2018 US Championships Sr. Short Dance | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr. Short Dance

synteis

Medalist
Hubbell/Donohue is the only team in the world besides Virtue/Moyer to have a SD that doesn't look like just a generic Latin dance tom. I love to see that. Was sort of hoping they'd break 80!

I know the Shibs have been consistently outscoring them, but any chance of an upset?

seeing Hubbell/Donohue and Chock/Bates practically back to back and having in mind how Shibutanis' SD looks like, I kind of sense that Madison/Zach and Maia/Alex benefit more/create better overall impression by the program/performance by how their music flows and the fluidity of transitioning of it. The rhythms chosen are very easy on eyes AND ears to perceive as a continous unity in my opinion, which makes those 2 SDs very attractive accessible-wise. Madison/Evan's SD is very high energy and with rhythms chosen very much matching their aesthetic and movement, but I simply find the construction of musical arrangement too jarring and abrupt...which could play a factor in some of PCS components

Yeah I definitely agree that H/D do latin really well. It really seems to click with them. I like how their music has different moods over the course which they match in their skating. Lends itself v well to making a narrative..

beki

Medalist
I think H/D are a bit better than the Shibs this year, but won’t take #1 from them. The Shibs have put so much into their brand and endorsements, they’ve become some of the American faces of Pyeongchang. Not a dig, just an external factor. They’re also more consistent. Either team is Olympic bronze-worthy, but why would the fed switch horses in midstream.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I want Chock/Bates to climb higher after this quad. I feel like they've got the potential to, and I wonder what is holding them back. Music choices, or politics? Or are Hubbe//Donahue just that much better technically?

I don't think it's politics, since they were #1 before and got passed. The Shibs and H/D just improved, IMO. So I guess it is technique and perhaps choreography.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
If H/D are that far ahead of C/B with a mistake on the twizzle, the judges are sending a message. And you don't need Western Union to know what it is.

Looks like H/B, my sentimental faves, had a good SD. Phew! Here's to a magical FD for them. I'd like to see them lead next quad.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Yeah I definitely agree that H/D do latin really well. It really seems to click with them. I like how their music has different moods over the course which they match in their skating. Lends itself v well to making a narrative..

my take after the season so far is that Madison/Zach's SD is a 'sensuale romantica' type of dance, full of closeness, eye contact, this chemistry spark going between them and between their movement to the music, Shibutanis' SD is for me 'fiesta' type of dance: fun, colourful, cheeky, inviting to move, dance and enjoy the moment, sourcing a lot from Latin culture and there's a bit of a problem to say what mood/type of dance represents SD of Madison/Evan to be honest...It's a bit of everything at once I feel and that could create a dissonant impression overall. I do wish for 'Vivir mi vida' replacement (loving that song though), for something more 'Latina tropicana', more sexy than joyous...

ETA - to add something, I do think that a Latin theme for SD requires a really strongly thought out concept and direction to push it through and make it work, strong technique is very important, but I can't help, but sense that SDs with decisive, strong narrative given to it, a 'theme' made, succeeded more this season, especially when music, costume, choreo design aligned with team's capabilities and style.

LaArdilla

Medalist
Guys, I can't watch the stream, could you tell me which coach travelled with H/D to this event?

TCAngel18

Medalist
Ugh I hate that awkward pre-group stuff they do to pump up the audience. They do the same dang thing in Gymnastics with John Macready. Barf.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Guys, what stream does work? I've clicked on the Chinese one but it just shows a lot of Chinese characters...

Last edited:

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Is Alex's shirt darker or has he gotten paler? Maia's dress looks a little different too?