2019-2020 Programs by Discipline | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2019-2020 Programs by Discipline

figurefan0726

Final Flight
Mai Mihara apparently performed her new SP at the Fantasy on Ice in Kobe. Reports say that it included a violin, but the music is unknown.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Laurine Lecavelier

SP: 'November' (Max Richter)
FS: Chopin

Choreographer: Massimo Scali

Thanks to Flagstaff in her Fan Fest for the information. :)

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
NOBODY is doing ANYTHING original for the RD so far.

Er, Priscilla? Demoiselles de Rochefort? Some people are looking a little left of the box, at least. It's a bit much to expect anyone to throw out a Hadestown RD or something, though; most people have only just realised it exists and three-quarters of the OBC recording hasn't even been released yet (in the US, much less the rest of the world...).

Though 'Way Down Hadestown' would make for a great Finnstep. In character, Persephone vs. Hades y/y? :)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Er, Priscilla? Demoiselles de Rochefort? Some people are looking a little left of the box, at least. It's a bit much to expect anyone to throw out a Hadestown RD or something, though; most people have only just realised it exists and three-quarters of the OBC recording hasn't even been released yet (in the US, much less the rest of the world...).

Though 'Way Down Hadestown' would make for a great Finnstep. In character, Persephone vs. Hades y/y? :)

There are a zillion older musicals which would make wonderful RD programs. I believe you were the one who suggested The Lambert Walk, which would be great. Zingy and fun and still fresh. And with enough of a campy edge to make it a delight. I just got sent a book about every single musical on Broadway in the 30s. You can go back even to the 20s for little gem musicals. The material is abundant and OUT THERE, but no one seems to be taking the time to look at even the rim of the box, let alone outside it. I'd love to see as inspired a choice as Marlie's Yankee Polka to Giselle. Not looking forward to the 2849837939739473947394933rd RD to Cabaret, etc.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
There are a zillion older musicals which would make wonderful RD programs. I believe you were the one who suggested The Lambert Walk, which would be great. Zingy and fun and still fresh. And with enough of a campy edge to make it a delight. I just got sent a book about every single musical on Broadway in the 30s. You can go back even to the 20s for little gem musicals. The material is abundant and OUT THERE, but no one seems to be taking the time to look at even the rim of the box, let alone outside it. I'd love to see as inspired a choice as Marlie's Yankee Polka to Giselle. Not looking forward to the 2849837939739473947394933rd RD to Cabaret, etc.

Well, considering how many couples are in the field and how few choices we know about yet, we can't in all honesty say that nobody's looking, only that from the teams we've heard from to date, the most unusual choices are a French film and a camp-classics jukebox musical from a country most people don't even know produces any. You never know; somebody may come out with a Noel Coward medley tomorrow, or the overture from The Grand Duke, or whatever.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

Well, the specific thing I notice for yet another season is being rather typical and conventional in SD/RD program choice/theme than challenging and original - this coming ESPECIALLY from rather well-known and recognized teams, placing rather in upper half of the overall ranking than not. There's a little desire I feel to choose and work with something truly 'new' for ice dance perspective in terms of music, story, characters - the 'warhorse' type of programs seems to give a sense of already 'being recognized' and providing story that judges know already, the 'foundation' to build on. Yes, I see certain allure in that choice, to have popular theme to work on, but at the same time I can't help but feeling underwhelmed by 'shortcut' kind of approach and lack of originality, the sense of it being a 'safe choice' to go with. I cannot tell right now, maybe these programs will be good/effective for teams, yet from conceptual point of view there will be a feel of missed opportunity, especially having musical as a RD theme for the season...

Pieces like 'Cabaret', 'Chicago' or 'Moulin Rouge' have limited range of music to choose from and rather well-known plot/characters' profile - we just know by these choices what to expect, from both visual and interpretational points of view I feel (not even factoring in what team/skater did it already) and that sense of predictability makes for me anticipation to see the actual program rather subdued. I agree, nothing too crazy/quirky and totally out of the box should be expected, but I wish for at least slightly more effort shown in research, make a show out of something we do not exactly expect than being 'showy' with things we've already seen quite a few times.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Hurtado & Khaliavin are doing Hello, Dolly, which is both an older musical & one I don't remember being used before. (Probably someone has used it at some point, but it's certainly not overused).

And if Hawayek & Baker are using Saturday Night Fever for their RD, then that is not overused in competitive dance programs either. Nor is Sales & Wamsteeker's Mama Mia, though I do remember someone had a competitive Abba program at some point. We may get a lot of disco all in one go this season, but it's not like it has been overused for dance programs in the long run.

If you are doing something overused or that is in a current box office hit or Oscar-winning film, then it is good to announce early. As it might possibly save us from multiple other top teams using it. (Though that doesn't work so well when you aren't at the top. Apparently Carreira & Ponomarenko were not scary enough last season to save us from the umpteen Maria de Buenos Aires programs;)).

As far as the overused music announcements in the RD that we have had so far, well, most I am not too excited about; but I do think Betina Popova is a perfect fit for Cabaret. (As for Mozgov, I'm not as sure; but, really, who watches him anyway?) P&M already have unique lifts that fit the style of the program.

Ducky

On the Ice

There's still time for someone to discover Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812. (Yes, I'm still mourning that this show closed on B'way waaaay too soon.)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You really want that WWII uniform:laugh:

But I think you may need to pick another tune, ;) "In the Mood" was recorded in 39, way before the states entered the war, and is famous for jitterbugging and jiving as well as Glenn Miller and the war.
Given Donovan's take on "Capone", I'm predicting another costume in that vein. And I liked the Capone costume, so that would suit:agree:

Didn't Ryan Bradley skate to some WWII era music wearing a military uniform?

Maybe that program is obscure enough to not be viewed as derivative.

Didn't Ryan Bradley skate to some WWII era music wearing a military uniform?

Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B. Best performance was 2011 U.S. Nationals. :rock:

Too bad they didn't alllow vocals in those days so he could have used the Andrews Sisters.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
There's still time for someone to discover Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812. (Yes, I'm still mourning that this show closed on B'way waaaay too soon.)

Amber Gray was insanely good in that one too. We could have two programs featuring her voice if people make good choices!

Ladybug89

On the Ice
Camden Pulkinen:

Sp: Caruso by Josh Groban, Choreo by Josh Farris

Lp: Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence snd Rain by Ryuichi Sakamoto, Choreo by Stéphane Lambiel 😍

Source: His Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Byn7vtPJRMJ/?igshid=107uj2pti3piu

My opinion: Both great choices that suit him very very well! Especially looking forward to the Free, though as Stéphane skated to that music himself it’s quite a brave thing trying to catch up with that..