2018 Worlds Pairs Free Skate | Page 58 | Golden Skate

2018 Worlds Pairs Free Skate

QuadThrow

Medalist
Unpopular decision, but it actually worked out well for a while! Last season both P/J and Y/Z made the GPF with Y/Z getting silver, and then going on to win 4th at Worlds. This year I don't think it was an issue with the teams so much as the programs. Also let's not forget that Hao Zhang is ancient as far as pairs skaters go and placing 7th at Worlds at his age (33 or 36 depending on who you ask) is a huge accomplishment too.

I thought Zhang turns 34 this year... (Aljona, Hao and Ondrej are of the same age)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think that was the idea, like I enjoy a dramatic and emotional performance as much as the next person, but there's something refreshing about a program that doesn't take itself too seriously? Ah I don't know anymore.

See: Javier Fernandez or Marchei/Hotarek on how to do a program that is playful and doesn't take itself seriously, but is still competitive. I'll say it again, I loved Evgenia's commitment to the character of the music, I absolutely loathe Vladimir in that program and think it's so wrong for him. It's fine to explore artistically but you have to commit.

This is a perfect example of something not working at all, unless both partners are fully into it. The silver is a reflection of their technical ability and for me, definitely not reflective of the actual program's merit. Their SP is so serious, and the FS is so flippant for them - they need a happy medium.

Spinning

On the Ice
Don't play with my emotions :sad21: I was just rewatching their Humility and Love LP during one of the resurfacings and different commentators throughout various performances were just in awe of their skating and connection, calling them the future of Chinese skating and future World Champions :cry:

You have no idea how many times I watched that FS in the last 2 years..... virtual hug for you. :cry:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Waiting for metro, but still euphoric about the whole finale, waited until the very end, got flag signed by Vanessa and Morgan, bummer I did not got Aljona and Bruno signed, but screamed from the top of my lungs and waived German flag like no tomorrow.

What a moment, it was worth every doubt I had before going. Sending this energy to You all!!!

QuadThrow

Medalist
Waiting for metro, but still euphoric about the whole finale, waited until the very end, got flag signed by Vanessa and Morgan, bummer I did not got Aljona and Bruno signed, but screamed from the top of my lungs and waived German flag like no tomorrow.

What a moment, it was worth every doubt I had before going. Sending this energy to You all!!!

Good guy!

MIM

Medalist
It is questionable to judge what younger generations needs. You dont expect they enjoy seeing someone skating to classical music all the time. Because, they dont. The things are just changing, no matter if we like those changes or not (well its hard to like the changes). But new generations are new generations, something completely different from us ;)

Oh, I am not denying the need for change and variety. Being tasteful does not limit skating to classical music only. New and sophisticated music is produced every day of every different genre. Limiting new and different in a small box can lead you to a dangerous idea like picking Candyman for the LP music.

frida80

Record Breaker
Watching Vanessa and Morgan get a world medal for the first time made this all worth it.

News flash USFS! They train in Florida! Send some pairs there immediately!

Some strange irony that junior pairs just earned three spots and senior pairs just went down to 1.

QuadThrow

Medalist
The judges are defintly not on the Chinese side these days.

Yu/Zhang and Boyang Jin were both underscored today.

Lota

Record Breaker
Unpopular decision, but it actually worked out well for a while! Last season both P/J and Y/Z made the GPF with Y/Z getting silver, and then going on to win 4th at Worlds. This year I don't think it was an issue with the teams so much as the programs. Also let's not forget that Hao Zhang is ancient as far as pairs skaters go and placing 7th at Worlds at his age (33 or 36 depending on who you ask) is a huge accomplishment too.

Not only was this decision unpopular among the fans and just wrong when considering the wishes of the skaters (I remember Yu really wanted to stay with Jin), but it was just short sighted, IMO. Yu/Jin was a strong team that got to the GPF during both of their senior seasons together (right after they got out of juniors to boot!), and with careful training and good programs within several seasons (essentially, by now) they could have become medal contenders. But the Chinese Fed seemed to want quick results, and, while teams that were newly formed are good, I don't think these are the results the Federation was looking for. Essentially, they could have had two teams fighting at the very top (Yu/Jin and Sui/Han), but now they have Sui/Han (sadly, with frequent injuries), and two teams that... well, let's just say few people (if any) consider either team as future contenders for the very top position.

Obviously, things might still change, and Yu/Jin perhaps would not have progressed as many had anticipated, but there was so much excitement for their future from fans and commentators alike. I just think nurturing them would have been better for the Chinese Skating Federation in the long run.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I hear T/M got a lot feedback on the program on their social media, however, I imagine it was very unpleasant and mean feedback, in which case I'd dismiss it as a bunch of haters and if anything be more determined to do the program.
At first, it's aways haters saying that your program is bad. So it gets (rightfully) ignored.

However after a couple of outings, I noticed on their instagram so many people saying things like "please change it, you are great, you deserve more", that kind of thing (not something like "Pair1 or Pair2 is better than you, your program sucks").
I even thought about writting something myself but I don't have the courage to do so :(
So much talent, it's overwhelming and yet... they do deserve better, don't they ? :shrug:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think it would have been better in the long run, but Yu/Jin and Peng/Zhang just seemed to not be working out. I respect the Chinese fed for mixing things up but you can't help but feel the skaters were merely pawns in all of this. But like I said, Yu/Zhang had considerable success together. They got a personal best SP at the Olympics after all.

Peng/Jin got the short end of the stick, but I like how at least the two teams had different personalities and it wasn't simply a partner swap and let's see what happens. There was a method to the madness.

I just wonder if Yu/Jin got back together, poor Peng!

Jedi

On the Ice
Awww Aljona crying!

Okay this is enough. I am happy but you aren't a virgin Aliona when it comes to world titles. I know she is happy but for goodness sake woman you were the heavy favorite. I mean you were up against Candyman! Its not like you solved cancer or world war. Just be grateful LOL. It was a great skate indeed but her but it is like the French in ice dancing I am not sure they should be getting such great score when the skaters are unequally yoked. One skater definitely has lower skills than the others and that should be reflected in the scores. I am glad T and M got a medal and REDEMPTION. Happy for the French - knew it would happen some time BUT this might be one of those bronze or medals- you have had your chance now move on. You got lucky - now don't push it.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The judges are defintly not on the Chinese side these days.

Yu/Zhang and Jin were both underscored today.

I disagree... they made errors. Although it's astonishing that in the FS they gave considerably higher PCS to Peng/Jin than Yu/Zhang, when usually it's the reverse.

QuadThrow

Medalist
Not only was this decision unpopular among the fans and just wrong when considering the wishes of the skaters (I remember Yu really wanted to stay with Jin), but it was just short sighted, IMO. Yu/Jin was a strong team that got to the GPF during both of their senior seasons together (right after they got out of juniors to boot!), and with careful training and good programs within several seasons (essentially, by now) they could have become medal contenders. But the Chinese Fed seemed to want quick results, and, while teams that were newly formed are good, I don't think these are the results the Federation was looking for. Essentially, they could have had two teams fighting at the very top (Yu/Jin and Sui/Han), but now they have Sui/Han (sadly, with frequent injuries), and two teams that... well, let's just say few people (if any) consider either team as future contenders for the very top position.

Obviously, things might still change, and Yu/Jin perhaps would not have progressed as many had anticipated, but there was so much excitement for their future from fans and commentators alike. I just think nurturing them would have been better for the Chinese Skating Federation in the long run.

You are quite right. But I think this is not only a result from the change. I do not believe that Yu/Jin´s future would have been so promissing. She is incredible. But his skills do not convince me.

Yu/Zhang lost the momentum they got from Skate America at the GPF. This was the key moment this season.

QuadThrow

Medalist
I disagree... they made errors. Although it's astonishing that in the FS they gave considerably higher PCS to Peng/Jin than Yu/Zhang, when usually it's the reverse.

Everyone made erros today except Aljona and Bruno.

Yu/Zhang missed just one element but their PCS was 6 points lower than in Skate America.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Oh, I am not denying the need for change and variety. Being tasteful does not limit skating to classical music only. New and sophisticated music is produced every day of every different genre. Limiting new and different in a small box can lead you to a dangerous idea like picking Candyman for the LP music.

I think FS should be open for different masses of people. Do people listen Christina Agiluera nowdays? Yes. Why shouldnt skating programme exist to that music? Using Despacito in ice dance is worse than that because a lot of teams use it, so it become contra productive. One program to Cristina Agiulera is fine for me.