2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating

evasorange

Final Flight
Vincent has had back problems but he says he fine now. According to the planned program sheets Vincent has the most ambitious jump layouts in the competition.

Oh man that is not encouraging to hear. What would the harm be in just trying a one or two quad layout and seeing what happens?! Yes Vincent finally did pull off his quad heavy layout at the Olympics but how many times did it cause his programs to fall apart before and after? Besides he really doesn’t need a crazy amount of quads to be competitive at home and looking at the men competing at skate America doesn’t need a bunch here ether.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
@Tavi... Just to clarify. The original GS policy was on anything related to a on-going competition. Early on I got snagged in the US Ladies thread for posting a very generic comment after the short, something to the tune of "US lady was in XX place and I hoped she would do better in the long." The organizers deleted it and I was given an infraction, which was later switched to an warning, which was later reversed.

My point - Tread carefully if you are going to post anything during on on-going competition that is specifically related to the competition. From what I understand, the intent is for all real-time competition specifics to be in that in the specific competition thread.

I think things have been relaxed but I am not 100% sure.

Thanks for the heads up. :) IMO, the restrictions have definitely had an adverse impact on conversation.

concorde

Medalist
Thanks for the heads up. :) IMO, the restrictions have definitely had an adverse impact on conversation.

Agreed. Sometimes you want a camaraderie that only a Nationalistic thread can offer.

Kinda like now when we just want to discuss only the US men skating in SA, not all the male competitors.

GS Forum Staff

Final Flight
Competition chat

Just a friendly reminder:

Please keep ALL competition chat in the Competition forums until the entire event is over. This includes scores, starting orders, elements, GOES, links to videos, analyzing, discussing, comparing, etc.

Exception: You may discuss a skater's performance in their individual Fan Fest folder as long as you are not comparing them to other skaters or posting general event info.

Thanks for you understanding and for supporting Golden Skate!

tosca

On the Ice
Amazing job Nathan. I feel like the fed is really not helping Vincent. He was definitely deserving of some carrots but I think they went too wild.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
He was definitely deserving of some carrots but I think they went too wild.

No, they didn't. Each one was justified.

If I may express an opinion (can we do this now the men's comp is over?) - Jimmy needs to go back to the Josh FS. NOW. And screw USFS for nixing it in the first place. The Rach 2 program is a disaster.

tosca

On the Ice
No, they didn't. Each one was justified.

If I may express an opinion (can we do this now the men's comp is over?) - Jimmy needs to go back to the Josh FS. NOW. And screw USFS for nixing it in the first place. The Rach 2 program is a disaster.

I disagree. His flip in his SP was fine. But thankfully, we are all allowed our own perspectives.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I disagree. His flip in his SP was fine. But thankfully, we are all allowed our own perspectives.

The flip in the SP had the worst landing of all three with a very clear hook. As the tech panel agreed.

tosca

On the Ice
If you're gonna talk about that you picked probably the worst example. #tinyunderrotatedjumps

Well that’s my point. Look at her tech sheet from worlds. They pick and choose when to call her unders.

tosca

On the Ice
If you're gonna talk about that you picked probably the worst example. #tinyunderrotatedjumps

Well that’s my point. The tech panel chooses when to make those calls. I felt mirai had excessive carrots at world while satoko was being generously called.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
While many of Vincent's carrots were deserved, I truly felt he was robbed -- especially with that late start deduction (I feel like the first skater in a flight should get a bit of leeway with having to start right after the warm up).

Not sure who he ticked off on the tech panel, but it's like the tech panel went after him on everything, including levels.

Anyone who's previously complained that Zhou was getting too much leniency, and who are constantly itching to see his TES get obliterated by tech panel calls, can certainly break out the horns and party hats after that carnage. Enjoy! :sarcasm:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
On a positive note though - wow, Nathan's programs this year are absolutely brilliant. Love the playfulness in the SP and charisma - he's definitely not a one-note skater and nice to see him having fun. That FS is sublime too - the first part is such soft elegant skating, and then that choreo sequence is so unorthodox and interesting movement. I know NBC was gagging over him, but he deserved it - fantastic vehicles, and he wasn't even overscored, and the tech panel still scrutinized him (I mean, the reigning US/World champ at his home Grand Prix gets lowered levels and tech calls), and rather tame PCS I'd say... so the salty folks don't even have anything to complain about.

Also goes to show, the Japan Open panic some people were having was maybe a bit premature. :laugh:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
While many of Vincent's carrots were deserved, I truly felt he was robbed -- especially with that late start deduction (I feel like the first skater in a flight should get a bit of leeway with having to start right after the warm up).

What you feel like doesn't matter. The rule is thirty seconds. I just went back and timed it. Being generous and starting when the announcer finished his name, he still took 33 seconds to get into position.

The tech panel called what they saw. I saw what they saw. Not the same angle, obviously, but all of the calls they made were very obvious in real time, and the slow mo was not flattering.

As always, it is important that URs are called strictly. Leniency not only does the skater who is URing no favours in the long term, it is a slap in the face to the skaters who have put in the blood sweat and tears to do their jumps correctly.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I like Vincent a lot. His jumps were under. He is consistently called on it so he needs to fix it. Perception is everything. People can complain, his coaches can prop him up but until he fixes it the tech panel is not going to give him credit.

Satoko is not a U.S. man so maybe if you'd like to talk about her UR you can do it in the appropriate thread.