2018 Olympic Season: Ice Dance | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Ice Dance

KMK0902

On the Ice
Neither selecting Moulin Rouge nor Moonlight Sonata is taking much risk.

Especially Moonlight Sonata being almost identical in style to the last 3-4 years free dances done by P/C - they do the soft/lyrical style very well, but personally I find it boring. Very similar to Cappelini/lanotte's same kind of cutesy program year after year.

I wish teams would have to switch from style to style from year to year; I'm going a little over the top now (but I'm sure those who want to will understand)
but something along the line off: marsh year 1, a 50's song year 2, a Mozart piece year 3, a current hit year 4 etc etc

MelDee

Final Flight
I wish teams would have to switch from style to style from year to year; I'm going a little over the top now (but I'm sure those who want to will understand)
but something along the line off: marsh year 1, a 50's song year 2, a Mozart piece year 3, a current hit year 4 etc etc

Dunno if you heard about it, but there's this competition segment called the "short dance", in which teams have to take on different styles and rhythms ;)

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Not sure where this belongs but it's an interesting listen.

Jon Lane talks about the ice dance demonstration event in '68 and other things.

icedance

On the Ice
Very similar to Cappelini/lanotte's same kind of cutesy program year after year.

I feel that you don’t know exactly what is the story behind “Life is beautiful” FD. Nothing similar to Chaplin Medley or Dolce vita FD.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I feel that you don’t know exactly what is the story behind “Life is beautiful” FD. Nothing similar to Chaplin Medley or Dolce vita FD.

This year, Anna&Luca's FD is different. Okay you could say, "this begins with a more playful feel to it" but maybe because I don't know the story, I agree with you, it's nothing like their last 2 FD for me. It's a bit dramatic, sad, and the very first time I saw the ending at NHK, I felt like tearing up a little bit, especially thinking how it's going to look like in Milano ... :sad21:
And I won't go with this argument for C/L anyway. They rock every single Short Dance they do, there is not one SD they do badly : Latin, flamenco, jive, quickstep... I could actually put them in the "very versatile" category. So do what you do best in your FD. I remember the critics in 2014-2015 when they went out of the box... :drama:

icedance

On the Ice
This year, Anna&Luca's FD is different. Okay you could say, "this begins with a more playful feel to it" but maybe because I don't know the story, I agree with you, it's nothing like their last 2 FD for me. It's a bit dramatic, sad, and the very first time I saw the ending at NHK, I felt like tearing up a little bit, especially thinking how it's going to look like in Milano ... :sad21:
And I won't go with this argument for C/L anyway. They rock every single Short Dance they do, there is not one SD they do badly : Latin, flamenco, jive, quickstep... I could actually put them in the "very versatile" category. So do what you do best in your FD. I remember the critics in 2014-2015 when they went out of the box... :drama:

You’re absolutely right!

alain06fr

On the Ice
Especially Moonlight Sonata being almost identical in style to the last 3-4 years free dances done by P/C - they do the soft/lyrical style very well, but personally I find it boring. Very similar to Cappelini/lanotte's same kind of cutesy program year after year.

The interesting thing with P/C is they never tried to copy anyone else. Since they started together, they were focused in their own vison of ice dance, their own artistic values, etc. BTW, until 2015, they were not systematically used to watch the programs of their competitors. Step by step and starting from the 2014/15 season, P/C developed a unique style - well THEIR style - which requires high technical and skating skills. No one else than P/C is able to deliver this style made of softness,

I wish teams would have to switch from style to style from year to year; I'm going a little over the top now (but I'm sure those who want to will understand) but something along the line off: marsh year 1, a 50's song year 2, a Mozart piece year 3, a current hit year 4 etc etc

First, as Meldee pointed out, the short dance is there to force all teams to dance on a given tempo/rhythm! Second and moreover, the free dance (you know "FREE") is a nice counterpart to the short dance to let each team give freedom to its creativity, its feelings, its vision of ice dance etc so NO WAY TO DESTROY THE FD!!!
Last but not least, P/C's art applies to any kind of music. For the 20th time, there's nothing in common between the Mozart Concerto, Rain in your black eyes, Stillness Oddudua and Moonlight Sonata as music pieces! The magic of P/C is their artistry, their connection and their skating skills.

KMK0902

On the Ice
Dunno if you heard about it, but there's this competition segment called the "short dance", in which teams have to take on different styles and rhythms ;)

Oh, I've heard of it :laugh: and I like it :love:, BUT I would still like to see different types of music from year to year for the free dance as well.... fast/slow/with lyrics/without lyrics....... But hey, that's just me; just my opinion.

And for the record, I know the story about C/L - I like them, but again, just my personal opinion

all that

Final Flight
The problem with artistic styles is that they're so subjective. Not everyone is affected the same way by a particular style. And when one team focuses on a particular style, it's easy enough for detractors to pigeon-hole a team into a particular style and say that they look uncomfortable in any style other than their own. That's how ice dance politics works, and I've already begun to hear that talk from various commentators. Now that PC have obviously mastered this style, I do hope they begin to showcase others in the next quad. Then people will see they are dominant in every style. But first things first. They will win Oly gold as champions of this style, and then win Oly gold next quad as champions of whatever style they choose next. :)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Let me get this straight.

A team using feedback to further improve their programs is bad?

By this logic, what are teams who have to get a new program altogether? Compost?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have to laugh at the idea of wanting the Free Dance to not really be free. :rolleye:

Kittosuni

Medalist
World Ranking/ Olympics Grouping

Papadakis/Cizeron
Bobrova/Soloviev
Virtue/Moir
Hubbell/Donohue
Cappellini/Lanotte
SHibs
______

Choke/Bates
PWeaver/Poje
Gugnard/Fabri
Gilles/Poirer
Beudry/Sorensen
Muramoto/Reed
_______

Coomes/Buckland
Kaliszek/Spodyriev
Zagorski/Guirerro
Lauriault/LeGac
Nazarova/Nikitin
Wang/Liu

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Bobrova/Soloviev getting all the points with a hundred competitions per year :laugh: And they were right after 2015 and 2016.
3 teams from Gadbois (out of 4) are in the first 4th, ad Shibs + C/B did not get Challenger points since they skipped it. And Euros got C/L in the top 5 too.
I'm hoping to see H/D & Shibs in different groups for the SD. Same with V/M and P/C, same with C/L and B/S and C/B and WeaPo. Too difficult to be true, but I would prefer that. :biggrin: It'll keep the interest so high for 2 whole groups.

Bcash

Final Flight
I just discovered this new eye candy, with solid skating skills to boost, Adam Lukacs from Hungary. Will he and his partner be at the Olympics?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I have sad news but according to sports illustrated P/C has been replaced by P/B and are destined to win Olympic silver. :eyeroll:

hehehe....

Also, being chosen but SI to win usually turns into a curse for Canadians so things are looking up for P/B. Maybe they can bring back The Little Prince program! My favourite FD from 2014.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I have sad news but according to sports illustrated P/C has been replaced by P/B and are destined to win Olympic silver. :eyeroll:

hehehe....

Also, being chosen but SI to win usually turns into a curse for Canadians so things are looking up for P/B. Maybe they can bring back The Little Prince program! My favourite FD from 2014.

I laughed so hard at that article :laugh: Not knowing that Nathalie&Fabian aren't competiting anymore is one thing, but putting them into the Olympic medals predictions is... something. Maybe they should come back after all :laugh2: Someone did not do his/her homework...

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I laughed so hard at that article :laugh: Not knowing that Nathalie&Fabian aren't competiting anymore is one thing, but putting them into the Olympic medals predictions is... something. Maybe they should come back after all :laugh2: Someone did not do his/her homework...

Maybe all French people just look the same to them.:devil: :laugh:

charlotte14

Medalist
I think there is a high possibility that V/M will win the team event and P/C will win the individual event. Skate Canada want that team gold.