2018 Russian FS Championship Men SP | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2018 Russian FS Championship Men SP

riminin

Rinkside
When you compare 4Lz, Samarin's picking technique is so different from Kolyada's and I prefer Kolyada's much more. It's similar to Jin's or Chen's and I really hope that Kolyada can stabilize his 4Lz and that this type of picking technique for toe jumps prevails in Men's field in the future.

ewdokia

On the Ice
Whoa. You go so fast from your fear to certainty to Segei's agony. You ask me to imagine someone else's emotional state resulting from your imagined scenario?

This scenario – younger skaters being pushed at cost of older ones – unfortunately has already happened more than once in Russia. So it’s not my imagination. At times officials even openly announced such plans before the competition started. And I’ve seen skaters totally throwing away nerves with it, like Kostia Menshow and his coach 3 years ago. If my worries turn out to be unjustified, I’d be just very happy about it. :)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Who were your favourites today from those generally non-hyped & little lower classified Men today?

Two names caught my attention:

Vladimir Samoilov: dazzling quadruple salchow and surprising amount of polish for someone that I watch for the first time (and who finished just 17th in his debut senior nationals as I read)

Artem Lezheev: his strong musicality left a lasting impression on me. No quad, but the quality of his elements is satisfying for sure. This random fall though before his last spin though ... oh well.

Egor Murashov! He is very charming, musical & has a unique style all his own.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Who were your favourites today from those generally non-hyped & little lower classified Men today?

Two names caught my attention:

Vladimir Samoilov: dazzling quadruple salchow and surprising amount of polish for someone that I watch for the first time (and who finished just 17th in his debut senior nationals as I read)

Artem Lezheev: his strong musicality left a lasting impression on me. No quad, but the quality of his elements is satisfying for sure. This random fall though before his last spin though ... oh well.
Samoilov was dealing with a back injury last season and nearly retired in May - he only stuck around because Plushenko took him in and treated his back properly (don't want to hate on Eteri but she didn't).

Lezheev was also injured, actually he didn't even jump 3A earlier this season. His coach is Yulia Kulibanova who also trains Igor Efimchuk in juniors and shares ice with Valentina Chebotareva (Kolyada's and Konstantinova's coach).

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Samoilov was dealing with a back injury last season and nearly retired in May - he only stuck around because Plushenko took him in and treated his back properly (don't want to hate on Eteri but she didn't).

Lezheev was also injured, actually he didn't even jump 3A earlier this season. His coach is Yulia Kulibanova who also trains Igor Efimchuk in juniors and shares ice with Valentina Chebotareva (Kolyada's and Konstantinova's coach).

Thank you for your information regarding these two boys :)

cell

On the Ice
Aliev has my favorite short program of the top men. He has very nice line and carriage.

What is this trainwreck of a music that Samarin is skating to???? Beethoven is rolling in his grave.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
My jaw dropped at Samarin's total score and also his 4Lz3T. Having watched video of his SP and that of Kolyada's, I'm really impressed with his jumps and find Kolyada's jump errors not accounted for enough in his scores.
Really. I normally prefer Kolyada by a lot, it's SP was so great on the Cup of China, but today's performance was clearly something that don't deserve those points.

I hope that Samarin can win and Voronov may take the podium.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Judging from the protocols, this was an exciting competition. High level!

I expected Kolyada to be up there, and Voronov is my sentimental favorite, but I have to say I became a Samarin fan this year, and I liked Aliev the only time I saw him skate.

So, all in all, I'm happy with the results... and now to look for video.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
This scenario – younger skaters being pushed at cost of older ones – unfortunately has already happened more than once in Russia. So it’s not my imagination. At times officials even openly announced such plans before the competition started. And I’ve seen skaters totally throwing away nerves with it, like Kostia Menshow and his coach 3 years ago. If my worries turn out to be unjustified, I’d be just very happy about it. :)

As much as I dislike the dirty tricks of the Russian Fed and hate how they treated Kostya, I think Sergei's position is a little bit different. Sergei has a great track record this season and there is no logical justification to deny him a spot at Euros if he earns it fair and square. Kostya was not as consistent and certainly never made a GP final (or earned any GP medal, for that matter). Dima, who I also love, has not strongly established himself this season as he is still recovering from injury. I'll be very surprised if he holds up through the LP.

Nothing is written in stone yet. I know all about the Rusfed's political games but I can't believe they would send a (presumably) weaker man to Euros just to give Samarin a boost. That doesn't make sense to me. If he wins this then he'll be getting stupidly inflated PCS just like Kolyada does now and Sergei (or Dima) will be held down anyway.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'm shocked to see Petrov and Kovtun so far down the list. I didn't think Kovtun would be in the top group, but I didn't expect to see him down that far. Do I dare watch the videos of those two? LOL. I've only watched Samarin, Kolyada, Voronov and Dmitriev so far.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I believe that if Voronov´s jumps are successful in the freeskate, he will be on the podium. He has a good freeskate program, which I like a lot plus he has been really strong this season. Of course a lot depends on how Samarin and Aliev will skate. If they will be really consistent in their jumping Voronov will not go to Europeans. The big question of course is, will they be that consistent???

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I hope Voronov's season doesn't end here because it's been going so well so far and given his age, he could retire after this one, although I don't know anything about that. How many spots do they have for Euros again, two or three?

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I believe that if Voronov´s jumps are successful in the freeskate, he will be on the podium. He has a good freeskate program, which I like a lot plus he has been really strong this season. Of course a lot depends on how Samarin and Aliev will skate. If they will be really consistent in their jumping Voronov will not go to Europeans. The big question of course is, will they be that consistent???

I think Sergei has a very good chance of ending up on the podium, since Dima is still not at the top of his game right now. But after such a succesful season, getting the chance to skate only in Euros seems way too little for him.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think Sergei has a very good chance of ending up on the podium, since Dima is still not at the top of his game right now. But after such a succesful season, getting the chance to skate only in Euros seems way too little for him.

Oh, I think the first step for Voronov is to get to the Europeans and second to stand on the podium there = to get to the Olympics if he is at least the second best Russian skater at the Europeans.