2018-2019 Programs By Discipline | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 Programs By Discipline

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
See, I think Alexa could sell it, but not Chris. You are right, as a duo, Vanessa/Morgan both ooze sensuality. Chris usually doesn't emote much, so this seems like a huge stretch. Even when they did Metallica, it was more about her selling it.
I think this is where the Aliono factor comes into play in that she is very good at bringing out the artistry of male partners

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
This is a double plus for me.. my top 2 favorite pairs teams skating to one of my favorite songs ever..
So I am not counting competitions.. just gonna enjoy the moments they are on ice :love::love::luv17:

BTW. Has anyone seen the Alfa Romeo "Wicked Game" commercial? :biggrin:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kd0S-P4z8sw

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I've attended the 2018 Quebec Summer Championships, and Nicolas Nadeau's SP is the same as last season (here's my fancam of "A Wink and a Smile" https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6rtrwq), while his LP is a Depeche Mode medley (this is also my recording https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6rvbzg ). He told me after the medal ceremony that the latter was choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne.

Joseph Phan kept his LP from last season, which is The Godfather soundtrack. (I don't have a video link because he made me promise not to upload it.) His SP info is already listed on the first post, but in case someone hasn't seen the new program yet, here it is: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6rrize

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I've attended the 2018 Quebec Summer Championships, and Nicolas Nadeau's SP is the same as last season (here's my fancam of "A Wink and a Smile" https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6rtrwq), while his LP is a Depeche Mode medley (this is also my recording https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6rvbzg ). He told me after the medal ceremony that the latter was choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne.

I was literally just listening to Depeche Mode earlier this evening and wondering why nobody ever skates to their music. Shae-Lynn has answered my prayers! She really is the best! My only small complaint is that "Just Can't Get Enough" at the end feels a little incongruous with the rest of the Violator-era songs. I would take that out & just finish with "Personal Jesus." Other than that, I'm thrilled that someone is actually using some different music that doesn't suck for a change :laugh2: I loved Nic's Elvis program & I hope he'll deliver with this one, too.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Ok, a good idea, maybe, but that music cut is just terrible - how many bits of songs can you put into a 4 min program??? There does not seem to be any idea behind the selection as far as I could see - just random bits that fit the needs of the technical content more than form any kind of a coherent program. Btw, "Somebody" is also from the 80s and there is a hint of one other old song in the first part (can't get the name in my head), so chronologically a mix of old and new.

Probably a crowdpleaser because people recognize the songs, but otherwise not much to cheer about (so far?).

E

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Marjorie Lajoie/Zachary Lagha RD:
Perro Viejo
Otro Puente Alsina
Essa
By Otros Aires
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ByYS18DXXCc&t=1s

The program does not look like a junior program AT ALL - the way the music is put together, resembling Argentine Tango but with more moderne/electronic arrangement, is visualized perfectly by choreography and movement style. I had goosebumps during the pattern - the musicality of their lines and holds, how they both kept the poses on point with rhythm were just amazing. On top of that, they look like gained more speed, flow and ease in transitions, everything seems much smoother. I really like that the dance for me has some Tango favour, but it is not so obvious nor overpowers the performance/dance. They should keep going like that and strenghten connection and expression. But for the first outing I can say this RD stands out so far from juniors AND seniors.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
The program does not look like a junior program AT ALL - the way the music is put together, resembling Argentine Tango but with more moderne/electronic arrangement, is visualized perfectly by choreography and movement style. I had goosebumps during the pattern - the musicality of their lines and holds, how they both kept the poses on point with rhythm were just amazing. On top of that, they look like gained more speed, flow and ease in transitions, everything seems much smoother. I really like that the dance for me has some Tango favour, but it is not so obvious nor overpowers the performance/dance. They should keep going like that and strenghten connection and expression. But for the first outing I can say this RD stands out so far from juniors AND seniors.

Thanks NNF for your analysis! I agree, they have improved from last year. Great speed on some of their elements like the rotational lift. The twizzle variation on the first set is a highlight. However, I didn't really like the fact that the step sequence is non-touching all the way as I think a tango should have at least some holds for part of the sequence and without it seems a bit out of character for the dance. I guess I have to get more used to these electronic arrangements. Soucisse/Firus also skated to an electronic arrangement yesterday and did a good job but I liked Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen's more traditional, passionate RD interpretation much better.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
My only small complaint is that "Just Can't Get Enough" at the end feels a little incongruous with the rest of the Violator-era songs.

Technically, only two songs are from Violator; the others are from Ultra, Songs of Faith and Devotion, Some Great Reward and Speak & Spell, so a mish-mash of the '90s and '80s.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Depeche Mode's music, here are the songs in Nic Nadeau's LP:

- "Enjoy the Silence" (although this version is sung by Martin Gore, the songwriter and backing vocalist; the one most people are familiar with was sung by Dave Gahan, the lead singer)
- "It's No Good" which later contains lyrics from "Master and Servant"
- "I Feel You"
- "Somebody" (this is my favourite DM song, so my fangirl heart was swooning when I heard it!)
- "Personal Jesus"
- "Just Can't Get Enough"

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Piazzolla's estate must be wishing they could collect royalties from each figure skating event held this season.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Piazzolla's estate must be wishing they could collect royalties from each figure skating event held this season.

Off topic, but is the estate not getting royalties from figure skating?

I thought that respecting copyright rules is one of the reasons why figure skaters must provide music information when they compete?

(ETA: I am not talking about bootlegged competition video, for which musicians do not receive royalties.)​

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Off topic, but is the estate not getting royalties from figure skating?

I thought that respecting copyright rules is one of the reasons why figure skaters must provide music information when they compete?
They get paid under the blanket license system used for live performances.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
From the Quebec Summer Skate:

Marie-Jade Lauriault / Romain Le Gac
RD: "Cell Block Tango"/"Roxie" (from Chicago by John Kander & Fred Ebb)
FD: "Treasure"/"Talking to the Moon"/"Uptown Funk" by Bruno Mars

Laurence Fournier Beaudry and Nikolaj Sorensen appear to be keeping their "Spanish Caravan" FD from last year.