2018 Skate America Mens Short Program | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2018 Skate America Mens Short Program

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Will we see a skater from Malaysia on the podium for the first time ever in the Grand Prix?

Also, go Matteo!

When I saw that Matteo was skating to Volare, I thought it would be Dean Martin. I was disappointed, because I think he could rock the house to something old-school like that. How fun would that be?

Still, he skated within himself and very well, and I enjoyed it very much.

Overall, too many flowy lyrical pieces for my taste. After a while, I was actually thirsting for someone to skate to Hava Nagila with a big Star of David on the chest, or an old school Russian folk song with those squat kicks.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
When I saw that Matteo was skating to Volare, I thought it would be Dean Martin. I was disappointed, because I think he could rock the house to something old-school like that. How fun would that be?

Still, he skated within himself and very well, and I enjoyed it very much.

Overall, too many flowy lyrical pieces for my taste. After a while, I was actually thirsting for someone to skate to Hava Nagila with a big Star of David on the chest, or an old school Russian folk song with those squat kicks.

I do wish Alexei would pull off another program in 'Chambermaid Swing' vein or Voronov/Brezina do 'Footloose' program:)

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
You are not wrong there [emoji23]

Please say hi to Hugo! And we will meet to cheer for Laurine later I guess (me at 5 AM on Sunday) :)
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I will tell him. I hope that I'll be home in time from my performance to catch Laurine. Dying to see her. Please cheer her on for me if I'm not here! :)

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Julian was amazing- my surprise favorite of the night.

Nathan was having fun- and that triple axel was the best I’ve seen from him.

Mostly I am happy because I got to see my favorite man Sergei Voronov in person. But skate clean!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Ok so I have watched much of the men's sp. I have to say while it is early in the season I am not overly impressed. I do agree Nathan's performance quality was good/improved and engageable. \The hair is distracting and i think it is sad that there is so much discussion about it but yeah,it is kind of distracting. It has that animae wildness but that is a bit of cliche with Mura and Takahashi and Kevin Reynolds - oh boy Reynolds has fallen from grace. His last few skates have been horrible. Here is a former top ten skater now probably fighting to remain in the top ten in his nation. I hope he enjoys skating because his "comeback has not looked great. He never was an artist and everyone has caught up and passsed him technically. The programs were all a bit rough and underwhelming. Have no idea why they changed Vornoov - who I would have had higher in the standings. Nathan's program was definitely entertaining but his jumps/spins were not impressive.if it were not th at he is world champion I amnot sure his pcs woudl be sohigh. Good work considering al by Jimmy and Vincent but they too have some ways to go. Poor Canada. They are bleeding for talent it would appear. Nam really needs to bring it this year or perhaps become "dumped" in favor of young promising Canadian men. He needs to well really up th econsistency on the quads and up the artistry (pcs) or at least really improve one of them. I realize his body changed a lot but he haas had two years or so to adjust - to to put out or... I really hope he brings it in th el ong but i fear mediocrity at best. Vincent and Jimmy must be eying those remaining US spots and knowing that a ponytailless Brownis trying to regain his spot on the world team. Brezina, Vornov etal were rather error proned and boring. No one really sold their programs other than Nathan. Maybe his FS will shut up those who say he can't combine school and skating - not to the person who suggested he go part time I don't think Yale allows that at least in the first year - that was what one poster shared). Let's hope the fs brings better skates.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Loved watching Nathan! And my love affair with Jimmy Ma is still on! U.S. you're doing well! And it looks like Canada is struggling.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I tried to post once in this thread last night, and the server could not accept that I was going to compliment Nathan :laugh2:

That Nathan is the one I saw at SOI, the one who looks happy to skate. I could care less about how many quads men, ladies, boys, girls or kittens land, but that performance quality:agree:

Less jumps, more performance. I’m a happy camper:)

I know what you mean. The piano was pleasant but unremarkable for me. He should have used the Italian original by Domenico Modugno. I painted my hands and feet blue and soared up into the blue sky, flying and singing. Suggests a cool costume, too. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4IjJav7xbg

glorybox6

Final Flight
Yee and Rizzo should be in the top three behind Nathan -- really enjoyed both of their performances.

As for Chen, the choreography felt a bit too frantic to me -- it's like he was moving to notes of the music that didn't exist -- but I appreciate the ambitiousness of Shae-Lynn's choreography.

Brezina felt very overscored in PCS and the "Who Wants to Live Forever" music choice feels a bit on the nose for someone who's been on the scene eternally. :slink:

And Jimmy Ma was a lot of fun and had a higher placement than I was expecting. Good for him!

waterfall braid

On the Ice
I really enjoyed Nathan’s program, it was different for him and he seemed to be having lots fun with it!
It’s very exciting to see Julian skate so well, I hope he has a good free too.
Enjoyed Ponsarts program as well.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I know I am the minority here. Nathan went all for his performance, but his posture (the hunched back) looked horrible throughout the program, more distracting than his hair. I don't think his ss improved from last season either. The performance from Jimmy Ma was more organic and more exciting for me.

I'd say I like Sergei's program most. It is hard nowadays to find a top man that has an elegant and masculine style.

shine

Record Breaker
Came home from work (and will go out two hours later), and currently just watched Nathan Chen and Sergei Voronov (will watch the others after dinner). I did not like their hairdos. :noshake: Some thoughts:

- I honestly did not expect Nathan Chen's best jump to be his 3A. Sure, the 3Lz+3T was very nice, but I was expecting something like 4S+3T. Not quite disappointment, more like... um, "Oh, great height there"? Appreciated but not wowed. Jumps aside, he was very much committed to the performance and the program was well made, but I'm not sure whether it fits his style 100%. Maybe it's just because Takahashi Daisuke left a strong impression on me, but to me Caravan has a very... um, uncle-esque vibe that requires uncle-esque cheek and swagger. Nathan Chen has cheek, but his cheek feels, um, young(this feels so awkward when written, arrgh). I don't think he doesn't pull off the program, he does, it's just that I'd prefer him do that when he's over twenty.

- Sergei Voronov changed his music, right? I'm pretty sure that wasn't the song I heard at Nepala. Anyway, I'm like :eek:hwell: on this. It's... okay. I don't get anything else. Oh, I still don't like the costume.
It’s true it’s Caravan but it’s a totally different rendition than the the one Takahachi skated with a completely different vibe? This one has a very festive/carnival feel so I don’t think it really makes sense to compare it to Dai’s.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Loved watching Nathan! And my love affair with Jimmy Ma is still on! U.S. you're doing well! And it looks like Canada is struggling.

Nathan was fun but his jumps usually his strength are now suspect it appears. And Canada is more than struggling; they really look like they are in trouble - I am sure they will word it that they are just redeveloping, this allows the future to rise up and get eperience, etc but the fact is the notion of US, Russia and Canada as being the top teams and WTT add Japan since the rules were made for them well now it doesn't matter Canada looks like its dynasty might be over if they don't do something. The men rely on the again American now Canadian Messing, the ladies well the top three are out and realistically the only two with any hope are definitely out, pairs is rebuilding and dancing has gone down to the thrid Canadian team from last year. Not good at all. But USA is looking good, real good in men's, dance and ladies - all medal threats!

VegMom

On the Ice
Why was it so late at night?
I’m baffled by that. It’s a well known fact that ALL athletic performance declines when athletes are tired. Scheduling an event so late seems like it‘s just asking for more falls than normal.

I have CBS Gold but watched my favorites on YouTube because it was so late and because CBS’ website is not very user friendly - even though I’m logged into it, every time it tries to re-sell me a subscription instead of making it easy for me to watch.

I liked Nathan Chen and Jimmy Ma best. Admittedly I did not watch them all.