2018 Europeans Short Dance | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2018 Europeans Short Dance

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Finally caught up after work ! I went on twitter and saw all these comments about the dance and thought : "Omg, P/C's twizzles must have been terrible !". That was not a disaster though. Y'all made me think they wiped the floor or something.

But good call for the missing level though (According to Ben it does not even matter for levels but the Tech Panel went for it anyway - perhaps to avoid the GOEs which I think is good, now do that for everyone please) and they did look nervous today. It was better at GPF on the overall, but better on most of the elements (barring twizzles) today.
The element quality is something though and much better than the rest of the field and they got much better GOEs on everything, hence the high score.

Was not suprised the slightest with Step/Bukin second. If there was a moment to push and an occasion to do it, it was now or never. And it was very deserved. They worked so much on that Rumba pattern I'm so impressed !
I almost feel bad for B/S that the Russian crowd cheered more for S/B though, ouch. But deserved. Kudos for Sasha for staying collected after the score because she does not want a repeat of Nationals.

Talking about B/S they looked so sloppy on elements, what happenned ? The pattern, the Pst, the lift (especially the end)... just a big no from me today. They must have been so nervous.

C/L have a stamina that I would want though. I don't necessarily think they have the greatest SS and it might hold them back technically ?

Romain and Marie-France were not impressed with the Danes score : "It's low", "Yep". I think the same, they were very good.

Overall good competition, and fight for 2nd place tomorrow !

keasus

On the Ice
True, but the purpose of +3 is for something exceptional so it should not be awarded lightly. And to be honest, if I noticed the mistake right away I think judges at this level should also be able to notice those kinds of things.

Welcome to ice dancing where what you do on the ice does not necessarily correspond to the scores you receive.

LaArdilla

Medalist
I’m sorry, I just can’t warm to Stepanova 🙁 Yes, they have worked really hard this season and yes, she might be a lovely person, but she is IDENTICAL to my first ever boss, who was a first class b**** Anyway, well done on today’s SD, will turn off the sound for tomorrow’s FD. Please choose better music next season.

Bcash

Final Flight
Judge number 4 seemed to be directly paid by Didier Gailhaguet.

I do not get where all the 10s are coming from. Virtue/Moir's short Dance is better. Definitly better.

S/B's time has finally come. So great. To me it should have happend a year ago. Maybe there is a way to the Olympic Bronze.

In your eyes. And they are not even competing here. How would you know they wouldn't get more inflated marks if they did.

Bcash

Final Flight
Stepanova/Bukin scored higher than C/L & B/S because they simply skated better here than those two. I actually think GOEs are generous to those two teams. I also think the other italian team should be closer to those two teams.

regarding PCS, the way teams skated here no one should be getting 9s especially in PE, CO & IN since no one is close to even capturing the "theme" of the short dance.

Do honestly people think for example C/L, B/S or P/C who got 9s interpreted and showed the latin dance qualities in their programs than Hurtado/Khaliavin who got 7 & 8??

Well the judges did. Plus, is interpretation of the music just about "showing latin dance qualities"?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
My opinion on P/C vs. V/M: P/C have immaculate technique, but V/M are faster and sell a program better. Much better.

moon

On the Ice
I’m sorry, I just can’t warm to Stepanova 🙁 Yes, they have worked really hard this season and yes, she might be a lovely person, but she is IDENTICAL to my first ever boss, who was a first class b**** Anyway, well done on today’s SD, will turn off the sound for tomorrow’s FD. Please choose better music next season.

If it makes you feel better and allows you to enjoy them more, both Stepanova and Bukin are very sweet, happy and humble skaters. They are well liked in the skating community because of their warm dispositions

yuna13

On the Ice
H/K: i love sara so i'm glad about their performance and score!

the match is on between the two french team. i have a preference for A/T.

something always happen at EC! can't predict which team is gonna be on the podium with p/c cause it's open. Ice dance is always so predictable it's good to have some suspense.

PC: not their best SD but overall good performance. tomorrow they skate last!:hap10:

moon

On the Ice
I was pleased with the Technical Panel here. They weren't giving away PSt levels like some other panels have been doing at some recent competitions. PSt should be the hardest element to get a level 4.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I was pleased with the Technical Panel here. They weren't giving away PSt levels like some other panels have been doing at some recent competitions. PSt should be the hardest element to get a level 4.

Only PapaCiz got Pst4 here. Not suprised because not that many teams got it through the season : V/M, Shibs, WeaPo maybe H/D too ? I don't know, but not more than 5 or 6. It is indeed so difficult to reach that level4. You have to be so precise.

icekiwi

On the Ice
This dance is a musical tragedy.

Agree. My husband and I are Ballroom/Latin dancers. P/C's choice of using Ed Sheeran for both Samba & Rhumba is just utterly dreadful. There are so many wonderful music choices for Samba & Rhumba. Ed Sheeran's 'Shape of You' is what our dance teacher uses for his 'beginner' Samba class, that gives you an idea of the slow timing. P/C's hips and shoulders are not always in sync, that 's what really bothers me with their marks on the SD. The Shibs brother & sister are super in sync in all their moves and really should be ahead of P/C in the SD back in the GPF. The FD is an entirely different story of course.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Agree. My husband and I are Ballroom/Latin dancers. P/C's choice of using Ed Sheeran for both Samba & Rhumba is just utterly dreadful. There are so many wonderful music choices for Samba & Rhumba. Ed Sheeran's 'Shape of You' is what our dance teacher uses for his 'beginner' Samba class, that gives you an idea of the slow timing. P/C's hips and shoulders are not always in sync, that 's what really bothers me with their marks on the SD. The Shibs brother & sister are super in sync in all their moves and really should be ahead of P/C in the SD back in the GPF. The FD is an entirely different story of course.

It's so good to finally hear from professionals. The pushback some of us got for our complaints about Sheeran was that in ballroom dancing this is the kind of music being used by competitors. I'm so happy to know that is not the case. :thank:

Also good to hear the Shibutani get props. There is something about their cleanliness and quick turns that totally works in latin for me and helps me overlook that they don't quite have the power and depth of edge of the top two teams.

Could you tell us what you think about V/M as well (I'm not trying to compare them to P/C, just getting your expertise)? Do you have a top 5 of folks who are doing it right in the short dance this season?

Jedi

On the Ice

This has sort of been what I have been saying. I know P/C are wonderful especially with a certain style or dance. But they should be marked fairly and the SD is not their strong point

peepsquick

Final Flight
It's so good to finally hear from professionals. The pushback some of us got for our complaints about Sheeran was that in ballroom dancing this is the kind of music being used by competitors. I'm so happy to know that is not the case. :thank:

Also good to hear the Shibutani get props. There is something about their cleanliness and quick turns that totally works in latin for me and helps me overlook that they don't quite have the power and depth of edge of the top two teams.

Could you tell us what you think about V/M as well (I'm not trying to compare them to P/C, just getting your expertise)? Do you have a top 5 of folks who are doing it right in the short dance this season?

There are quite a few videos of professional ice dancers on Ed Sheeran's "Shape of you". It has been shown already in the Ice Dance threads some weeks (months?) back.
V/M were praised as well on the same thread for the authenticity of their ballrom dancing skills.
IMO you can only give a flavor of Latin on ice: hip movements, rolls, shimmying, dress. The medium ice doesn't agree with latin steps. Anyway, even the rumba steps are not the real thing, so authenticity here is just a way to state one's preference.

GGFan

Record Breaker
There are quite a few videos of professional ice dancers on Ed Sheeran's "Shape of you". It has been shown already in the Ice Dance threads some weeks (months?) back.
V/M were praised as well on the same thread for the authenticity of their ballrom dancing skills.
IMO you can only give a flavor of Latin on ice: hip movements, rolls, shimmying, dress. The medium ice doesn't agree with latin steps. Anyway, even the rumba steps are not the real thing, so authenticity here is just a way to state one's preference.

Thank you for the information! I really appreciate it. I hope no one thinks I'm trying to make a case against P/C, who are beautiful skaters :love:. I have not been a fan of the latin SDs in general but that's partly because of the juxtaposition of all of the requirements including the different rhythms which can make programs look schizophrenic.

I have my own opinions, But, in general, I like to hear expertise of others and challenge my preferences. That does not mean that I'm easily swayed by weak arguments :biggrin:

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
While the "Latin argument" could be used for any Short Dance this year, when one wants to prove its point should make his/her best not to sound so biased, borderline bashing.
The ISU is not asking for something so "Latin", but Latin "flavoured", and yes using pop/classick rock or any kind of music and adding a beat works because it's what's done in modern ballroom nowadays. Gotta keep it current, it's 2018.

Once again : all SDs are meeting requirements. Teams worked with professional ballrooms dancers, and top teams have received great reviews about their dancing skills. Every one of them. If one wants to complain of course of the unauthenticity of the dance there is a solution : replace ice with wood. Done.

Of course using other arguments as : "hips not in sync so should be marked less" when it's a SD hence very focused on technical, is quite uncalled for. But then it's apples and oranges, like what you like and let the other do their job, especially if it's done really well. And especially when one lost so much on technical the past years on SDs. (Since it's not an issue anymore, some have to find something to unvalidate it, I guess...).

I think it's great that everyone has its preference, because the teams spoiled us these years in terms of diversity in the SD.

GGFan

Record Breaker
While the "Latin argument" could be used for any Short Dance this year, when one wants to prove its point should make his/her best not to sound so biased, borderline bashing.
The ISU is not asking for something so "Latin", but Latin "flavoured", and yes using pop/classick rock or any kind of music and adding a beat works because it's what's done in modern ballroom nowadays. Gotta keep it current, it's 2018.

Once again : all SDs are meeting requirements. Teams worked with professional ballrooms dancers, and top teams have received great reviews about their dancing skills. Every one of them. If one wants to complain of course of the unauthenticity of the dance there is a solution : replace ice with wood. Done.

Of course using other arguments as : "hips not in sync so should be marked less" when it's a SD hence very focused on technical, is quite uncalled for. But then it's apples and oranges, like what you like and let the other do their job, especially if it's done really well. And especially when one lost so much on technical the past years on SDs. (Since it's not an issue anymore, some have to find something to unvalidate it, I guess...).

I think it's great that everyone has its preference, because the teams spoiled us these years in terms of diversity in the SD.

:rofl: I think with the top teams it is about quibbles (most of them don't have great hips :dev2:). To be honest with all of these dances we're overlooking things and allowing for the fact that it is a sport independent from dance. Lord knows that a lot of passed for hip hop was :rolleye: We have lots of uninformed opinions here so I appreciate that someone was coming at it from a position of expertise. Ultimately you are correct that it is still skating and ballroom dancers are not judging

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
intrigued about the homemade part? Oh, wait your black russian is coffee(caffeine) + vodka without kahlua? Or do you make your own kahlua?:)

Im making my own kahlua ;) You wanna a recipe? It is much better taste than the one you can buy tho :biggrin: