2018 Junior World Championships Mens FS | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2018 Junior World Championships Mens FS

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Someone corrected me - they’ll actually still get 3 because of Camden and Tomoki’s scores

Oh that's good news!

But I feel the point still stands...

According to Twitter Alexei's gone to hospital to get his ankle checked, fingers and toes crossed it's good news for him!

kimi492

Final Flight
Oh that's good news!

But I feel the point still stands...

According to Twitter Alexei's gone to hospital to get his ankle checked, fingers and toes crossed it's good news for him!

The fact he was still skating around a little bit gives me hope it’s a sprain - it didn’t look as bad as something like what happened to yuzu

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker

da96103

Record Breaker
Well, after last year's Junior's quadfest, this year, reality falls back to ice with only three clean quads (GOE zero or more), all 4T in combo by Erokhov, Phan and Orzel.

So it remains to be seen if the only clean 4S will come from Tsarina Trusova!

Kutien

Final Flight
1Alexey EROKHOV RUS231.5221video
2Artur DANIELIAN RUS218.7682video
3Matteo RIZZO ITA211.5866video
4Joseph PHAN CAN210.91143video
5Roman SAVOSIN RUS207.91125video
6Camden PULKINEN USA207.88174video
7Tomoki HIWATASHI USA206.68117video
8Ivan PAVLOV UKR206.3848video
9Mitsuki SUMOTO JPN199.5139video
10Jonathan HESS GER195.32710video
11Sihyeong LEE KOR194.85511video
12Irakli MAYSURADZE GEO186.98915video
13Conrad ORZEL CAN185.931512video
14Mark GORODNITSKY ISR180.431814video
15Luc ECONOMIDES FRA179.552113video
16Nurullah SAHAKA SUI177.751318video
17Adam SIAO HIM FA FRA175.591619video
18Sena MIYAKE JPN174.661023video
19Younghyun CHA KOR174.132316video
20Petr KOTLARIK CZE173.152017video
21Donovan CARRILLOMEX168.681922video
22Gabriel FOLKESSON SWE166.392420video
23Micah Kai LYNETTETHA166.002221video

JWC2018 Victory ceremony Men

auser

Record Breaker
Frankly, I think Quads add excitement to the sport! It's more of if you can't do one don't try it until it's consistent. I don't think Alex needed it to win:sad21: Also Quads is how the sport advances...
I respect that you think quads add excitement to the sport and I agree they can. But I think choosing the number of jump rotations in the air(especially if they are not cleanly landed) might be an arbitrary way to determine the advancement of a sport based on skilled use of blades on ice. While watching this junior comp, I was impressed with how much technique the skaters endeavored to incorporate in their programs(Jason Browns' extension/spins, Shoma's cantilever, their musicality).

charlotte14

Medalist
I respect that you think quads add excitement to the sport and I agree they can. But I think choosing the number of jump rotations in the air(especially if they are not cleanly landed) might be an arbitrary way to determine the advancement of a sport based on skilled use of blades on ice. While watching this junior comp, I was impressed with how much technique the skaters endeavored to incorporate in their programs(Jason Browns' extension/spins, Shoma's cantilever, their musicality).
The main point of a sport is to push the limit. You play with risky elements you have to accept the risks. It is the norm of all sports. If you're afraid to get hurt you're never going to win anything.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
The main point of a sport is to push the limit. You play with risky elements you have to accept the risks. It is the norm of all sports. If you're afraid to get hurt you're never going to win anything.

I think auser has a point though, that it's important to push the sport in other ways as well. Jumps are not the only limit that can be pushed.
Steps and spins are not necessarily safer either. Lots of people get concussions working on spins. And they can also be exciting and innovative.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
I hope Krasnozhon recover quickly. Did he ever land a clean 4Lo? I can remember only URs, and this time the UR (4S) was terrible.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Proud of Matteo's season: fairly tired here (especially in the second half) but good enough for the bronze. By far our strongest talent, next season he will need a quad to compete in seniors.

I'm also happy that Danielan made the podium: 14 years old and already Junior Worlds silver medalist, that's insane. Also i like his packaging, already good skating skills,
very good posture, his FS was the best performance of the event for me.

He needs to work on the facial expression, the elevation of the 3T in the 3-3 combo (it always looks barely rotated), and eventually to approach quads. Please stay in juniors for another year or two. Great future.

Alexey Erokhov: congratulations, Eteri's group starts to bring results in men's figure skating too, not his best FS though: he would have lost the gold with a clean program from Krasnozhon. Rach maybe not the best fit, and the program was all jumps and very little choreography. He needs something less frantic, his R&J FS from last season was a lot better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH1wA8VJAC4

charlotte14

Medalist
I think auser has a point though, that it's important to push the sport in other ways as well. Jumps are not the only limit that can be pushed.
Steps and spins are not necessarily safer either. Lots of people get concussions working on spins. And they can also be exciting and innovative.
Jumps are more difficult and dangerous than spins and footworks. The point is not to focus on jumps only. The point is to push the limits in all the aspects equally. The point is judges do not do their jobs well because of bias and political games. For example if they do not automatically give above 80 for men who just need several quads yet poor skating skills, the issue would never happen.
If some jumpers believe they only need the number of quads to score huge, then why would they push their skating skills and other aspects? It is the judges' fault.
To limit the quads means to stop the progress of the sport.