2018 Olympic Figure Skating Ladies FS | Page 166 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Ladies FS

colormyworld240

Medalist
That's fine and all, but the judges are telling us NOW that Alina is the epitome of what a skater should be. Which, IMO, speaks badly of figure skating. Who needs to improve when what you've put out is considered OGM material?

Well no, that's not exactly what they're telling her. They're telling her that she was the best of the two days, which is correct. I don't agree with her TES and PCS distribution, I think the former should be higher than everyone else by a great margin and the latter should be lower. And just because you've got na OGM doesn't mean you don't need to improve. Alina knows this, she even said in her interview there is still a lot for her to work on, and that's exactly what she is going to do; go home and train. If you have to chose a skater that is the best or this epitome, it would be Yuna/Mao. But looking at all the people who won OGM, none are on that level, either. That's not what OGM means; it's respective to your pool of competitors.

Lipea

Final Flight
Evgenia should be crazy proud of herself regardless. There's nothing else she could've really done once Zagitova's PCs were spiked into that same range. They're both perfect 99% of the time and Zagitova's tech is stronger.

not true.
Evgenia, seeing Zagi so close by this AND last season, should have considered a potential danger for her Olympic gold, and learn 3f-3lo combination, and put it in the second half of her FP. It surely wouldn't be impossible: she has great 3loop and confident 3f. But this way she would almost match the TES base, which would have secured her victory.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I am still so heartbroken for Med. I couldn't watch (I was volunteering at Synchro Nationals. Yay Synchro!) but followed along watching the scores. Watching the skates this morning is both joyful and sad. I hope Med lets this motivate her- I think she will. I love her long program and thought it was a beautiful and mature step forward. We've seen Evegnia the ingenue, now we get to see her really develop into a mature skater. She is still among the top in the world- nothing will take that away from her.

On a random note I was happy to see Dabin did so well. I hope we see her further develop her skating- she is beautiful to watch.

*quotes your post simply for the mention of synchro* :yahoo: :points:

I’ve been so caught up in the olympics that I almost forgot about Nationals week!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
HOWEVER... i feel very bad for alina because everyone around her including her coaches and all her compatriots act like she stole someone else's gold. she didn't, it's on the judges, not her, she is a blameless child and it's terrible she has to put up with eteri who's seething with cold hatred and cannot be arsed to even pretend otherwise. alina doesn't dare to be happy because to everyone around her that'd be a crime. it's awful. eteri is being unprofessional and should just go away. can't stand her guts.

At least Zagitova´s male coach showed his happiness for Zagitova´s scores, Eteri was really awful in K&C. No doubt he was glad for her win, too! Nobody stole anything, LOL, just a more competitive skater came onto the scene, so to speak, and she won the Olympics fair and square.

Of course most skating fans, I included, thought that Medvedeva was unbeatable, especially after she had won two consecutive Worlds titles plus other gold medals during a couple of years. It was just bad luck for Medvedeva to get an injury at the worst possible time! Besides, it was not a good idea for her to compete at Europeans as she was beaten there by a new-comer who had already won GPF plus all the other competitions she had participated in this Olympic season.

All competitions are won by a skater who is seen by the judging panel as the best in that particular event.

lavoix

Match Penalty
I'm curious as to why Evghenia didn't put the triple flip triple toe in the second half of this program. That could have made a difference?

I must admit, it is like watching kindergarten debating who's sticker is the best in the world from the Zaitova and Medvedeva = artist crowd.
:laugh2: But all that fine art man! They're the most beautiful stickers in the world! We just don't get them! :laugh2:

ramed

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Did anyone see Alina or Evgenia acknowledge Kaetlyn at all before the venue ceremony? In the other events gold silver and bronze were all hugging and seemed very friendly with each other. The Russians left Kaetlyn out it seems.
Perhaps you and I watched two different venue ceremonies?.. It's still available here https://www.1tv.ru/sport/olympics/f...igurnoe-katanie-xxiii-olimpiyskie-zimnie-igry (you may need to use a browser plugin to make you look like you're accessing the web site from a Russian location). All three hugged each other and looked quite friendly.

Oh by the way who was the overweight lady in Canadian uniform that rushed to congratulate Kaetlyn into K&C so fast she collided with Alina, nearly knocked her down and went away, not caring the slightest bit to even say sorry? That looked soooo friendly of course...

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I'm trying to figure out what changed in Kaori's FS so that her 2A3T2T combo no longer matches the musical cue quite as well as it used to. Seems like starting at 4CC she's been jumping it earlier?

Blondie12

On the Ice
I tink they're quite different, though. Sotnikova, other than olympic gold, has not won a single international competition in seniors. In contrast, Alina has won them all.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -[/

Fun fact: all 3 podium finishers have either broken their leg or foot in this quad. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger?

ALina has not won worlds -yet.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
She was there for the men's event and pairs apparently. She's a big fan of Yuzuru's I think.

Maybe she wanted the focus to be on the skaters who were there and not herself. Yuna is classy. I can see her not wanting to steal anyone elses spotlight.

She was probably wearing those huge Olympics glasses and had her hair up or something. :biggrin:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
She was probably wearing those huge Olympics glasses and had her hair up or something. :biggrin:

They did have some footage of her at either Pairs or the team event wearing a mask but then they got footage of her at the men's sans mask.

Anyway, I don't think she wanted to steal any of Alina or Evgenia's glory and moment in the sun. Makes me like her even more.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hanyu won in 2014 and he’s improved considerably since then. Perhaps Zagitova will be the same.
The biggest challenge to improving in part will be puberty whereas men usually get stronger- exceptions would be those with quick and major growth such as Nam who was a cute little boy and then just grew height wise but did not gain muscle to balance the growth for jumps.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This was a close competition. I thought Evgenia had it locked up after a perfect performance. I think Alina had an advantage with backloading, which was enough to tie her with Evgenia in the FS. It came down to that lead in the SP. There wasn't any funny judging. Evgenia did all she could, but it was not enough.

Kaetlyn showed she is a warrior and held it together the moment it counted. She now has three medals. A great career.

The American ladies looked exhausted. Mirai says she hit a rut in the ice on the 3A. It's too bad, but she really had nothing to prove after the team event. This was the right team selection. It would not be better with anyone else.

I agree Ashley probably wouldn't have placed much differently. Though at least with Ashley and her mouth it might have been a more interesting olympics though Mirai is trying - not in a good way.

I think things are very positive with Bradie and her scores. Looks like the judges like her- I mean right now her skating makes Maria Sotskova look like Ms.personality. Bradie is even flatter than Poiina Edmunds and Rachel Flatt.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I heard Zhenya’s going to work towards 2022 actually! Not sure if it’s going to work out (with the crazy force of juniors incoming in Russia) but I wish all the best of luck to her. I hope we can keep seeing her skate for the years to come and not disappear out of the scene

Well if she works on getting bigger jumps like Osmond and continuing her artistic development who knows. The problem she will face is a changing body and perhaps can she back load even more if the Japanese and Russian babies keep making strives to backloaded programs.

She could be a young Carolina - if that is the case she still has 2022,2026, 2030

Country
Russia
I tink they're quite different, though. Sotnikova, other than olympic gold, has not won a single international competition in seniors. In contrast, Alina has won them all.

Adelina won Golden Spin of Zagreb 2011, but yes, for Olympic champion it is not serious. Even no GP Events won by her.

Alina won all the competitions of this season, except Japan Open (3rd after Zhenya and Mai Mihara), but this semi-competition semi-show may not be counted.

Btw Alina went from nowhere to Olympic gold in very short time.
Before season 2015/2016 she was unknown, in 2015/2016 had not so good results, 9th at Junior Nationals. After that season I wrote "don't forget Zagitova, she may become promising in future"(I've seen her at local competitions). But at the next season she became world junior leader, and now - we all know.