2018 Olympic Figure Skating Ladies FS | Page 167 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Ladies FS

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Freedom of speech is the right for citizens to say whatever they wish without government censorship. It means the government cannot impose restrictions on what you are able to say and publish (with some exceptions, such as incitement to violence and defamation of character). It has nothing to do with your ability to say whatever you want on a privately-owned website, in which you have absolutely no “freedom of speech” rights whatsoever, only what permissions are given in the rules.

There is no “right” to create an account on GoldenSkate or any other privately-owned website and to say whatever you want, and it’s generally true that he who invokes freedom of speech as a defense is both uneducated in the law and not worth responding to.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Well if she works on getting bigger jumps like Osmond and continuing her artistic development who knows. The problem she will face is a changing body and perhaps can she back load even more if the Japanese and Russian babies keep making strives to backloaded programs.

She could be a young Carolina - if that is the case she still has 2022,2026, 2030

I would love to see Evgenia do that. Not to take anything away from her or Alina, who were phenomenal, I personally prefer skating with the kind of power and speed that Kaetlyn has and wish the judges rewarded that more. It would have sent an interesting message if they had.

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
Talking about puberty threat for Alina. To mention this is common for persons who don't watch her performances permanently (I guess). They refer to it because it's one of common topics concerning young ladies skating. What is wrong?
1. Not all girls have big troubles during it (Medvedeva is most well known lucky example)
2. I'm sure that Alina passed this period in the 2017, just look at her photos during Russian Nationals in Decemder 2016
http://freeskating.info/gallery/russian_nats_2017/dec21_practice_l1/small/img_9136s.jpg
and 1 year later in December 2017
http://freeskating.info/gallery/russian_nats_2018/dec21_practice_ladies_p3/small/img_1739s.jpg

smythe

Rinkside
I was thinking actually that Zhenya probably should've maybe stuck with EL&IC. I know a lot of people hate it, but I actually loved it and she really grew into it by the end of the season. Think it was more engaging and easier to get the crowd into it and behind her and that might've made the difference.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Well if she works on getting bigger jumps like Osmond and continuing her artistic development who knows. The problem she will face is a changing body and perhaps can she back load even more if the Japanese and Russian babies keep making strives to backloaded programs.

She could be a young Carolina - if that is the case she still has 2022,2026, 2030

Really? you think Zhenya hasn't gone through puberty now??
Just look at Zhenya 2012-2014 vs. Zhenya 2016.
there's no way to get rid of the Tsarina :) don't pull out the puberty card....

flaneur

On the Ice
OT Observation: rewatched the final three skaters and the venue podium. On the way to the podium, someone from the stands tried to offer Medvedeva a Russian flag. She firmly refuses it with a "Nyet. Nyet." It made me curious if they had strict instructions from their federation/IOC about that (which makes sense but it wasn't something I thought about before).

NoStefaniaNo

Rinkside
OAR were not allowed to display flags or make statements against the rules under which they are competing. She did the right thing.

Related, I am sure there will be some negative consequences to what they hockey team did, but they might squeak by considering it was so close to the Olympics being over.

MIM

Medalist
not true.
Evgenia, seeing Zagi so close by this AND last season, should have considered a potential danger for her Olympic gold, and learn 3f-3lo combination, and put it in the second half of her FP. It surely wouldn't be impossible: she has great 3loop and confident 3f. But this way she would almost match the TES base, which would have secured her victory.

This makes me think maybe it is time to introduce her 3f3T3T???

Same goes to Alina’s 3Lz3Lo3Lo;)
I heard in the practice rink that she landed multiple 3loops in combinations.. she can have a 3f3t and a 3lz3t as her other combo jumps. Again, Alina’s big technical prowess( loop combo and no edge calls) will put her ahead of anyone in this field (for now).

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
OT Observation: rewatched the final three skaters and the venue podium. On the way to the podium, someone from the stands tried to offer Medvedeva a Russian flag. She firmly refuses it with a "Nyet. Nyet." It made me curious if they had strict instructions from their federation/IOC about that (which makes sense but it wasn't something I thought about before).

We asked her to sign our flag - she replied: "nyet, izvinite". On the second thought it was a stupid idea from our side - just had nothing else for her to sign.

flaneur

On the Ice
We asked her to sign our flag - she replied: "nyet, izvinite". On the second thought it was a stupid idea from our side - just had nothing else for her to sign.

ah. That's what she said! I was certain about the first part but not so much on the second half.

You must have had a lot of fun watching Zagitova and Medvedeva duel for gold live :)

temadd

Final Flight
This makes me think maybe it is time to introduce her 3f3T3T???

Same goes to Alina’s 3Lz3Lo3Lo;)
I heard in the practice rink that she landed multiple 3loops in combinations.. she can have a 3f3t and a 3lz3t as her other combo jumps. Again, Alina’s big technical prowess( loop combo and no edge calls) will put her ahead of anyone in this field (for now).

In practice Alina did 3Lz in combo with four 3Lo.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Sorry if this has been discussed before. But the weird coincidence that Zagitova and Medevedeva had the exact same free skating score - is that the result of the judges juggling with Medvedeva's score (as she skated last) to match Zagitova's?? Is that possible to do?

Metis

Record Breaker
Sorry if this has been discussed before. But the weird coincidence that Zagitova and Medevedeva had the exact same free skating score - is that the result of the judges juggling with Medvedeva's score (as she skated last) to match Zagitova's?? Is that possible to do?

No.

The highest and lowest marks in each category are thrown out of the average, so while the judges may have had some groupthink regarding Medvedeva’s PCS ranges, they couldn’t have actually calculated what each member would need to enter to produce the exact PCS score that would result in the two earning identical free skate scores in the amount of time they had.

They also couldn’t see Medvedeva’s TES score (BV + GOEs factored), so they actually couldn’t have known the gap. They may have inadvertently underscored her by the tiniest of margins, thinking her GOEs were higher. (Though that would be amazingly stupid.) Or they made the right call and happened to give us a tie in the free skate but the correct winner.

I wonder what the odds of that specific situation happening (tied score) are... if each judge had modeled the probable marks of the other panel members... ugh, I wish I could build a model. The odds are probably low, but depending on the number of trials, not exceedingly low? Zagitova’s program had a higher base value well before GOEs, so I’m sure it’s possible to calculate the rate of a tie happening... I should email 538.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
No.

The highest and lowest marks in each category are thrown out of the average, so while the judges may have had some groupthink regarding Medvedeva’s PCS ranges, they couldn’t have actually calculated what each member would need to enter to produce the exact PCS score that would result in the two earning identical free skate scores in the amount of time they had.

They also couldn’t see Medvedeva’s TES score (BV + GOEs factored), so they actually couldn’t have known the gap. They may have inadvertently underscored her by the tiniest of margins, thinking her GOEs were higher. (Though that would be amazingly stupid.) Or they made the right call and happened to give us a tie in the free skate but the correct winner.

I wonder what the odds of that specific situation happening (tied score) are... if each judge had modeled the probable marks of the other panel members... ugh, I wish I could build a model. The odds are probably low, but depending on the number of trials, not exceedingly low? Zagitova’s program had a higher base value well before GOEs, so I’m sure it’s possible to calculate the rate of a tie happening... I should email 538.
If you can get scoring within 0.5 points of accuracy, the chance of a tie is 1%. If you can get scoring within 1 point of accuracy, the chance of a tie is 0.5%. Kind of. When it comes to actually tying the score, there really is way too much to take into account. In many cases, for a single judge it wouldn't even be possible to accomplish because the breakpoints happen to be in different spots, meaning no matter how they score whatever elements, it's still never going to match exactly.

Safe to say it just was a coincidence. You could say that the judges tried to get their scores as close as possible, but actually trying to match them would be too difficult.

Metis

Record Breaker
If you can get scoring within 0.5 points of accuracy, the chance of a tie is 1%. If you can get scoring within 1 point of accuracy, the chance of a tie is 0.5%. Kind of. When it comes to actually tying the score, there really is way too much to take into account. In many cases, for a single judge it wouldn't even be possible to accomplish because the breakpoints happen to be in different spots, meaning no matter how they score whatever elements, it's still never going to match exactly.

Safe to say it just was a coincidence. You could say that the judges tried to get their scores as close as possible, but actually trying to match them would be too difficult.

I’m more curious as to the odds of getting within 0.5... I really wish I had the stamina to build a giant score database and check for how often judges even hit that (outside of early flights).