2018 Europeans Mens FS | Page 51 | Golden Skate

2018 Europeans Mens FS

Alifyre

On the Ice
I had some stuff to do today so I couldn't watch the event live, so I'm a little behind the rest of y'all. However, I can't keep watching the rest of the event without acknowledging how awesome Deniss was. The tech may not have been the best out there, but his performance was, to me, one of the best I've seen all season from any man. His footwork and spins are to die for, and I think there's a few ice dancers who would envy him those twizzles. Those PCS should have been higher, he absolutely killed it out there. I hadn't really understood the hype about him before, but I get it now! Great job!!

beki

Medalist
Javi's free was more convincing than it's been all year. But there's a lot to work on before the Olympics. His achievement is amazing, but somehow I'm not feeling an emotional high from it.

rosacotton

Final Flight
Just to add more: The last time a man won six consecutive European titles was Karl Schäfer from Austria. He won the titles eight consecutive times from 1929 to 1936. Javi certainly wrote his name in the history book. What an achievement:clap:

I really hope Javier will be a skater we remember years (and decades) down the road. He has done so much for Spanish figure skating and has written his name in the history book many times.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Just to add more: The last time a man won six consecutive European titles was Karl Schäfer from Austria. He won the titles eight consecutive times from 1929 to 1936. Javi certainly wrote his name in the history book. What an achievement:clap:

Oh, you hit the nail on the head. I was gonna search for who would have such achievements before Javi. :)

Indeed, Javi has left a handsome legacy with his name in history.

Alifyre

On the Ice
Javi's free was more convincing than it's been all year. But there's a lot to work on before the Olympics. His achievement is amazing, but somehow I'm not feeling an emotional high from it.

Yeah I think he seemed a little muted today still... I think he's still focusing on squeaking out that tech, since he clearly doesn't have it all down yet. I wish he would relax more into the program a bit -- he definitely can land a 4S (and every other darn jump!) and I think if anything he's being his own worst enemy right now. If he let himself enjoy the program a bit, I would be willing to bet the tech might not overwhelm him as much. I could be wrong, though.

Either way, I hope to see him perform this program the way he's capable at the olympics. There were glimmers of greatness here, and I hope that those glimmers come together to give us something truly special by February.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Putting Samarin and Jeremy Abbott in the same sentence seems strange.

Maybe not that much if we use one as an opposite to another... Samarin has to learn how control his skating as a whole and take more ownership overall. The fact that he has jumps works for his benefit only, if they are On, if not - there is a problem. He has to somehow got in agreement with his tall, long-limbed physique in regards to his presentation, expression and creating a cohesive, impactful performance, not only jumps to score them. Also, the package, but that maybe after working on control, physical and mental.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I'm glad that Aliev delivered a nice performance with relatively much cleaner jumps than any other showings this season. He didn't seem to suffer stamina issues that he has carried on. That's a good sign for him.

On the other hand, the dark side of me wanted him to do as usual...so that the Russian fed would've gotten in an agonizing dilemma over who to be sent to the Olympics along with Kolyada. lol. Then Voronov with a good body of work this season could've been considered for the last time for being an Olympian over Samarin and Aliev. Though they would've favored Samarin with higher BV and scoring potential anyway. Perhaps, Aliev peaking at the right moment would be better than Samarin whose consistency has proven to be not greater than Aliev who can get a higher PCS score when both equally bomb.

Anyway, it looks clear to me that Kolyada and Aliev will be going to Pyeongchang. :)

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Then Voronov with a good body of work this season could've been considered for being an Olympian over Samarin and Aliev.

They never would have considered Voronov. This whole mess was about Samarin in the first place and RusFed wanting him to go. He had a massive push by the Fed all season long.

In fact, I am very, very pleased Dima has so many points over Samarin here because otherwise, if it had been less, say 5, I think Samarin would have gone to PC anyway.

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I am quite sad for both Kolyada and Voronov. They put much energy on the bloody Grand Prix and it didn't pay it off for neither. Kolyada will go to the Oly but in the male competition he ain't no chance for a medal and now he might be scraped from the Team Competition, because we have seen now that the Federation doesn't care about GP body of work. I don't see him surviving another four years in Russian team, the federation used him only because they had not another alternative, but as soon as they have a star they will throw him away like they did with many other Russian skaters. :sad21: .

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I am quite sad for both Kolyada and Voronov. They put much energy on the bloody Grand Prix and it didn't pay it off for neither. Kolyada will go to the Oly but in the male competition he ain't no chance for a medal and now he might be scraped from the Team Competition, because we have seen now that the Federation doesn't care about GP body of work. I don't see him surviving another four years in Russian team, the federation used him only because they had not another alternative, but as soon as they have a star they will throw him away like they did with many other Russian skaters. :sad21: .

That's a little extreme. I'm sure they will still put him in the team event and they surely aren't going to "throw him away" - this isn't the ladies where they have their pick of the litter. There are not that many other promising guys turning senior any time soon, either.

He benefited greatly from being Russian #1 despite having only one clean program all season that I can remember. That's nobody else's fault and if his team was a little smarter, he could probably have been more consistent. He is only 22, he's got plenty of time.

There is no guarantee that Dima is going to keep up this level either. I certainly hope so but this is men's skating...nothing is predictable.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
They never would have considered Voronov. This whole mess was about Samarin in the first place and RusFed wanting him to go. He had a massive push by the Fed all season long.

In fact, I am very, very pleased Dima has so many points over Samarin here because otherwise, if it had been less, say 5, I think Samarin would have gone to PC anyway.

Actually, I didn't mind Samarin going to South Korea until Nationals because he is a sort of guilty pleasure skater for me (rather amused by his devoted fans' prank though) and quickly learned how to land consistently 4lutz! However, the titled judging and blatant pushes towards him at Nationals made me weary. Poor Voronov was bumped off from the race for Olympics mainly because of the fed's certain sentiment against him. He is quite old as a competitive skater, but I'm sadden by the fact that his hard working and good int' results are still not enough for him to go to Olympics.

Nika09

On the Ice
Aliev for Olympics!

Congrats Javi! You are a true champion and I just can't imagine some euros without you! :(
And good luck in PC

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
That's a little extreme. I'm sure they will still put him in the team event and they surely aren't going to "throw him away" - this isn't the ladies where they have their pick of the litter. There are not that many other promising guys turning senior any time soon, either.

He benefited greatly from being Russian #1 despite having only one clean program all season that I can remember. That's nobody else's fault and if his team would be a little smarter, he could probably have been more consistent. He is only 22, he's got plenty of time.

There is no guarantee that Dima is going to keep up this level either. I certainly hope so but this is men's skating...nothing is predictable.

Re Team competition: They will go for both pairs to give both chances in their competition as both are battling for the bronze, they will go for two woman to give them chance to don't be too tired in their competition. They don't have too many good dance pairs, so here is easy. I think they will use only one man for the team competition. They need a stable competitor and Kolyada didn't showed his best now at EC. The federation was already to keep up Aliev up compared to Voronov at National, they trust him. When they decided the EC team they didn't go with Voronov who had a splendid season till National, so GP didn't meant a thing for them. So yeah, i think they will take Aliev now.

Now, how many good male skaters didn't the federation screw over? should i remember you about Gachinski which despite a bronze medal at worlds was thrown away after a bad season for Kovtun? How old was he? He was so hyped to be the next Plushenko and still was not supported anymore instead to be nurtured to come back. How many other skaters were very quickly throw away because they didn't delivered? Voronov still pay the price for those years at the beginning of his career when he didn't delivered. Kovtun now is also past for the federation. I see a pattern here. I will be gladly proven wrong, till now i was not. For example I predicted Kovtun fall because he was so artificially hold up (instead to give Voronov some more trust and credit).

By the way, that Kolyada's team was not clever i screamed here on forum from the first moment i saw that he planed a 4Salchow.

I still think the GP was for nowt.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I was watching the video of Dima's skate on NBC and I'm keeling over. The commentator is talking about him and Samarin and the Olympic spot and goes

"..but he [Aliev]'s a better skater. He's a better spinner. The transitions are more complete. The transitions EXIST!"

The shade, the shade :rofl: :rofl:

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany

He made the first step: he changed that awful awful unfortunate costume. The new one is not the best, a tad boring and too conservative, but at least not so awful. :yes2: