2018 Junior World Championships Mens FS | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2018 Junior World Championships Mens FS

auser

Record Breaker
Jumps are more difficult and dangerous than spins and footworks. The point is not to focus on jumps only. The point is to push the limits in all the aspects equally. The point is judges do not do their jobs well because of bias and political games. For example if they do not automatically give above 80 for men who just need several quads yet poor skating skills, the issue would never happen.
If some jumpers believe they only need the number of quads to score huge, then why would they push their skating skills and other aspects? It is the judges' fault.
To limit the quads means to stop the progress of the sport.
I agree that "the point is to push the limits in all the aspects equally". :thank:

Skatefan15

On the Ice
Honestly it shouldn't be all about jumps but it shouldn't be all about artistry and steps either. There needs to be more well rounded skaters who have good artistry but can also do the hard stuff. Look at the top 5 at the Olympics, all 5 of them have both artistry and athleticism which is why they are where they are.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
I just woke up after giving up on the CBC ever starting up the stream again and saw the results. What the hell happened?!

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just woke up after giving up on the CBC ever starting up the stream again and saw the results. What the hell happened?!

Bomb, bomb, bomb, injured skater, bomb. The men skaters are just not that consistent. Only 1 clean program and it's from the youngest in the field.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Honestly it shouldn't be all about jumps but it shouldn't be all about artistry and steps either. There needs to be more well rounded skaters who have good artistry but can also do the hard stuff. Look at the top 5 at the Olympics, all 5 of them have both artistry and athleticism which is why they are where they are.

When Boyang was in juniors he got plenty of criticism for being "just a jumper" (and some still think that about him). I don't personally rate Nathan very high in the artistry department, though he shows small glimpses from time to time. But all young skaters are weaker in some areas. Very, very few are truly well rounded at this age. I am biased but I would say Dima met that standard, possibly Cha Jun Hwan from last season's group. Definitely not Zhou or Samarin...

jillredhand

Record Breaker
Bomb, bomb, bomb, injured skater, bomb. The men skaters are just not that consistent. Only 1 clean program and it's from the youngest in the field.

Well... good thing I missed nothing then? Ouch. Poor Alexei! I thought he had a win in the bag.

steiner

Rinkside
God, Alexei's injury looked awful. :( Really hope he turns out okay.

Wow @ Russian (almost certainly) winning in every discipline. Total domination.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
While i'm happy for Rizzo, Alexei's injury ruined everything to me, it was devastating to see :no:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alexei K., my “heart on your sleeve” jumper....
:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Much like Yuzu’s NHK comp, there is no way to be happy about results at a comp where that happened.
:sad21:

xabia

On the Ice
Just watched videos for the top 6. I must say I enjoyed Camden's FS performace the most (I'm not American, btw).

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
:( Sad for Alexei and his injury, though glad Camden and Tomoki managed to get 3 spots for the USA for next year on their own. Unfortunately the USA is the 4th highest placing country and thus doesn't get max JGP spots. Proud of Matteo Rizzo though. 3rd place, nice! And Joseph Phan for moving all the way to 4th! (The overall standings look like a mess going from the SP to the FS wow)

2019 World Junior Championships: Men

2018 Men's results: http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/wjc2018/CAT001RS.HTM

3 Spots

Russia - RUS (1 + 2 = 3)
United States - USA (6 + 7 = 13)

2 Spots

Italy - ITA (3, only skater) - up from 1 spot!
Canada - CAN (4 + 13 = 17)
Ukraine - UKR (8 +18 = 26)
Japan - JPN (9 + 16 = 25)
Germany - GER (10, only skater) - up from 1 spot!
South Korea - KOR (11 + 16 = 27)

2018-2019 Junior Grand Prix: Men

A: 2 Entries in 7 Events - Top 3 highest placing countries

(1) Russia (RUS)
(2) Italy (ITA)
(3) Canada (CAN)

B: 1 Entry in 7 Events - Countries 4th-6th, eligible for any unused spots from A, B, or C to add a second skater to an event

(4) United State (USA)
(5) Ukraine (UKR)
(6) Japan (JPN)

C: 1 Entry in 6 Events - Countries 7th - 10th

(7) Germany (GER)
(8) South Korea (KOR)
(9) Georgia (GEO)
(10) Israel (ISR)

1 Entry in 5 Events - Countries qualifying for FS, 11th and lower

France (FRA), Switzerland (SUI), Czech Republic (CZE), Mexico (MEX), Sweden (SWE), Thailand (THA)

1 Entry in 4 Events - Countries with skaters placing 25th-30th in the SP

Turkey (TUR), Malaysia (MAS), Estonia (EST), Belarus (BLR), Azerbaijan (AZE)

1 Entry in 3 Events - Countries with skaters placing 31st or lower in the SP

Spain (ESP), Monaco (MON), Hong Kong (HKG), Bulgaria (BUL), Finland (FIN), Chinese Taipei (TPE), Latvia (LAT), Australia (AUS), Hungary (HUN), Austria (AUT), Kazakhstan (KAZ), Great Britain (GBR), Ireland (IRL), Singapore (SGP), Poland (POL), Croatia (CRO), Philippines (PHI)

All other countries wishing to send Men's skaters to the JGP can send 1 entry to each of 2 events.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Honestly it shouldn't be all about jumps but it shouldn't be all about artistry and steps either. There needs to be more well rounded skaters who have good artistry but can also do the hard stuff. Look at the top 5 at the Olympics, all 5 of them have both artistry and athleticism which is why Nthey are where they are.
But the truth is the top five all suffered artistically for the sake of quads at the olympics. The point or fact is quads are worth so much in proportion pcs don't count as much or aren't as influential in the results. Someone could be a lot better in pcs but one 1 quad can destroy that

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
As seen in the Junior ladies comp today...
The young lady landing 2 quads got a huge score and her team mate, the true artist in the event, finished 18 or so points behind her ... the artistic performance pushed the envelope in ladies FS in so many ways but I feel it was sidelined by the quads. Wish there was a way both could celebrated in equal measure but, as things stand now, an aesthetic performance will always take a back seat to pure athletics. Perhaps the challenge is to produce programs that satisfy both artistry and athletics but unless artistry is given equal weight, where is the incentive?
What happened to Alexei today kind of proves the point.
Will be interesting to see where the chips land going forward. Now, at least in ladies, the Russian teams essentially are in a class by themselves and have no competitors, basically competing against themselves. It's better in men's now but the future may be the same there as well. Can the rest of the world keep up?
Those of us who, like me, thrill to athletic performance but who prefer a beautiful fluid skate are told to look to show skating not competition for satisfaction.
As I said: it will be interesting....:popcorn:

madison

Record Breaker
As seen in the Junior ladies comp today...
The young lady landing 2 quads got a huge score and her team mate, the true artist in the event, finished 18 or so points behind her ... the artistic performance pushed the envelope in ladies FS in so many ways but I feel it was sidelined by the quads. Wish there was a way both could celebrated in equal measure but, as things stand now, an aesthetic performance will always take a back seat to pure athletics. Perhaps the challenge is to produce programs that satisfy both artistry and athletics but unless artistry is given equal weight, where is the incentive?
What happened to Alexei today kind of proves the point.
Will be interesting to see where the chips land going forward. Now, at least in ladies, the Russian teams essentially are in a class by themselves and have no competitors, basically competing against themselves. It's better in men's now but the future may be the same there as well. Can the rest of the world keep up?
Those of us who, like me, thrill to athletic performance but who prefer a beautiful fluid skate are told to look to show skating not competition for satisfaction.
As I said: it will be interesting....:popcorn:
Because this is sport, this is competition. Artistic performances are celebrated in the shows.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
That seems really unfair? Like it's not Alexei's fault he injured himself (incidentally that was really scary! I was worried he was going to try and go on!), shouldn't there be leeway given there? (Reminds me of the time Sergei broke his skate at Worlds...I think Russia lost some spots there, but that was an act of God and it seemed wrong Russia lost out because of it).

However! Big congrats to Artur - who's a new favourite of mine! Matteo - who's awesome! And Alexey from Russia too.

Artur looks like a little boy next to Matteo and Alexey lol. It was so odd. Good for him but he got beaten by a girl lol with two quads.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Artur looks like a little boy next to Matteo and Alexey lol. It was so odd. Good for him but he got beaten by a girl lol with two quads.

He IS a little boy, he just turned 14 two months ago and Matteo and Alexey are grown, 19 and 18 respectively. They WILL look more mature because they've hit puberty and Artur hasn't. And I for one don't care if he gotten beaten by a girl. Big whoop. She may have a quad but he has a 3a, better spins, skating skills and polish. For him to be on the podium is already a huge accomplishment at his age.

ewdokia

On the Ice
Because this is sport, this is competition. Artistic performances are celebrated in the shows.
You may not have noticed, but artistry is part of this sport. That’s why there is a PCS score, otherwise the tech score would be enough to judge a comp. Unfortunately with the PCS scores being limited with a 10 per section but TES not, with more and more quads there is an increasing imbalance. In the past there have been competitions which only focused on jumps, like top jump, however, interest to watch them was low. So obviously the big majority of figure skating fans appreciates artistry as much as jumps and wants artistry to a part of this sport and not jumps only. :rolleye:

He IS a little boy, he just turned 14 two months ago and Matteo and Alexey are grown, 19 and 18 respectedly. They WILL look more mature because they've hit puberty and Artur hasn't. And I for one don't care if he gotten beaten by a girl. Big whoop. She may have a quad but he has a 3a, better spins, skating skills and polish. For him to be on the podium is already a huge accomplishment at his age.
Let’s wait if girls jumping quads at age 13 will even reach adult level and have success there. :(
I’m just happy that Artur is too young to be pushed to senior GP by his fed, so there is not so much pressure on him to learn quads too quickly. And luckily he has a coach who is interested in a long term development of a skater. He shows so much talent, I look forward how he develops over the years. :hap10:

Artur by the way plans to learn a quad:
https://zubakovsport.com/0000571/

“My impression of the start in Sofia is positive with exception of the short program, where I fell on the combo. My goal was to skate both programs clean, and it almost worked, I didn’t think about placements. But it happened that I became 2nd and I’m very happy about it, though I still don’t fully realize that it’s 2nd!!! I prepared for this start with Elena Buyanova, Marina Selizkaya, the choreographer Irina Tagaeva, Alexander Uspensky, coach for off-ice conditioning and Maxim Savosin, who teaches skating skills.

I’d like to wish Alexei Krasnozhon speedy recovery.”

- Will you have a rest now?

“Now it’s not the time to rest. There is an important task – to learn a quad jump. Maybe if I’ll learn it in the near future till the end of the season, we have to include it into the program and try to skate with it at a competition.”

(At RJN he mentioned that he has already tried quads in practice.)

He comes across very humble, mature and focused given his age. And talking about maturity: did anybody else notice how he was caring about his blades when the boys stepped off the podium on the red carpet? Alexei did walk normally on his blades, despite the officials were walking there with street boots, with a possibility of littles stones and other things being left on the carpet which might cause damage to the blade. Artur walked on the toe picks. :)