2018 Skate America Mens Short Program | Page 31 | Golden Skate

2018 Skate America Mens Short Program

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
... sorry, I fail to see the relevancy in comparing their competitive records in regards to assessing technical issues? Just because you can do things doesn't mean you're qualified to judge them. Don't strain yourself reaching.

I’m sorry, you’re right. The name Shin Amano is just such a trigger for me that I couldn’t help it.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
so yeah, Vincent got dinged -1 for starting his program too late. I did think he was taking an unusually long amount of time, but... :palmf:

waxel

Final Flight
So many interesting things to discuss ... why am I concentrating on Nathan's hideous hair? (Well, on my own behalf... it was really bad.)

Those who watched on NBC Sports Gold... what did you think? Despite several bad camera angles, I thought the coverage was really solid.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I watched. Michał landed beutiful 4S-3T! I can't breeathe! Someone, please gif it! :love: He wouldn't be himself though without mistakes so of course he had to pop :palmf: That's the guy I know and love:biggrin:

And well, we have pretty laidback Nathan now instead of no-chill Nathan from before. I mean, only one quad? And with mistake? Unprecedented for him :p I really liked the program and how much fun he had with it :hap10: The comp had lots of mistakes, so these without scored realtively better. The diffrences in scores are small, so I can esily see the 7th place in SP medaling overall. Props for Jimmy Ma for fun song, it made me smile ;)

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Juuuuuuuliiiiiiiaaaannnn!!!!!!:hap93::yahoo:
Just checked the results to see that Julian is 3rd with the best SP of his career!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Laughed all the way when Nathan was on the ice. Seriously I believe the uni experience helped (in a way).

I was grinning by the second jump, and outright cackling in glee during the StSq. I'm reserving full judgement until I see the FS, but I wonder if being away from everyone and his own person at college, and also away from the pressure of the Olympic season, is doing him wonders. He looked so incredibly free.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Now that I can access the forum, I can say that I love Nathan's SP this season. I really like seeing his personality shine through such a fun program.

Edit: Julian was amazing and also very robbed.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/1053555617770553345

Gambill [about Zhou]: "He did the quad Lutz right in front of us and the landing looked backwards to me. The flip was even better."

Well ....... you know what they say about better not to speak at all and be thought a fool ... :rolleye:

Well, Polish ID team were kind of put at that place at Worlds after some complaints voiced on judging for their SD levels from what I remember, I would wait for competition to finish...

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Feels like the technical panel has become extraordinarily rigorous and the PCS scoring even more bizarre this season.

I really don't see a rhyme or reason to the PCS scoring except that Chen and Brezina have reputation on their side. (Not that Nathan didn't give a great performance -- but so did Julian and Matteo.)

Looks like it's gonna be another head-smacker of a season for me with the PCS.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
What an event...lots of level 2s in spins and steps, URs, pops and the big pop of GS server.
I don't even know what to say about Nathan's program. I didn't like his outfit and the new look that reminds me of T. Mura, which was among my favourite skaters. I miss old, younger Nathan. The program is funny but it's kind of all over the place, I need to watch it again, maybe it grows on me.
Julian should be second, if not even ahead of the pack, as he was the only guy with no mistakes, but a lousy GOE.
OMG, Canadian guys were not there. I am not concerned by Nam's jumps, but all his spins were level 3, and level 2 in steps (I know he stumbled).
The new scoring system is cutting deep, but the GOE among judges is wilder than ever.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I was grinning by the second jump, and outright cackling in glee during the StSq. I'm reserving full judgement until I see the FS, but I wonder if being away from everyone and his own person at college, and also away from the pressure of the Olympic season, is doing him wonders. He looked so incredibly free.

Yup exactly what I was thinking. I wondered if he wanted literal space (a few thousand miles) by choosing to be a Yalie. Whatever, he's just really enjoying himself.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Kevin

that is...quite the hairdo

well...better than the old one :biggrin:

How do you think he looks in this outfit? :cool14:

his this the stuff of nightmares?

well none can say this wasn't an event full of surprises! overscores, underscores, new talents fighting their way in and old uncles still rocking.

Ma: quite a performer this boy! I was dancing with him in his step sequence.

Zhi Jie YEE: he came as a surprise for me and he’s messing with my prediction game :laugh: by the look on his face he surprised himself too :biggrin: the score is too low especially compared to others who bombed their program away. Anyway very good first outing on gp circuit.

Brezina: team uncles!!!! Another one who messed with my prediction game even bombing a jump XD beautiful combo (it probably saved the whole program), still I don’t know how he is second.

Zhou: what kind of deduction is late start? Lots of underrotations but still an improvement from last year.

Rizzo: finally I got to appreciate this program! I find it suits him very well and it works better without an unsteady quad, I guess sometimes less is more.

Chen and his victory perm :biggrin:: I like this program and the fact he’s focusing also on the interpretation, he looked pretty much into this Balkan piece and gave strong gypsy vibes (maybe it’s because the hair :laugh:)

Voronov and his 70s pijama: I can’t be clean to save his life (why, sergei, why??? :cry:)

Bychenko: I’m glad to see him better after his debacle in finlandia

Ps: as an Italian woman anytime I see someone so thin like kevin Reynolds I feel compelled to feed him lasagna (Italian grandma complex :biggrin:)

Will we see a skater from Malaysia on the podium for the first time ever in the Grand Prix?

Also, go Matteo!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Will we see a skater from Malaysia on the podium for the first time ever in the Grand Prix?

Also, go Matteo!

I really hope that Julian will pull this off, he is just so special out there, an authentic performer regardless if I like program or not. And if Matteo would compliment the podium, it would be the same situation as at last NHK for me - rainbows and unicorns :) :) :), but I honestly pull for them all, especially these who had troubles today like Morisi.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

After shaking my first giggles out at 7 AM after watching this SP, I do agree on this freedom bit. He seems way more at ease with competition surrounding, kind of absorbing now the experience that just moving through the drill and watch it a bit 'detached'. While I guess it is hard to jiggle Yale with competing, there is a new brand of confidence around Nathan I feel - more stress is put into pulling out the best effort and enjoying the process than just be perfect for all costs. I think the hair, the styling with this unkemptness around it adds to this freedom feel (not feeling the vest tho, it looks like best man unwinding after tiast:laugh:).

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hey folks,
We had a huge spike which caused our brand new (and very expensive) server to go wonky. :curse: Techs are working on it and we hope to have everything resolved soon.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

So it was usage that caused the crash, and not Kevin's hair?