2018 Olympic Figure Skating Mens SP | Page 163 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Mens SP

lavender

Record Breaker
I do feel bad for Nathan just seeing his face but I think he needs to mature (mental, skating etc) anyway. However I feel a tinge of guilt (not really) but I really wish Patrick was skating to his short....all the beautiful edging and smoothness would have been gorgeous to watch imo. Nathan is a little less smooth for my taste and I'm never blow away when he skates for this reason.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Am I the only one who enjoyed the German guy, Paul Fentz? :clap: :clap:

My husband was excited he was skating to Paul Anka. Should I admit that he owns that album? :slink:

(It's actually a pretty good album. Not sure I would skate to it tho, lol).

withwings

On the Ice
Alot of people here in the US are really mad they did not show Zhou -.

There rather have to be outcry WHY there is no Ross Minor, why there is Zhou at Olympics; how on earth one can dare to do such a PSYCHOLOGICA ABUSE, psychological cruelty to the skater! Not my business, though, I am not American but a psychological abuse against Ross seems to me a mind blowing. It was his place to be there, at Olympics, and he EARNED his place by being second at Nationals. And I am sure he would have skated much better than Zhou; not everything is predictable by logic only. Anyway, all the best to Zhou, not his fault how a decision was made.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Well, my evening was made seeing Hanyu skate so well. I really thought it was over for him. He's my favorite for the gold. Also, seeing Javier skate so well too was great to see. Not really much of a Shoma Uno fan. I hope Boyang pulls up for bronze (or better just as long as Javier gets an Oly medal)

Apparently NBC didn't show Zhou??? What's with that?!?!

Adam was good. Glad he didn't bomb after all the attention he's been getting.

Nathan? Are we sure he is not injured? I find it hard to believe he is a mental case. He is NATHAN CHEN. He's not a Nikodinov or Hubert. Oh well, he's young, and hopefully his body and mind will shape up by 2022.

Looking forward to tonight. Hanyu, Boyang, Fernandez is my prediction.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
There rather have to be outcry WHY there is no Ross Minor, why there is Zhou at Olympics; how on earth one can dare to do such a PSYCHOLOGICA ABUSE, psychological cruelty to the skater! Not my business, though, I am not American but a psychological abuse against Ross seems to me a mind blowing. It was his place to be there, at Olympics, and he EARNED his place by being second at Nationals. And I am sure he would have skated much better than Zhou; not everything is predictable by logic only. Anyway, all the best to Zhou, not his fault how a decision was made.

Zhou got 84.53 points.

Ross' SP scores this season: 69.84, 71.59, 71.64.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Medvedeva final slay count: 13

Boyang pushes Adam out of the final group.

NBC won't admit that they've ridiculously over-hyped Nathan. When I yell at the NBC announcers, it's not usually Terry that I'm yelling at, but to keep on calling Nathan the "gold medal favorite" after the team short...

That's one of the many many reasons I watch the livestream.

spread beagle

Rinkside
Probably.

Ok, that was mean. But being presented with Paul Fentz and then the top three right afterwards on German TV is really eye opening
Or maybe I just don't like his high pants.

I never liked high pants either but there's some truth to it.

I saw Paul Fentz live for the first time in 2013 at the NRW trophy and of all the German up and coming men there, he showed the most promise, imho. He was musical, a bit edgy, some purist skating skills in the making (a bit Liebers like).

Now fast forward 4 years. He's doing the quad, is Germany's number one and made it to the Olympics but I feel expression-wise he has not grown since then. At nationals I preferred an internationally little known guy named Catalin Dimitrescu. Still, in that highly competitive field it's a major accomplishment to even make it to the free. :agree:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow Adam in second group but top. Vincent in second group but bottom and Nathan nearly bottom of third. Nathan could have the skate of his life in the LP/FS and pull up to 7th but I doubt that will happen. I predicted no better than top six for Nathan but not this bad. Raf should be ashamed of himself!!! Now Nathan has to face the press and the public and that will hurt him like hell. Poor kid. Well maybe college is a good idea after all. He has not been the same since last year's 4CC.

He's only 18 and you want to pack him off to college? He could have 8 more years in him. I blame a lot of this on NBC.

Raatkirani

On the Ice
Someone said Dick Button still has his wit and sharpness about him. Why did he retire? I mean i would prefer him over Tara. Johnny is informative and opinionated, but Tara, while pleasant, adds little value.

I watched the Russian stream (thanks for the link!) and Julia speaks a lot about nerves, technical details and also is very perceptive in those “Button” ways- talking about a skater’s arm movements, positions for example. I want someone like that on NBC next to Johnny.

I think it is hard for Dick Button to travel all around the world at his age, but he is still very sharp, isn’t he? I agree with you about Tara. I find her to be too much of a chatterbox while Johnny is more thoughtful.

Putina

On the Ice
NBC hype thing is a double-edged sword. There are friends and family members of mine who tuned in to watch figure skating because they thought Chen would win the gold. Had Chen performed better, it could have been a first step for them to learn more about figure skating and to become a fan. Without the expectation they most likely would not have bothered to begin with. With Chen's medal chance gone the whole thing looks silly in retrospect, but you gotta start somewhere and rooting for your countrymen is often what gets you started. How many of us started watching figure skating because of some off-chance encounter with the hype surrounding a figure skater? I know I have.

ks777

Record Breaker
My husband was excited he was skating to Paul Anka. Should I admit that he owns that album? :slink:

I used to love Paul Mauriat... anyone know who that is?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

LOL I loved ABBA since Waterloo (yes, I am an old fart), and trust me, liking ABBA back then was NOT COOL.

In fact, there are a TON of cheesy AM radio songs from the 70s especially, that are totally not cool which I adore like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYFKS3xxF3M

Can you say totally OTT overproduced fake melodrama? I sure can, and I LOVE EVERY NANOSECOND OF IT!!!!

I smell a possible Pairs program here... ;)

People should like what they like. Cool can be so overrated.

ks777

Record Breaker
NBC hype thing is a double-edged sword. There are friends and family members of mine who tuned in to watch figure skating because they thought Chen would win the gold. Had Chen performed better, it could have been a first step for them to learn more about figure skating and to become a fan. Without the expectation they most likely would not have bothered to begin with. With Chen's medal chance gone the whole thing looks silly in retrospect, but you gotta start somewhere and rooting for your countrymen is often what gets you started. How many of us started watching figure skating because of some off-chance encounter with the hype surrounding a figure skater? I know I have.

It makes sense if your statement was for a country with no figure skating background.