2018 Olympic Figure Skating Ladies FS | Page 168 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Ladies FS

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
If you can get scoring within 0.5 points of accuracy, the chance of a tie is 1%. If you can get scoring within 1 point of accuracy, the chance of a tie is 0.5%. Kind of. When it comes to actually tying the score, there really is way too much to take into account. In many cases, for a single judge it wouldn't even be possible to accomplish because the breakpoints happen to be in different spots, meaning no matter how they score whatever elements, it's still never going to match exactly.

Safe to say it just was a coincidence. You could say that the judges tried to get their scores as close as possible, but actually trying to match them would be too difficult.

Thanks guys for all your input. I wonder though if the judges wanted Medvedeva to win or not...I guess we will never know.

viennaskater

Medalist
Thanks guys for all your input. I wonder though if the judges wanted Medvedeva to win or not...I guess we will never know.

Is it a question of 'wanting'? They just mark the technical content and then the presentation - then all the marks get put together and it depends what the total is.

Having said that, I don't think the judges 'wanted' Torvill and Dean to win in 1994, but then at that time it was a different scoring system.