2018 Olympic Season: Ice Dance | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Ice Dance

auser

Record Breaker
I have sad news but according to sports illustrated P/C has been replaced by P/B and are destined to win Olympic silver. :eyeroll:

hehehe....

Also, being chosen but SI to win usually turns into a curse for Canadians so things are looking up for P/B. Maybe they can bring back The Little Prince program! My favourite FD from 2014.
:agree:I realize that publications feel the need to get stories out as soon as possible in the current competitive environment. Maybe I am being oldschool, but I wish there was a bit more time for proofreading/editing :laugh:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I just discovered this new eye candy, with solid skating skills to boost, Adam Lukacs from Hungary. Will he and his partner be at the Olympics?

Yanovskaya & Lukacs finished 12th at Nebelhorn so no, they won't. They finished 14th at Europeans over two teams that did qualify for the Olympics so, generally speaking, things are looking up for Y&L. They are a quite new team (though she is a Junior World gold medalist from Russia). Y&L only competed once internationally last season. So plenty of room for improvement if they stick together.

danse

On the Ice
According to a new article, the, for lack of a better description, "Carmen crotch lift" from Moulin Rouge has been slightly modified to make it more "family friendly".

anyanka

Record Breaker
I laughed so hard at that article :laugh: Not knowing that Nathalie&Fabian aren't competiting anymore is one thing, but putting them into the Olympic medals predictions is... something. Maybe they should come back after all :laugh2: Someone did not do his/her homework...

Why not bring back Anissina and Peizerat while we're at it?? :laugh:

anyanka

Record Breaker
According to a new article, the, for lack of a better description, "Carmen crotch lift" from Moulin Rouge has been slightly modified to make it more "family friendly".

Considering how many thousands of people went to nationals and nobody complained about that "Carmen crotch lift", I'm guessing these are crib notes from NBC trying to avoid offending viewers during the so-called "Family Hour", the same hour they used to play such harmless family-friendly programs like Friends ... oh, wait. :eyeroll: :laugh:

LaArdilla

Medalist
I for one love Carmen crotch lift! If I could do something so athletic and difficult I would put it in every program, haha. It’s a rink, for heaven’s sake, not a church!

CAS

On the Ice
I wouldn't be surprised if the modified Carmen lift has occurred for similar reasons that they changed their goose life in Mahler just before the Vancouver games. There is some heavy lobbying going on behind the scenes and I wouldn't be shocked if some "oh my it's so vulgar" nonsense started making the rounds. They are competitors and still believe they have a shot at the gold so they will eliminate the possibility for some judges to use that as a reason to be offended.

A shame because it's a brilliant lift performed at incredible speed and a real highlight of the program. But who knows, the modified goose lift exit actually ended up looking better so this might be fine as well.

Bcash

Final Flight
I'm not surprised since many on these boards have complained about it. It's not vulgar per se but clunky and without meaning or beauty. Anyway I don't think the general audience can tell the difference. It was probably changed because there had been feedbacks from the judges.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I know this doesn't really matter but, those Shibutani's are good lookin'. They were just on the news here in Clovis and they were so poised and humble. Good luck to ALL the Ice Dancers in Korea.

olayolay

On the Ice
I'm not surprised since many on these boards have complained about it. It's not vulgar per se but clunky and without meaning or beauty. Anyway I don't think the general audience can tell the difference. It was probably changed because there had been feedbacks from the judges.

Lol, how is it without meaning? Their program is in large part about sex and jealousy and this is a very suggestive sexual move. It fits the character of the piece perfectly.

blackey

On the Ice
When P/C skipped the team I was almost sure P/C are locked for gold in the individual. They will get all level 4 I think.

I don't really see the connection between they skip team event and lock for gold? but I agree they're lock for gold.

StormyCloudss

On the Ice
Just hoping that all teams skate the best that they can, and the tech panel remains as strict as they have been for the team. The normal looking scores were a breath of fresh air! Even if it meant only one team getting Level 3 on their rhumba.....

slider11

Medalist
Anyone else concerned about the technical panel and judges? Based on the team event, The tech panel is VERY strict which is ok if it is applied equally to all teams. But the judges with their GOES and component marks seem to cast a blind eye to certain teams. How can Bobrova and Soliev have mid 9s in skating skills with all that waist bending and tugging/pulling? I like their FS and find it creative. But that doesn't change their defective posture and positions. I also think one of the judges (North American I think) was particularly harsh with Cappellinni and Lanote. It really stuck out. Maybe judge meetings will address some of this . I hope so.

peepsquick

Final Flight
I really liked their first version of the FD better: the raw sexual quality of it was what they were aiming for and it worked. I find this second version somewhat insipid. They toned it down too much IMO.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Anyone else concerned about the technical panel and judges? Based on the team event, The tech panel is VERY strict which is ok if it is applied equally to all teams. But the judges with their GOES and component marks seem to cast a blind eye to certain teams. How can Bobrova and Soliev have mid 9s in skating skills with all that waist bending and tugging/pulling? I like their FS and find it creative. But that doesn't change their defective posture and positions. I also think one of the judges (North American I think) was particularly harsh with Cappellinni and Lanote. It really stuck out. Maybe judge meetings will address some of this . I hope so.

Judges won't all be the same, there will be a French and a Russian judges this time for example (if they make the draw).

Tech Panel the same though. If it were not or he Timing issue, only C/L would have had level4 pattern. But calls were right, hope that every team is going to pay attention to this.