2019-20 South Korean Figure Skating | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2019-20 South Korean Figure Skating

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Ah, the perennial topic of "why can't KSU get their (bleep) together and see how stupid the process is"... All I can do is sigh, KSU is the epitome of corruption and stupidity and worst of all, it's not going to change. (tries to cry, tears of frustration have dried out already)

Burnout is always an issue, but I'm especially worried for Young. She has done five events across three continents, quite often back-to-back, within about two months (Lombardia, US Classic, Youth Olympics qualifiers, SC, CoC), and she's facing rankings, Nats, 4CCs, and Worlds (since she's probably going) within a short time frame. So much moving about on top of all the competing (plus the pressure is even heavier now since after landing her 3A at SC the media has started the "second Yuna" shenanigans again :palmf:), all that physical and mental fatigue on a 15-year-old. I remember my darling squirtle's tears after last Nats as she talked about the pressure of being the No. 1 senior lady, and Young's more of a girl than squirtle is (as in, she acts and speaks more like her age, not trying to be a wise and mature adult). Lord my heart has suffered enough this season already, please let Young not shed the same tears please oh please

And goodness gracious the media has already started on our little phoenix, she has had three interviews calling her, guess what, the second Queen :bang: already and they will soon start pressuring her to medal at JGPF. And there's rankings and Nats literally right after that, I should be glad at this rate that since she's a junior she can't do 4CCs. The media 99% putting Haein and Young against each other around Nats is the cherry on top, I can see the headlines already "You Young versus Lee Haein, who will be the heir to Kim Yuna's throne" or some s(bleep)

This season's Nats will be terrifying, so much pressure on the ladies. Young and Haein I have mentioned already, Yelim needs that 4CC spot for her to not get robbed of a second GP again, Dabin is showcasing her comeback on the biggest stage yet, Haneul has to show that she's not out of the game, Jihun's gearing up for moving up to seniors, Seoyoung and Yeonjeong has JGP medals to live up to, Seoyeon has to prove how she is not falling behind among the 05 trio, and my darling squirtle... She has to prove to herself as well as others that her career is not ruined, that she is indeed one of the very best of our ladies, and that she can deliver scores and results. Last Nats I fell down and almost dislocated my shoulder while trying to throw a plushie, this Nats I just might throw up on my seat :dance2:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Ah, the perennial topic of "why can't KSU get their (bleep) together and see how stupid the process is"... All I can do is sigh, KSU is the epitome of corruption and stupidity and worst of all, it's not going to change. (tries to cry, tears of frustration have dried out already)

OT, but I just realized that KSU lost Ahn Hyunsoo (his russian name is Viktor An) to Russia some years ago :eek: and then he went to win like 3 gold medals for Russia at Olympics... :drama:
Somehow, I didn't think about short track and figure skating together, but it just hit me that it's the same organization. oh, boy, did I not think KSU was that big of a problem until now... :shocked:

seabm7

Final Flight
Thank you, seabm, for the information. Can I get this straight, does this mean in order to qualify for Worlds, 4CC's, and Youth Olympics, a skater like Young You would have to skate at 3 different national competitions: qualifications for Youth Olympics which already happened, the first Nationals to qualify for the 4CC's on December 13, and then the final Nationals in early January to decide who is going to Worlds ?
Yes, Young will do 3 different competitions.

I am mentioning Young You because she is the only one I know of who has already competed against Juniors this season, Ha-ein Lee, to go to the Youth Olympics, but are Eunsoo Lim and Ha-ein Lee also competing at this many in effect national events?
Eunsoo skipped Youth Olympic selection, where the technical requirement was in the Junior format.

This seems like it could potentially cause fatigue and be too much of a burden for resting and preparing for more important international competitions. Why can't results in international competition and one nationals be used as the basis for placement to these international events especially among the top skaters?
Not all the Korean skaters can afford international competitions. KSU does not have money to support the skaters going to Challengers and other B competitions. Skaters have to find the travel fund by themselves. I guess this is one of the reasons why KSU is hesitant to include international results for their selection criteria.

On the other hand, many figure skating fans in Korea think it should be possible to create a bye system for skaters going to senior/junior Grand Prix finals, in lieu of Ranking Competition.

Besides, what will happen with Ha-ein Lee since the Junior Grand Prix Final is only a week before the first national event? In any case, I wish Ha-ein Lee skates great in the Junior Grand Prix Final. I also hope all the skaters have wonderful performances at Nationals.

Hae-in Lee has to skate at Ranking Competition for the national envelope. But I think she will be OK. She cannot go to 4CC anyway, due to her age.

frida80

Record Breaker

Burnout is always an issue, but I'm especially worried for Young. She has done five events across three continents, quite often back-to-back, within about two months (Lombardia, US Classic, Youth Olympics qualifiers, SC, CoC), and she's facing rankings, Nats, 4CCs, and Worlds (since she's probably going) within a short time frame. So much moving about on top of all the competing (plus the pressure is even heavier now since after landing her 3A at SC the media has started the "second Yuna" shenanigans again :palmf:), all that physical and mental fatigue on a 15-year-old. I remember my darling squirtle's tears after last Nats as she talked about the pressure of being the No. 1 senior lady, and Young's more of a girl than squirtle is (as in, she acts and speaks more like her age, not trying to be a wise and mature adult). Lord my heart has suffered enough this season already, please let Young not shed the same tears please oh please

And goodness gracious the media has already started on our little phoenix, she has had three interviews calling her, guess what, the second Queen :bang: already and they will soon start pressuring her to medal at JGPF. And there's rankings and Nats literally right after that, I should be glad at this rate that since she's a junior she can't do 4CCs. The media 99% putting Haein and Young against each other around Nats is the cherry on top, I can see the headlines already "You Young versus Lee Haein, who will be the heir to Kim Yuna's throne" or some s(bleep)

This season's Nats will be terrifying, so much pressure on the ladies. Young and Haein I have mentioned already, Yelim needs that 4CC spot for her to not get robbed of a second GP again, Dabin is showcasing her comeback on the biggest stage yet, Haneul has to show that she's not out of the game, Jihun's gearing up for moving up to seniors, Seoyoung and Yeonjeong has JGP medals to live up to, Seoyeon has to prove how she is not falling behind among the 05 trio, and my darling squirtle... She has to prove to herself as well as others that her career is not ruined, that she is indeed one of the very best of our ladies, and that she can deliver scores and results. Last Nats I fell down and almost dislocated my shoulder while trying to throw a plushie, this Nats I just might throw up on my seat :dance2:

Don’t forget YOG. Young will probably do Ranking, Nationals, YOG, 4CC, and Worlds.

ANd this ia why I’m sadly privately glad she didn’t make the GPF. At least she gets a short rest before ranking.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
OT, but I just realized that KSU lost Ahn Hyunsoo (his russian name is Viktor An) to Russia some years ago :eek: and then he went to win like 3 gold medals for Russia at Olympics... :drama:
Somehow, I didn't think about short track and figure skating together, but it just hit me that it's the same organization. oh, boy, did I not think KSU was that big of a problem until now... :shocked:

Oh yeah, that was just the tip of the iceberg. You seriously cannot overestimate how corrupt and idiotic KSU is...

Don’t forget YOG. Young will probably do Ranking, Nationals, YOG, 4CC, and Worlds.

And this ia why I’m sadly privately glad she didn’t make the GPF. At least she gets a short rest before ranking.

Oh lord you're right. I kinda wish Haein would substitute Young at YOG, let Young rest before 4CCs too... Oh wait Haein has JGPF :dbana:

frida80

Record Breaker
Oh yeah, that was just the tip of the iceberg. You seriously cannot overestimate how corrupt and idiotic KSU is...

Oh lord you're right. I kinda wish Haein would substitute Young at YOG, let Young rest before 4CCs too... Oh wait Haein has JGPF :dbana:

Great. I just realized my little fav is going to JGPF, Rankings, Nationals, then JW. This is ridiculous.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Great. I just realized my little fav is going to JGPF, Rankings, Nationals, then JW. This is ridiculous.

Why does Haein need to attend the ranking competition? What does it rank other than 4CCs (which she is too young for)?

seabm7

Final Flight
If you get into the national team, you obtain a right to use the national training facility.

gotoschool

Medalist
I thought Haein Lee's SP performance was beautiful with expressive use of her arms, smooth stroking of the blades across the ice and fluid movement that matched the mood of the music.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Isn't our little phoenix wonderful, her first JGPF and what a free skate :luv17: She also got all her levels too, and while I could say a lot of things about her PCS I won't because it's better for my mental health as well as everybody else's to just love our girl and be extremely, utterly, excessively :laugh: proud of her. Oh Haein, what a feat for you dearie, now go rest and save your energy for the hectic :palmf: schedule soon to follow...

Ulrica

On the Ice
I just want to say that Haein deserved better, and I hope she is fairly judged in the future.

Also, what a performance, truly a beautiful and talented skater.

chz

On the Ice
agreed. for my metal health too. she was so expressive even during the jumps.