition is over. So that means check back on Saturday after about 7pm whe there will be alot to discuss.

I am really curious to see how Vincent and Nathan skate. I am less concerned about Jimmy since he tends to always put on a good/fun show (please do not take that as a negative, it is meant as a compliment).

skatenewbie

Medalist
the hype on this thread is kind of die down because poor performance from many US men in challengers. Only Jimmy Ma medaled, and its not the best performance. Even Nathan struggled in JO, but his SA practice is better tho. idk how US men will do except Nathan can win for sure. Vincent might sneak to podium but if he got < a lot then nope. Jimmy in top 5?

evasorange

Final Flight
I think, unless he has some kind of epic meltdown, Nathan has the skate America gold on lock. He’ll get pretty generous scores and probably has room to make some mistakes. Vincent I have no idea what to expect. He’s coming off a back injury right? Here’s hoping he takes it easy on the quads and focuses on just getting a clean performance out there. Jimmy Ma I remember seeing him at 2017 nationals and he came out with an Eminem melody sp LOL he didn’t have the most technically advanced program but it really got the crowd going and was probably in the top three most entertaining programs of the night. So I hope he has a really good showing here!

Honestly US men feel a bit boring this year. It feels strange not to be talking about Adam, Max, Grant, Ross being in the mix. I think we got spoiled by having so many talented men in and out of the conversation(thank you Ryan Bradley 😜). This year is a kind of a come down from that. But still, I am excited to see what US men can do!

century2009

On the Ice
With the new system, how can we discuss when the men just started and Nathan didnt even compete in a real competition and was just for show?

I think we are waiting because it is hard to judge with the new scoring system.

Even after this 1st GP event, the new scoring system is still getting adjusted with even the judges.

So I think people at least want to see the 1st GP event of the competitors for everyone to be honest.