2018 Worlds Ladies FS | Page 137 | Golden Skate

2018 Worlds Ladies FS

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I think it was appropriate to point out that Alina was not the only one skating at 10pm, but Kaetlyn was too, and yet she managed to put it together. Since the other poster was using the 10pm thing to explain why Alina was tired. I think all of the girls were tired, but Alina had the extra burden of being the OC just a month ago.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I do feel for some of the posters here who are so frustrated with Osmond's win. Yes, it's unfortunate that the judges had to watch the competition live in the arena with a front row view of the proceedings and didn't have the benefit of being in the basements of these posters with the superior vantage point of their cell phone, iPad, computer or television. But what can you do? :confused2:

I've been reviewing this thread to relive the Ladies FS and see some of the discussion I missed in real-time... but this by far is my favourite shady post. :laugh2:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
According to Tarasova, Alina grew up 3 cm (1.2") since the Olympics. As the body changes, the muscle memory becomes unreliable.

If she continues to grow as fast she'll have to relearn all her jumps. That might not be so easy.

I noticed that Eteri's girls do not jump too high and do not travel too far across the ice. Eteri jumps look more like "up and straight down" in place while rotating super fast, when compared to someone like Kaetlyn Osmond or Miraj Nagasu, who jump higher and much further out.

I wonder if the difference in technique means that in order to do a perfect "Eteri jump" a skater needs a certain type of body (small-framed, svelte and short)?

Skaters like Trusova do jump higher... and Zagitova does have good jump height - her 3Z+3L for example has actually improved from last season to this one, IMO. At Worlds she struggled in both programs with it, but was landing them in practice. I can't recall exactly, but I think she was even doing 3-3-3 combos in practice at Worlds, or at least doing more than required (e.g. a 3F+3T in her SP runthroughs, in case she missed the 3Z+3L).

I'm surprised that Alina's body changed so much in a month causing her not to land her jumps.

I'm surprised Osmond's body changed so much in the past two months, causing her to land her jumps! :biggrin: (tongue-in-cheek of course)

And FWIW, Zagitova was landing her jumps easily in practice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeB7UBP0e6U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWJA4EM0oIE

Daniil also said that she failed to cope with her nerves.

millie

Medalist
There's a difference between talking about a skater and dragging them into literally everything

The last time I looked this was the 2018 Worlds Ladies Free Skate. I think there is a thread in the Edge about Russian Ladies. You still can’t stand the mention of Kaetlyn’s name. You have to realize that she is the 2018 Ladies World Champion.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
It's not that I can't stand the mention of her name. I can. It's that not everything needs to be made about her.
It could just be "it's unfortunate that Carolina didn't live up to the expectations after her short" instead of "...but Kaetlyn was did."
Or "it's wonderful that Wakaba was able to get onto the podium" instead of "...but Kaetlyn was simply better"
Can't we discuss the merits or potential of someone without comparing her to Kaetlyn, just once?

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Funny how some had no problem putting KO down if she had a tough skate, but when she peaked in her season as many of us predicted she would, and now reflecting upon it in the Ladies World FS Thread, we fans get, ''why are we talking about Kaetlyn again, its not like she's World Champion or anything...oh wait,...'' :scratch2:

Millie, NanaPat and others, never let anyone kill your joy!

russianfan

Match Penalty
This thread has won the contest among the most toxic threads on this forum :biggrin:
It's also interesting to notice that junior competition threads are much more "mature" than this

russianfan

Match Penalty
Just like past completions......Kaetlyn, Carolina, Gabby, Wakaba all fell and Alina won because they all fell. Isn’t that how you win because someone else falls or someone else is better. You once said that Alina never falls (poor darlin’) and made fun of Kaetkyn not being able to stand erect....well Worlds showed that you should never say “never”.

can't remember Kaetlyn falling at Olympics :biggrin: Alina has won because she is a better skater than anyone else

russianfan

Match Penalty
That is true but Kaetlyn won Worlds because she was better than everyone else. 🙃

She won because she was better at this certain moment than anyone who was participating there :) There is a difference. She most likely wouldn't have won if Evgenia was healthy and participating(simply judging by the scores - Evgenia almost always scores higher even with small mistakes), but that doesn't take away nice performance by Kaetlyn :thumbsup:

russianfan

Match Penalty
You are still not accepting the fact that Kaetlyn is the World champion Because...Because Alina beat Evgenia at the Olympics because she was better than her. Who would have thought that! Whose to say that if Evgenia was at Worlds, that Kaetlyn would not have beaten her just like she beat Alina. Just like you said that Alina don’t fall, Evgenia has fallen before also. With Evgenia doing Media now and with the way Alina was feeling after Worlds, who knows.

Honestly, i don't even understand what you're trying to say(or implying). Probably my english skills are not enough.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Just like past completions......Kaetlyn, Carolina, Gabby, Wakaba all fell and Alina won because they all fell. Isn’t that how you win because someone else falls or someone else is better. You once said that Alina never falls (poor darlin’) and made fun of Kaetkyn not being able to stand erect....well Worlds showed that you should never say “never”.

The weird thing is, Alina has fallen this season. Her SP especially was a weak point but here it was the reverse (and same for Osmond). So her falling wasn't out of the realm of reason. Ice is slippery after all.

But how typical for some people to make excuses for her having a bad skate or trying to diminish Osmond winning by essentially saying "the only reason she won is because she skated lights out and those who were supposed to beat her had meltdowns".. ie she only won because she happened to skate better, lol.

Well we could retrospectively say the only reason Arakawa won the Olympics is because Slutskaya fell and didn't do her 3-3s. The only reason Hughes won was because Michelle Kwan was off her game. The only reason Mao lost to Kim was because she didn't land the rest of her planned content. Etc. Etc. Etc.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't know if anyone has pointed it out here yet... but Trusova with her other worldly scored higher at WJC than everyone here (with one less element at that). :eek: :clap:

That's got to be a first!

russianfan

Match Penalty
You are still not accepting the fact that Kaetlyn is the World champion Because...Because Alina beat Evgenia at the Olympics because she was better than her. Who would have thought that! Whose to say that if Evgenia was at Worlds, that Kaetlyn would not have beaten her just like she beat Alina. Just like you said that Alina don’t fall, Evgenia has fallen before also. With Evgenia doing Media now and with the way Alina was feeling after Worlds, who knows. Did you see the photos of the girls that Kaetlyn had on her Facebook page. Kaetlyn, Alina and Evgenia, in Japan, with their arms around each other with the Olympics and Worlds behind them....no animosity, just knowing that figure skating is a sport and don’t dictate who they are and how they treat each other. 🙂

What do you mean by "accepting"? It's not like anyone can take away her medal or something.
Has she won Worlds? Yes.
Is Kaetlyn the best female skater in the world currently? No. If she would be, she would won Olympics, or at least any other serious international competitions in the past years. In fact she never even was close.
It's actually somewhat reminds me of Sotnikova's situation, with only difference being that it was Olympics in her case.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The point of any championship is to determine which skater is best on that particular day (or during that particular event).

There are no lifetime achievement medals in skating, other than some Hall of Fame type recognition. And there shouldn't be.

At the Olympics, one skater was the best. At the WC, it was someone else.

I'm not even sure what this back-and-forth is all about.

russianfan

Match Penalty
The point of any championship is to determine which skater is best on that particular day (or during that particular event).

There are no lifetime achievement medals in skating, other than some Hall of Fame type recognition. And there shouldn't be.

At the Olympics, one skater was the best. At the WC, it was someone else.

I'm not even sure what this back-and-forth is all about.

Exactly. Thread closed :biggrin:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
This thread has won the contest among the most toxic threads on this forum :biggrin:
It's also interesting to notice that junior competition threads are much more "mature" than this

Maybe it is because some posters who favour a certain style were quite happy with the world junior ladies results, versus the same crowd being unhappy with senior ladies results. Note, the normal naysayers are now complaining in this Thread, that others are talking about the new world champion too much. I wonder if they made the same complaint regarding the current junior champion...hardly! Just sayin'. :confused2:

millie

Medalist
Maybe it is because some posters who favour a certain style were quite happy with the world junior ladies results, versus the same crowd being unhappy with senior ladies results. Note, the normal naysayers are now complaining in this Thread, that others are talking about the new senior ladies world champion, too much. I wonder if they made the same complaint regarding the world junior champion...hardly! Just sayin. :confused2:

Hey Osmond-4-Gold, just go to Kaetlyn’s Facebook page and see the beautiful photos from Japan Stars on Ice. Kaetlyn posted photos of her, Zhenya and Alina looking so happy and enjoying themselves. They all show good sportsmanship. Looks so nice...three role models for the younger skaters. Shows that you can be competitors but still be friends...gotta love it..