2018 Junior World Championships Ladies FS | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2018 Junior World Championships Ladies FS

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
And as I said it also undermines her. 92 TES is amazing for ANY skater regardless if it’s a man or woman.

Absolutely. And showing how it compares to the men is a way to show laymen how amazing it is. It may be inelegant. But it does the point across how amazing what she did today is. You could also say it is X points or y percentage higher than the next highest score... but I think many people's mind's just don't process that as well. I think some do better wither "Better than Z but not as good as Q" comparisons.

Barb

Record Breaker
Definitely, I have no idea if she will survive puberty but what she did today is more than enough to admire her and applaud her, omg, I can´t believe it actually happened :shocked: :bow:.

icybear

Medalist
Kostornaia is my favourite, but contrary to all quad haters, I;m actually glad there is a girl who went for quads instead of backloading and tanoing everything. That's what really makes Ladies figure skating progress technically. Big props forTrusova and her team.

Btw. I'm kind of happy there was no Eteri with girls, both male coaches look much more friendly and genuinly happy for their pupils :)

I agree. Quads are way more exciting than seeing a arm sticking out from a jump or 2 mins of nothing at the start of a program

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While I think some of it is schadenfreude I also scale of reference is a factor. Human brains like to put things in order and compare them. Trusova's score is such a statistical outlier for ladies skating that it makes it hard to mentally process and compare. So comparing it to men, is a way to put it in order and compare it on a scale we at least can process somewhat. It is a way to help our brains make sense of the numbers.

And just to follow up on this with another point, although I could maybe on some level understand this in the ladies’ thread, I will never ever *ever* understand what possesses someone to make these comparisons in a *men’s* thread. There I think it is completely schadenfreude and sexist: hahaha you can get beat by a girl.

Not only is that an argument I last heard made by six year olds on a playground :laugh: it is completely boring :yawn: Getting your “point” across by going into a men’s thread and talking about the ladies.:scratch2: Yeah, whatevs....:bed:

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Yeah, it's weird-- but four years ago, Zagitova wasn't on the radar, and Medvedeva was only winning bronzes. We're prophesying Trusova and Kosternaia dominance-- but four years ago, conventional wisdom was that was going to be Radionova and Tuktamysheva, right? Who the heck even knows what's going to happen over the next four years.

Exactly, i really hate hate hate these kind of predictions. Where is Elena, where is Serafima, where is Anna, where is Gracie? Young woman body can cope with why more in jumps than an adult body. Count the injuries, the lost of motivations, the younger generations, the changing in rules and we cannot predict now anything.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
There is a point where the hair is too long it doesn't look good. Trusova passed that at least 6 inches ago.

So did mine, but I don't care. I grow it cuz i like it, not to "look good" to other people. I like it and that is good enough for me.

icybear

Medalist
What's the min age for junior ladies? I'm beginning to worry Eteri might start pushing 8 yrs old kids to do quad lutzes now

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Absolutely. And showing how it compares to the men is a way to show laymen how amazing it is. It may be inelegant. But it does the point across how amazing what she did today is. You could also say it is X points or y percentage higher than the next highest score... but I think many people's mind's just don't process that as well. I think some do better wither "Better than Z but not as good as Q" comparisons.

But I think we need to be careful that the takeaway for a male skater is that being a high technical scorer is a “male thing.” Or that someone is less of a skater because they don’t do all the quads. That is what comes across to me when I see comments about how Trusova scored higher than so-and-so male skater.

Also I just listened to an NPR show about why women can’t play professional baseball and the cultural implications behind it, so that’s driving my thought process at the moment.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
And just to follow up on this with another point, although I could maybe on some level understand this in the ladies’ thread, I will never ever *ever* understand what possesses someone to make these comparisons in a *men’s* thread. There I think it is completely schadenfreude and sexist: hahaha you can get beat by a girl.

Not only is that an argument I last heard made by six year olds on a playground :laugh: it is completely boring :yawn: Getting your “point” across by going into a men’s thread and talking about the ladies.:scratch2: Yeah, whatevs....:bed:

Ugh I did not see that, and I agree it is absolutely schadenfreude and sexist.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So did mine, but I don't care. I grow it cuz i like it, not to "look good" to other people. I like it and that is good enough for me.

Same here. I like my hair long. The last time it was the length of my chin was when I was 3 or 4 years old. And I'm 22. Though to be frank, with my head shape, longer hair looks better on me than short hair.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Are there posters who criticized a 14 y. o. girl's long hair? That is super cool, super unique...

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
And this is where it's tough to take.

The Olympics are supposed to be the pinnacle of a skater's career. Yet it's only ONE competition every four years, it's litterally like you have to peak 4 Continents.

I genuienely think that if you add the last jumping pass to the Juniors + 30 seconds, Sasha would have won this year. And with that + PCS superiority of Alena K, she could have genuienely been second (with 78+ PCS).

Basically your Olympic win will depend if you show up at the right time. That's why Zhenya did not win this year despite her dominance for 2 seasons. That's why, I'll be following those 2 girls hoping they can stay healthy until 2022, or if they'll get passed over. That's why Zhenya might never get an Olympic Gold as heartbreaking as it sounds. It's "almost" unfair, yet it's still the right results.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Wow, Alexandra just made a historic statement! I don't know whether she can keep those quadruples when she grows in size, but no matter what happens, this was AMAZING!

CAS

On the Ice
Are there posters who criticized a 14 y. o. girl's long hair? That is super cool, super unique...

She´s 13 ;) And I thought it was too long. That´s a personal opinion and not what I would consider a harsh criticism. She took her hair out of the bun so that we would all see her hair and notice. We did.